Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
Kane going LTIR doesn't really do anything they have to be cap compliant to start the year I believe

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Reports say he won’t be ready for the start of the season per TSN surgery might be needed as he is dealing with a number of issues

Sure, but he'd have to be gone all year for them to benefit enough from it to keep both. I think the second year is where it will hurt even more with needing to ink Drasitel and Bouchard.

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
Sure, but he'd have to be gone all year for them to benefit enough from it to keep both. I think the second year is where it will hurt even more with needing to ink Drasitel and Bouchard.
I meant more along the lines that his cap hit still counts even if LTIR. Any CAP people here can confirm that it still counts until season starts?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not saying that although it is an option - they need to address the issue which might include convincing him to be more active on the PP.
And IMO, that's a challenge with a player like 55 - that stagnant PP has been there for years and convincing a vet to make big changes, is not easy.
Especially if that vet feels there is no issue with how he is QB'ing that particular PP.

If there is a need to make changes but a struggle in getting players on board, what do you do? As noted by others, sometimes that means moving players around.
We need to get our PP in gear - that has to be a priority and the org needs to get it done (rather than letting it run broken like it has for years.
That sure is a lot of assumptions packed into 1 post.

Reactions: Jets 31

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That sure is a lot of assumptions packed into 1 post.
Thanks - I tried to get as much in there as possible.

Look, I'm open to anything - the PP is a major problem and I posted what I think is one of the major issues.
If you disagree, pile on with your opinion - I'd rather see that over what you added to the discussion

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Look, I'm open to anything - the PP is a major problem and I posted what I think is one of the major issues.
If you disagree, pile on with your opinion - I'd rather see that over what you added to the discussion

I agree with @LowLefty on this. We've had a static pp and it's been an issue since Maurice. So that means two assistant coaches have had their hand at it. The main constants have been Mark, KC, and JoMo operating the three outside spots on the umbrella.

The only thing we have seen the last four years is a change in who's playing the bumper and down low positions.

For me I think they need to make fundamental changes to who and how the hb players operate.

Neither Scheifele or KC should be safe in their roles. Both can play other spots on the pp and it should he investigated.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I agree with @LowLefty on this. We've had a static pp and it's been an issue since Maurice. So that means two assistant coaches have had their hand at it. The main constants have been Mark, KC, and JoMo operating the three outside spots on the umbrella.

The only thing we have seen the last four years is a change in who's playing the bumper and down low positions.

For me I think they need to make fundamental changes to who and how the hb players operate.

Neither Scheifele or KC should be safe in their roles. Both can play other spots on the pp and it should he investigated.
I'd love to see a dynamic movement PP like Colorados where you use ehlers speed to enter the zone, then put the opponent in the spin cycle with ehlers,jmo,Connor flying around. 2nd PP similar with lambert speed entering the zone but then more emphasis on bombs from the point with Miller, use Cole to feed seem 1Ts if they take away miller and potentially Connor to juke around down low to free up seems and Miller bomb.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

All I pointed out was you made assumption on top of assumption on things that there is no way any of us actually have any knowledge of. All I can go by is what we can see on the ice and IMO we had a terribly flawed set up that was way too static, and since our PP remained crap no matter who was on it I'd lay it mostly on coaching. I'm hopeful we see a much improved PP this coming season.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
All I pointed out was you made assumption on top of assumption on things that there is no way any of us actually have any knowledge of. All I can go by is what we can see on the ice and IMO we had a terribly flawed set up that was way too static, and since our PP remained crap no matter who was on it I'd lay it mostly on coaching. I'm hopeful we see a much improved PP this coming season.
Assumptions are what we do around here half the time so I'm surprised by your comment.
But I get what you saying - but I don't think it was a flawed system.
Bones noted that they had to get more movement into the PP - but they didn't so I have to "assume" it's player execution.

Scheif is the guy that is most likely to hang on to the puck out there any given PP - he simply doesn't execute quickly.
IMO, it starts there - he needs to get them cycling when he has the puck. I see JoMo and KC both moving with the puck when they have it - both looking for middle ice or pass options. But I don't see 55 moving - he doesn't venture net front or high slot - he just watches.

I'm not anti-55 but I am concerned about him executing a plan - he appears to be making the decisions out there because the org has noted on a few occasions that they want a quick PP that is moving - yet is doesn't. And yes, that is an assumption but until I hear a better reason why this team talks about a high energy PP but doesn't execute one - and it looks to me like it's on the QB who likes to slow things down. He plays the same way on 5/5 zone entry - slow - so I'm betting there is some 55 influence in how that thing is executed.

I hope they figure it out because I'd rather not assume it's a player not following script - but that's what it look like to me.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Assumptions are what we do around here half the time so I'm surprised by your comment.
Bones noted that they had to get more movement into the PP - but they didn't so I have to "assume" it's player execution.

Scheif is the guy that is most likely to hang on to the puck out there any given PP - he simply doesn't execute quickly.
IMO, it starts there - he needs to get them cycling when he has the puck. I see JoMo and KC both moving with the puck when they have it - both looking for middle ice or pass options. But I don't see 55 moving - he doesn't venture net front or high slot - he just watches.

I'm not anti-55 but I am concerned about him executing a plan - he appears to be making the decisions out there because the org has noted on a few occasions that they want a quick PP that is moving - yet is doesn't. And yes, that is an assumption but until I hear a better reason why this team talks about a high energy PP but doesn't execute one - and it looks to me like it's on the QB who likes to slow things down. He plays the same way on 5/5 zone entry - slow - so I'm betting there is some 55 influence in how that thing is executed.

I hope they figure it out because I'd rather not assume it's a player not following script - but that's what it look like to me.
We will see how it plays out, but Arniel's interview today focused on revamping special teams, so I'm far less inclined on putting it on any 1 player. Especially in light that the PP gets even worse when he wasn't in the lineup, with no change in the setup.

Reactions: Jets 31

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ah kk wasn't sure if that meant they signed. But saw STL traded with PIT for their original picks back too this morning

thanks stl for some sports drama/fun :popcorn:

Haha
I say thanks for putting the screw to Edmonton...No way Oilers were coming in with those offers. Bit surprising that a hometown boy took that route of the offer sheet, but Bowman must have been lowballing him. Now the Oil not only have to LTIR Kane, probably for the whole season, or trade him, with a sweetener to dump that contract, but move another player like Ceci or Kulak to make the Cap, and have room to manoeuvre, if they match.

Reactions: KingBogo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I say thanks for putting the screw to Edmonton...No way Oilers were coming in with those offers. Bit surprising that a hometown boy took that route of the offer sheet, but Bowman must have been lowballing him. Now the Oil not only have to LTIR Kane, probably for the whole season, or trade him, with a sweetener to dump that contract, but move another player like Ceci or Kulak to make the Cap, and have room to manoeuvre, if they match.

Holloway wasn't getting much in the way of opportunity there. He's blocked from the top 6, so he's forcing the issue. At the end of the day it's a business and he only has 18 points in 90 games and was stuck on the fourth line. I don't see why he'd be loyal when they brought on a bunch of has been vets to play over him.

He's essentially saying pay and play me or I'll go somewhere else to maximize my earnings. This essentially their version of Roslovic.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg

Pssst.

I know a guy who might do that "execute" thing for you for a cool 8.7 mill or less*!
He's a jive talking mofo with a pimp hand that delivers nasty clappers faster than 1984 Van Halen to a run of Columbian Marching Powder.

Disclaimer: Not trying to revive this topic at all, just he was the first thing that popped in my head when you were talking about needing someone to execute, it is one thing he does really well.
Patty Da Pimp.jpeg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik is in the process of selling his majority share of the team, according to Eduardo A. Encina of the Tampa Bay Times. Sportsnet reported that co-founder and CEO of investment firm Blue Owl Capital, Doug Ostrover is believed to be the buyer. According to Sportsnet, Vinik bought the Lightning in 2010 for a reported $170 million

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik is in the process of selling his majority share of the team, according to Eduardo A. Encina of the Tampa Bay Times. Sportsnet reported that co-founder and CEO of investment firm Blue Owl Capital, Doug Ostrover is believed to be the buyer. According to Sportsnet, Vinik bought the Lightning in 2010 for a reported $170 million

Pretty nice return on his investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad