Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

davonne-rogers-pretends-to-be-shocked.gif

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Wow, that interview with Maurice is my favorite hockey moment this year.

Agree

I would sum up this Stanley Cup Final like this: it was basically the big morning shit you take after you have a cup of coffee. Not necessarily something to get excited about, but it feels nice and satisfying when it’s over.

Legendary post 🤣

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
McDavid will be the only player with a conn smythe as a winner and runner up when his career is done. Book it.

Been saying since he was hired, Bill Zito did a dynamite job building this team. From forsling, Montour, carter v, acquiring Reinhart, Bennett and Tkachuk. Insane job.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Gotta love the Corey Perry HEX. The state of Florida has not been kind to him. He must have crapped in the Cup when he won it with the Ducks. KARMA is not a fan of him.

2020 Dallas loses Cup final to Tampa Bay
2021 Montreal loses Cup final to Tampa Bay
2022 Tampa Bay loses Cup final to Colorado
2024 Edmonton loses Cup final to Florida

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Was REALLY hoping at the start of the finals for the Oilers to lose but I have to admit that I really loved how they fought back. That was one of the all time best finals and I feel for the Oiler players tonight.

Still glad that one of our Canadian rivals didn’t hoist the cup but they were full marks for making this one of the more memorable playoffs in a while.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Was REALLY hoping at the start of the finals for the Oilers to lose but I have to admit that I really loved how they fought back. That was one of the all time best finals and I feel for the Oiler players tonight.

Still glad that one of our Canadian rivals didn’t hoist the cup but they were full marks for making this one of the more memorable playoffs in a while.

I get that, and let me be clear - I have very little love for the Oilers. Some of our family in Edmonton are cast-iron, dyed-in-the-wool hard-core Oil, and we Winnipeggers share a healthy rivalry, which goes back to my grandparents' generation. :D

However if you love the game of hockey its difficult not to appreciate what the Oilers did, and especially what they *nearly* did. It seems that on the mains McDavid gets a shyte load of criticism and vitriol but the reality is that he is absolutely great, and nearly pulled his talent-unbalanced (less that adequate depth) squad through.

Hats off to the Oil, it was a legendary run, and one for coffee table discussions that will exist for decades.

dog-pug.gif

comedy-jump.gif

almost-made.gif

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Gotta love the Corey Perry HEX. The state of Florida has not been kind to him. He must have crapped in the Cup when he won it with the Ducks. KARMA is not a fan of him.

2020 Dallas loses Cup final to Tampa Bay
2021 Montreal loses Cup final to Tampa Bay
2022 Tampa Bay loses Cup final to Colorado
2024 Edmonton loses Cup final to Florida
Sign him.

I have a feeling that McDavid is going to sign in LA when his contract is up and rattle off 4 wins in 5 years and pull a reverse Gretzky.
Draisaitl and the Oil will win the one McD doesn't before he leaves for Manhattan and brings the Cup to Broadway in 2030.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Great to see Florida win last night. Gotta give credit to the Oil for coming back and making an exciting series, and a great G7 to watch.

Zito has done a remarkable job with the Panthers.

Happy for Maurice. He has had some success but always overshadowed by being the biggest loser in Hockey as a coach. That gets washed away now. Now he will always be Stanley Cup Winning Coach Paul Maurice.

That's the nature of public figures and pro sports.

The last time the Panthers went to the final, the buzz and support for the team wore off quickly. Hope that doesn't happen this time.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I hope the Oilers and their fans enjoyed their time in the sun, it was a great run but I don't see them being back in the SC final next year

I don't think much changes for them roster wise. Lots of UFAs to sign but none that will command big dollars really. They have one more kick at the can with the current core and I think they give it their all. They are still in one of the weaker divisions in the league and could easily come out the other side to a WCF again where as we have seen anything can happen.

They probably buy out Campbell which gives them a bit more flexibility. I could see them going all in next year and leveraging a lot of the future to go on a run.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Interesting that this news breaks on the day that Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Clearly, the NHL wants no one to talk about this.

Now bring the Jets 1.0 history back to Winnipeg.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Good thing Florida won because I don’t think anyone standing near Zito would have survived the barrage of water bottles.

Interesting that this news breaks on the day that Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Now bring the Jets 1,0 history back to Winnipeg.

Even when Phoenix doesn’t have team, the clown show continues. Muereleo buggering off might be best for hockey there in the long run anyway.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't think much changes for them roster wise. Lots of UFAs to sign but none that will command big dollars really. They have one more kick at the can with the current core and I think they give it their all. They are still in one of the weaker divisions in the league and could easily come out the other side to a WCF again where as we have seen anything can happen.

They probably buy out Campbell which gives them a bit more flexibility. I could see them going all in next year and leveraging a lot of the future to go on a run.
Yeah, next year is their all-in year before Draisaitl gets paid and/or leaves. I think McDavid will put together his most productive season yet. 160 points? I think it's possible for him.

Kinda crazy they had McDraisaitl all this time on decent contracts and they just now reached the final though.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

You think they let Draisaitl play towards UFA...Losing a player of his calibre for nothing would surely sink the Oil in the long run, and likely force Holland to trade Mc David too. Maybe he'll re-sign an extension but I can see Draisaitl being the big dog in another market, like Boston.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, next year is their all-in year before Draisaitl gets paid and/or leaves. I think McDavid will put together his most productive season yet. 160 points? I think it's possible for him.

Kinda crazy they had McDraisaitl all this time on decent contracts and they just now reached the final though.

The problem for them has generally been everything else. Even Gretz and Messier had Kurri, Anderson, Coffey, Fuhr. A comparable supporting cast for McDrai would be like Hyman, Reinhart, Makar and Ullmark.

They are close with Bouchard and Hyman but probably another really solid top 6 winger and elite starter from being on that level.

It's further compounded by the fact the Oilers won another cup without Gretzky with that core. Are the current Oilers even a playoff team without McDavid?

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad