Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Their cap situation is going to be tricky. They have to go “all in” beyond what they did this year next year for payoff because the year after is looking really rough

They may be forced to let Drai walk, or, if they do sign him, it’s going to hamper the rest of their team

Bouchard’s emergence has been both a blessing and a curse because he’s going to demand a serious increase in pay

I saw some fans suggesting even with a Campbell buyout they only have 14 mil or so to work with, they’re going to lose some key kogs this year and then what if they don’t make it deep in playoffs?

What if this was their “Jets of 2018” moment with this group

I think they throw everything at 24/25. All future picks on the table, any prospect that can't immediately help the team gets dealt for anything that can push the team forward for next year. Campbell buyout gives them enough to shore up some of the depth. Cheap, short term deals.
I think the Oilers will be very aggressive this coming season.

- Campbell buyout.
- Kane trade, if you can't trade him straight up sweeten the pot to free up that money. He has an NTC but might waive.
- Maybe try and move Ceci or Kulak.
- Sign Holloway, Brown, Janmark, Foegele, Broberg.

Look to add another top 6 winger, some bottom 6 PKers, and a 2nd pair RHD. Possibly shore up the goalie position if you can. Skinner is decent but perhaps grab another piece to tandem.

They do all of that and I think they can make it back to a Cup.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I watched Nurse fairly closely and I had no idea he was that bad. Stylistically he reminds me of Dillon but honestly a lot worse.

And I know Drai is banged up but after watching him fora couple months I don't care what kind of talent he has, I would never want him on my team. Talk about no f***s given defensively

Yeh Nurse is pretty awful. Which wouldn’t be too big of a deal if it wasn’t for that god awful contract. One of the worst in the league.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Hmmmmm...

The Jets lost to the Avs.... The Avs lost to the Stars.... The Stars lost to the Oilers.... the Oilers lost to the Panthers.
Normally I love that line of thought but in this instance I'm afraid it has no recourse. The Jets shat the bed and shat it hard in round one. They abandoned what made them good through the season and Helle had a down series, to put it somewhat mildly. Play like we did in the regular season and I can by the linear thought process. But did any other team play as poorly as the Jets in the first round?

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Hmmmmm...

The Jets lost to the Avs.... The Avs lost to the Stars.... The Stars lost to the Oilers.... the Oilers lost to the Panthers.

I appreciate the thought, but this linear comparison doesn't take into account the fluidity of situation regarding sudden injuries, coaching (ability to adjust or not) or straight up matchups.

Its a fact, certain teams don't match up well against others eg, Avs and Jets. The Avs began to screen Helly, our defence essentially said "go right ahead" and that was the series. The second variable is that Nuke (who feasted on Winnipeg) was removed from the Dallas series for his own reasons (and suspended for 6 months).

Saying this, the manner in which the Stars handled the Avs was impressive.

In huge contrast, the Stars strategy on defence gained little traction in their next series; Otter went cold; the Stars forwards refused to hit when it came time to play the Oilers. Perhaps it was the matchup and I don't think DeBoer's stubborn blockheaded coaching helped, but the Stars loss to the Oil was impressively awful.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Normally I love that line of thought but in this instance I'm afraid it has no recourse. The Jets shat the bed and shat it hard in round one. They abandoned what made them good through the season and Helle had a down series, to put it somewhat mildly. Play like we did in the regular season and I can by the linear thought process. But did any other team play as poorly as the Jets in the first round?
NO
Let’s see what happens next season
Do we improve in the playoffs!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Part of me feels that if they can keep most of their team together, they’ll be back next year in the big show

But I can’t help but agree with you that so much went right for them this year….key cost control, balance top down, multiple players performing above expectations, and their special teams were so good … unlikely they keep that up next year.

They do have Mcdavid so anything is possible, but I remember thinking in 2018 our run was “just the beginning” when in fact it was our peak thus far. We fortunately have a lot more in the development pipeline - oilers have given up a ton to get to where they are today so they can “win now” during mcdavid’s and drai’s prime

If they fumble next year say in the first round similar to how we went down vs blues in 2019, and drai doesn’t end up resigning, I have a really hard time seeing the light for them

Their cap situation is going to be tricky. They have to go “all in” beyond what they did this year next year for payoff because the year after is looking really rough

They may be forced to let Drai walk, or, if they do sign him, it’s going to hamper the rest of their team

Bouchard’s emergence has been both a blessing and a curse because he’s going to demand a serious increase in pay

I saw some fans suggesting even with a Campbell buyout they only have 14 mil or so to work with, they’re going to lose some key kogs this year and then what if they don’t make it deep in playoffs?

What if this was their “Jets of 2018” moment with this group
This could be the high water mark for the Oilers.

Kane, RNH and Hyman are all over 30, and they have a lot of spots to fill with not much money. Even if they buyout Campbell, that's only $13.9M to bridge Holloway and Broberg and then re-up or replace Brown, Foegele, Henrique, Janmark, Gagner, Perry, Desharnais and sign Skinner's backup.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This could be the high water mark for the Oilers.

Kane, RNH and Hyman are all over 30, and they have a lot of spots to fill with not much money. Even if they buyout Campbell, that's only $13.9M to bridge Holloway and Broberg and then re-up or replace Brown, Foegele, Henrique, Janmark, Gagner, Perry, Desharnais and sign Skinner's backup.

I can't see many of those guys commanding to much. Desharnais and Gagner weren't even in the lineup by the time they were going deep and they showed they could win without Kane.

Holloway and Broberg probably get a modest bump.

Brown, Foegele and Janmark are all likely in $2mil range or less.

Henrique is an interesting case as to what he'll get.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't see many of those guys commanding to much. Desharnais and Gagner weren't even in the lineup by the time they were going deep and they showed they could win without Kane.

Holloway and Broberg probably get a modest bump.

Brown, Foegele and Janmark are all likely in $2mil range or less.

Henrique is an interesting case as to what he'll get.
Brown got $4M this year and Foegele got $2.75M - they won't be taking pay cuts. Foegele had 20 goals and 41 points this season and scored a few big goals in the playoffs. Janmark for $2M is probably fair. Henrique is out of the question if he wants what he's worth.

But if a bunch of these guys have that "unfinished business" vibe, maybe they take discounts.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Brown got $4M this year and Foegele got $2.75M - they won't be taking pay cuts. Foegele had 20 goals and 41 points this season and scored a few big goals in the playoffs. Janmark for $2M is probably fair. Henrique is out of the question if he wants what he's worth.

But if a bunch of these guys have that "unfinished business" vibe, maybe they take discounts.

My bad for some reason was looking at older contracts for the vets. Yeah they might have to pick and choose. Jannmark and Foegele are likely must keeps.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
cup_or_bust-gif.886668

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Whats the deal with Kakko? How is he such a bust? I have no idea about his progression
There was a strange run of top-5 Finnish picks over 4 straight drafts that missed their high expectations: Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Puljujarvi, Juolevi. Laine has arguably never fulfilled his promise either. Heiskanen is the only one of the six Top 5 Finn picks over that span that hit unambiguously.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There was a strange run of top-5 Finnish picks over 4 straight drafts that missed their high expectations: Kakko, Kotkaniemi, Puljujarvi, Juolevi. Laine has arguably never fulfilled his promise either. Heiskanen is the only one of the six Top 5 Finn picks over that span that hit unambiguously.

We had a good long run of solid Finnish players there for sure. A good chunk of them panned out well and quite a few really did not meet expectations.

Rantanen, Aho, Heiskanen, Lundell all turned out pretty good.

Laine, Puljujarvi, Juolevi, Valimaki, Vaakanainen, Vesalainen, Kotkaniemi, Kupari, Kakko, Thomson, Heinola have all failed to live up to expectations.

It seems like players coming out of the Finnish leagues are tough to predict.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Probably wants to talk with Chipman about it before committing to something and riling up the fans

Yeah that may be.

I can't imagine Chipman saying no.

It's a no brainer to finally tie back into the old history. Get the likes of Hawerchuk, Steen, Selanne and many others into the fold seems like a solid idea.

I just wish we could have done it on the 10 year anniversary. Still would have been to late for Ducky. But I think retiring his #10 to the rafters is the first order of business to start 24/25 if this gets done this summer.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Well at least it's in his ear now.

Don't understand how it's to early. It's either something he's willing to do or not willing to do.

Might be a question of whether they're going to split the Coyotes records from the Jets records and set a better precedent going forward.

Reactions: macmaroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad