Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Wait a minute, I am just catching up here... the Coyotes move to Utah and the league let them keep their history? WTF man!

Edit: I just realized I subconsciously stole @UFO 's "wtf man" from another post, so this is me giving attribution where it is due.

So the way it worked was this - Utah bought the assets of the Coyotes (mainly being the players under contract), but technically the Arizona franchise just went dormant. Owner Alex Meruelo could re-activate the franchise once he built a new arena and paid the $1 billion. The Utah HC is then considered to be a new franchise.

But Meruelo announced today that after the land auction that was his latest plan to build an arena was cancelled that he is just folding the Coyotes "franchise".

So look - I never cared a whole lot about the Jets 1.0 "official history" being in Arizona. The current team did just fine by quoting "Winnipeg NHL history", rather than franchise history. But given how that 1.0 history doesn't belong to any franchise it does feel like it might be worth asking to bring it back (and put the Atlanta history on a shelf in case a new Atlanta franchise wants it).

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Skinner was fine in the Final apart from the 2nd period in Game 3. The Reinhart shot was tricky for a goalie, between the pad and the glove by the elbow.
Then you watch Bob making insane saves off those Draisaitl one timers...it's the playoffs, you either get the big save or you don't...Oilers didn't get it when they needed it most...I think this was the Oilers peak.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Then you watch Bob making insane saves off those Draisaitl one timers...it's the playoffs, you either get the big save or you don't...Oilers didn't get it when they needed it most...I think this was the Oilers peak.
When you get to the final four its mostly a lot to do with getting the breaks and bounces.
Game 6 ... 2 of the 3 goals Bob did get a piece of the puck but they went into the net ... a 3rd goal was a good shot post and in and 2 empty net goals but Bob had a bad game right?
Off side goal called back by a split second and Panther shots being blocked or going wide and you have an Oilers win.
Game 7 ... I didn't watch just saw highlights but the Oilers can't get shots threw or their sticks on the puck ... the puck hits the post and out .. you have a different result.
Having 2 days off between games probably helped the Oilers too with McDavid averaging over 25+ Mins a game except for the 2 blow games.

Reactions: roccerfeller

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
When you get to the final four its mostly a lot to do with getting the breaks and bounces.
Game 6 ... 2 of the 3 goals Bob did get a piece of the puck but they went into the net ... a 3rd goal was a good shot post and in and 2 empty net goals but Bob had a bad game right?
Off side goal called back by a split second and Panther shots being blocked or going wide and you have an Oilers win.
Game 7 ... I didn't watch just saw highlights but the Oilers can't get shots threw or their sticks on the puck ... the puck hits the post and out .. you have a different result.
Having 2 days off between games probably helped the Oilers too with McDavid averaging over 25+ Mins a game except for the 2 blow games.
Panthers defense boxed out well all game....Oilers had their chances, Bouchard off the post, you get Mc David one on one with Bob, and he gets muscled off the puck, and Hyman will have nightmares about not burying the chance he had...The Oilers PP with the Panthers down a stick, all those things when you look back, chances missed...but you are right that's playoff hockey.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I get that, and let me be clear - I have very little love for the Oilers. Some of our family in Edmonton are cast-iron, dyed-in-the-wool hard-core Oil, and we Winnipeggers share a healthy rivalry, which goes back to my grandparents' generation. :D

However if you love the game of hockey its difficult not to appreciate what the Oilers did, and especially what they *nearly* did. It seems that on the mains McDavid gets a shyte load of criticism and vitriol but the reality is that he is absolutely great, and nearly pulled his talent-unbalanced (less that adequate depth) squad through.

Hats off to the Oil, it was a legendary run, and one for coffee table discussions that will exist for decades.

dog-pug.gif

comedy-jump.gif

almost-made.gif
You hate to see the Oilers lose…
No you don’t :laugh:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Looks like Draisaitl's injuries are confirmed and McDavid also had a serious injury.

I’m not surprised in the least. McDavid was a non factor the last 2 games. Their support players were huge in game 6. Connor Brown was one of their best players in the series.

Drasaitl was a literal non factor all series. Im surprised his injuries weren’t worse honestly.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I watched Nurse fairly closely and I had no idea he was that bad. Stylistically he reminds me of Dillon but honestly a lot worse.

And I know Drai is banged up but after watching him fora couple months I don't care what kind of talent he has, I would never want him on my team. Talk about no f***s given defensively

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I’m not surprised in the least. McDavid was a non factor the last 2 games. Their support players were huge in game 6. Connor Brown was one of their best players in the series.

Drasaitl was a literal non factor all series. Im surprised his injuries weren’t worse honestly.
I'm pretty sure his rib injury came in the 1st round against the Kings, remarkable he played as well as he did.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I hope the Oilers and their fans enjoyed their time in the sun, it was a great run but I don't see them being back in the SC final next year

Part of me feels that if they can keep most of their team together, they’ll be back next year in the big show

But I can’t help but agree with you that so much went right for them this year….key cost control, balance top down, multiple players performing above expectations, and their special teams were so good … unlikely they keep that up next year.

They do have Mcdavid so anything is possible, but I remember thinking in 2018 our run was “just the beginning” when in fact it was our peak thus far. We fortunately have a lot more in the development pipeline - oilers have given up a ton to get to where they are today so they can “win now” during mcdavid’s and drai’s prime

If they fumble next year say in the first round similar to how we went down vs blues in 2019, and drai doesn’t end up resigning, I have a really hard time seeing the light for them

I don't think much changes for them roster wise. Lots of UFAs to sign but none that will command big dollars really. They have one more kick at the can with the current core and I think they give it their all. They are still in one of the weaker divisions in the league and could easily come out the other side to a WCF again where as we have seen anything can happen.

They probably buy out Campbell which gives them a bit more flexibility. I could see them going all in next year and leveraging a lot of the future to go on a run.

Their cap situation is going to be tricky. They have to go “all in” beyond what they did this year next year for payoff because the year after is looking really rough

They may be forced to let Drai walk, or, if they do sign him, it’s going to hamper the rest of their team

Bouchard’s emergence has been both a blessing and a curse because he’s going to demand a serious increase in pay

I saw some fans suggesting even with a Campbell buyout they only have 14 mil or so to work with, they’re going to lose some key kogs this year and then what if they don’t make it deep in playoffs?

What if this was their “Jets of 2018” moment with this group

Reactions: bustamente

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad