Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You think they let Draisaitl play towards UFA...Losing a player of his calibre for nothing would surely sink the Oil in the long run, and likely force Holland to trade Mc David too. Maybe he'll re-sign an extension but I can see Draisaitl being the big dog in another market, like Boston.

I think both will command north of 13mil. Bouchard likely gets at least 9. Its gonna be an interesting season for them. I think everything not bolted to the floor is going out in favour of a Cup run.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Utah HC has gone all out with merch

1719328991088.png

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
As part of the sale to Utah, the Jets 1.0 history stayed with the Phoenix franchise, to be "reactivated" one day. But, now that Meruelo has decided to walk away, and once the NHL makes it official that there is no more franchise...

So, now who owns the Jets 1.0 history?
None of it belongs to Arizona, on the same note Thrashers past history belongs in Atlanta!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Where it "belongs" isn't the issue. I know where it belongs. It's where or who Bettman thinks owns it.

Chance for AZ to clean the slate a little and just transfer it all over to us. I'd imagine Chipman and co are all for it so its just a matter of the league letting it happen. Perhaps we need to make some noise about this. Think a petition would work?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As part of the sale to Utah, the Jets 1.0 history stayed with the Phoenix franchise, to be "reactivated" one day. But, now that Meruelo has decided to walk away, and once the NHL makes it official that there is no more franchise...

So, now who owns the Jets 1.0 history?

It may still be possible for Meruelo to sell the dormant franchise. Of course it couldn't be worth much and the league would need to approve the sale and the buyer.

I expect the NHL would prefer the whole thing to just die a natural death and refuse to consider any potential buyer. Or insist that the dormant franchise was tied to Meruelo and dies with him pulling out.

The cancellation of that land auction was the last nail in the coffin for Phoenix.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It may still be possible for Meruelo to sell the dormant franchise. Of course it couldn't be worth much and the league would need to approve the sale and the buyer.

I expect the NHL would prefer the whole thing to just die a natural death and refuse to consider any potential buyer. Or insist that the dormant franchise was tied to Meruelo and dies with him pulling out.

The cancellation of that land auction was the last nail in the coffin for Phoenix.

I think as part of the deal if he walks away he gives up everything.

I'd imagine whatever is there just transfers to the league until someone decides to pony up the money to buy the rights as part of the expansion fee.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think as part of the deal if he walks away he gives up everything.

I'd imagine whatever is there just transfers to the league until someone decides to pony up the money to buy the rights as part of the expansion fee.

It was probably written up that way from the start. But I don't know that we know that for certain, leaving the possibility of that franchise being transferred to someone else. I think that is a pretty faint possibility though.

Start your petition. I'll sign. :thumbu:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It was probably written up that way from the start. But I don't know that we know that for certain, leaving the possibility of that franchise being transferred to someone else. I think that is a pretty faint possibility though.

Start your petition. I'll sign. :thumbu:

I think it was worded that he only gets everything back when he pays the 1 billion expansion fee. He technically doesn't own anything.

The team itself was sold to Utah and the brand was transfered to the NHL for $1 billion. If he payed the $1 bill expansion he got the brand back and the rights to an expansion team via draft. As far as I undestood it. I believe the NHL worded it this way so that if he walked away or couldn't get it done then they retain the Coyotes brand to then sell as an Arizona expansion team down the line if someone new comes in and decides to pursue an Arizona team.

As far as I can understand it the NHL currently owns the Arizona Coyotes brand and can now basically do what ever they want with it. Our past is in Bettmans hands now.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I don't think much changes for them roster wise. Lots of UFAs to sign but none that will command big dollars really. They have one more kick at the can with the current core and I think they give it their all. They are still in one of the weaker divisions in the league and could easily come out the other side to a WCF again where as we have seen anything can happen.

They probably buy out Campbell which gives them a bit more flexibility. I could see them going all in next year and leveraging a lot of the future to go on a run.
Kings should have won the first round and will win the next time they meet, next year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kings should have won the first round and will win the next time they meet, next year.

Kings are kinda bad to be honest and Kopi and Doughty just get a year older. They are also running over the hill Kuemper as their starter. I would love a 1st round matchup against the Kings next year. Don't @ me when we get swept though.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Arizona is now another potential expansion market....They say one is born every minute so in 10 years someone may have 3 billion to pay for an expansion team in the desert haha

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Wait a minute, I am just catching up here... the Coyotes move to Utah and the league let them keep their history? WTF man!

Edit: I just realized I subconsciously stole @UFO 's "wtf man" from another post, so this is me giving attribution where it is due.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You think they let Draisaitl play towards UFA...Losing a player of his calibre for nothing would surely sink the Oil in the long run, and likely force Holland to trade Mc David too. Maybe he'll re-sign an extension but I can see Draisaitl being the big dog in another market, like Boston.

They were a game away from the Cup and probably were the better team over the 7 game series. They're going all in next year I'd guess and I think they have a very good shot. Might be the pre-season Cup favourites.

Reactions: SCP Guy

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
They were a game away from the Cup and probably were the better team over the 7 game series. They're going all in next year I'd guess and I think they have a very good shot. Might be the pre-season Cup favourites.
Oilers are a funny team, they've twice had to make coaching changes during the season to get a spark out of the team, in the last 3 years. I wonder how Stuart Skinner bounces back next year...that was a weak goal to lose the Stanley Cup, and he was very weak against the Canucks, early in the series...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Oilers are a funny team, they've twice had to make coaching changes during the season to get a spark out of the team, in the last 3 years. I wonder how Stuart Skinner bounces back next year...that was a weak goal to lose the Stanley Cup, and he was very weak against the Canucks, early in the series...

Skinner was fine in the Final apart from the 2nd period in Game 3. The Reinhart shot was tricky for a goalie, between the pad and the glove by the elbow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad