Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know which game it was, but all the articles about the Blues' cup win mention that they were in 31st place on Jan 2.
One of the cool things you can do with the redesigned NHL standings page is set it to any date during any season...so you can see for yourself: NHL Hockey Standings | NHL.com (edit: it's wild - goes back 106 years!)

The Blues were dead last in points on January 2, 2019, but they were 25th in points percentage at .459 with 45 games to go. The Oilers are currently sporting a .306 percentage with 64 games left.

The Blues changed coaches and then Binnington got called up and went on a tear and the team went 30-10-5 (.722) over their final 45 games.

But Edmonton's already pulled the coaching change. If one of their goalies can go on a run, then maybe... They do have 5 combined games left against punching-bags Chicago and San Jose, but so do all the teams they're chasing.

Last edited:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
One of the cool things you can do with the redesigned NHL standings page is set it to any date during any season...so you can see for yourself: NHL Hockey Standings | NHL.com

The Blues were dead last in points on January 2, 2019, but they were 25th in points percentage at .459 with 45 games to go. The Oilers are currently sporting a .306 percentage with 64 games left.

The Blues changed coaches and then Binnington got called up and went on a tear and the team went 30-10-5 (.722) over their final 45 games.

But Edmonton's already pulled the coaching change. If one of their goalies can go on a run, then maybe... They do have 5 combined games left against punching-bags Chicago and San Jose, but so do all the teams they're chasing.
Thanks for the info! That link is excellent.

The Blues went on a tear and won 75% of their games, mostly because of a hot goalie. I can't see the Oilers doing that unless they magically find a goalie who can play lights out. I think the Thanksgiving curse will strike the Oilers this year and they'll finish out of the playoffs. Fingers crossed.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One of the cool things you can do with the redesigned NHL standings page is set it to any date during any season...so you can see for yourself: NHL Hockey Standings | NHL.com (edit: it's wild - goes back 106 years!)

I am not ready to write off the Oilers yet but they are making it really tough on themselves. Last season I think they ripped off about 18 wins in 20 games towards the end of the season with what was pretty shitty goaltending on paper. What they are doing though is they are narrowing their margin of error.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
This is a very unreasonable stance, but it brings me a bit of joy that the Devils' goaltending is such garbage after their fans' stubborn refusal to give up anything of value for Hellebuyck this past summer.

To think Hellebuyck was available in the summer and all of Oilers/Devils/Sabres said "no thanks"! :laugh: Even if they weren't high on signing him long term he would easily be worth a high end rental price.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To think Hellebuyck was available in the summer and all of Oilers/Devils/Sabres said "no thanks"! :laugh: Even if they weren't high on signing him long term he would easily be worth a high end rental price.
The chatter seems to be that Helly wanted to stay a Jet, he just wanted the organization to confirm to him that they were in it to win. I'm doubting Helly was ever seriously on the market.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
They were a pretty good team last year. Even this year the underlying stats have been good, but they've been beset by terrible goaltending (and that is squarely on Ken Holland's shoulders) and terrible shooting (which is mostly just variance). If one of those things was going alright they'd at least be in the hunt and have a chance to get their act together.

But when you can't stop pucks AND you can't score, it just snowballs from "holding the stick too tight" to desperation to resignation. The team looks psychologically defeated. They got no bounce from the coaching change (2 wins?). I don't know what the options are for shaking it up at this point...but with every L, it looks more and more like a lost season.

Also, I saw the odds to win the Western Conference last night on SN and Edmonton's odds are still way better than Winnipeg's. WTF?
Sportsnet expecting Jack Campbell or Skinner to become Hasek on a Cinderella run? WTF indeed!!!!

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thanks for the info! That link is excellent.

The Blues went on a tear and won 75% of their games, mostly because of a hot goalie. I can't see the Oilers doing that unless they magically find a goalie who can play lights out. I think the Thanksgiving curse will strike the Oilers this year and they'll finish out of the playoffs. Fingers crossed.
St.Louis was a deep very good team that just needed goaltending , Edmonton needs goaltending and a 3rd and 4th line and defense.:laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
St.Louis was a deep very good team that just needed goaltending , Edmonton needs goaltending and a 3rd and 4th line and defense.:laugh:

They also need McDavid to pick it up. I think he rushed back before his injury was fully healed for the Heritage classic and it was a mistake. Last season he put up 153 points and this season he is pacing for 82 currently.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The also need McDavid to pick it up. I think he rushed back before his injury was fully healed for the Heritage classic and it was a mistake. Last season he put up 153 points and this season he is pacing for 82 currently.

It kind of shows just how much his game relies on his explosiveness. It gives me a bit of pause as to just how good he will age as his speed declines.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I'm not sure he was ever available except for a very big price.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sportsnet expecting Jack Campbell or Skinner to become Hasek on a Cinderella run? WTF indeed!!!!
I don't think it's less likely than career .907 Binnington going on that run...(which still isn't too likely).

To have any chance, they'll have to snap out of their current defeated mindset somehow. The fire-the-coach option has been tried. A shakeup panic-trade is I guess the next option? Pionk for Bouchard. Let's go! :laugh:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
It kind of shows just how much his game relies on his explosiveness. It gives me a bit of pause as to just how good he will age as his speed declines.
No doubt about it he’s one of the game’s smartest players, the fact that his brain can keep up with his skating is incredible, but I agree he’s not as cerebral a player as say Crosby is.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Does the NHL have ANY PR people? I swear they intentionally try to make decisions that’ll make them look the worst.

Edit: It’s a Tweet about the NHL threatening to fine Fleury and the Wild for his mask. Someone more tech savvy than I will have to explain how to embed Tweets on mobile without the Twitter app haha

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Trouba lol
Absolutely nails a player with Phillys "enforcer" draped all over him

Does the NHL have ANY PR people? I swear they intentionally try to make decisions that’ll make them look the worst.

Edit: It’s a Tweet about the NHL threatening to fine Fleury and the Wild for his mask. Someone more tech savvy than I will have to explain how to embed Tweets on mobile without the Twitter app haha

URL unfurl="true"]https://x.com/walsha/status/1728102175455474060?s=20[/URL]

Great sport.... Terribly run league.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

They banned themed based stuff and my guess is they deem the helmet themed based. This is all due to the massive blowback to the few players who didn't partake in Pride Nights last year. You could say the NHL overcorrected but they are trying to not put any one event over another. You allow special jerseys and stuff for one, you need to for all.

Personally I'd like to bring it all back as I loved the different culture themed jerseys but then you put individual players back in the crossair if they don't partake. Not sure if the league or PA want that.

BTW it's an absolutely stunning mask.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

HFBoards doesn't recognize the "x.com" so just replace "x" with "twitter" and it embeds properly.

Reactions: Oilpeg

None

Feb 22, 2012

The Wild organization is morally bankrupt. They were using thin blue line merch last year so it doesn't really surprise me that they wouldn't just tell Fleury to wear the mask. Dare the NHL to fine them the same way players like Travis Dermott wore pride tape and forced the NHL to walk the threatened discipline back.

As for the x/twitter thing you might be able to setup autocorrect in your phone's keyboard settings so that x.com will get autocorrected to twitter.com :dunno:
Haven't tested it but a keyboard that recognizes regex should make it possible with something like
Code:
https://x.com/status/* to https://twitter.com/status/*

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Trouba lol
Absolutely nails a player with Phillys "enforcer" draped all over him

Great sport.... Terribly run league.

If there was ever a video clip to show how useless pure fighters are at keeping players safe this is it. The toughest guy in the league was helpless when it came to protecting his teammate because Trouba rightfully declined the fight because dude is a scrub.

You can't keep your players safe with a goon. Its a myth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad