Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Laine dropping some grenades

“It was a complete surprise, yeah. We had some talks (with Vincent), but I don’t think it was related to that. I was kinda blindsided by it, I’m not going to lie. But what are you gonna do? Just suck it up and deal with it. That’s all I have to say about it.
forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.gif

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Laine dropping some grenades

The guy needs to grow up. This is the same guy who had no issue throwing his teammates under the bus in the Finnish press. There is a reason why his game stagnated and it has everything to do with him and his attitude.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
In reference to being a healthy scratch.
“It’s probably, over my career, the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to me,” Laine said.

Actually it's not Laine.... This is your most embarrassing moment.... you fired that puppy in there...

I find this hilarious. He is a bit entitled to say the least. Maybe show more effort! Athletic article is an eye opener. What a whiny little 25 year old man!
take off eh!

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nurse has always been overvalued imo. He's a solid second pairing puck rushing dmen. He'd be good value with a steady defensive dmen on the second pairing making $6 million a year. But he's out of his depth trying to be a number 1 while making elite dmen money.

In some very minor way I feel sorry for Nurse notwithstanding the fat pay day. Nurse had the Trouba thing happen where he got overpaid to go long term as a #1 or at least the anchor the top pair. Like Nurse Trouba wasn’t that guy but he struck gold when Fox arrived and took over the #1 franchise RHD role and Jacob got pushed down to the 2nd pair slot where he has been solid. If Nurse would have been pushed to the 2nd pair and the #3 spot with an acceptable parter he would be fine too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In some very minor way I feel sorry for Nurse notwithstanding the fat pay day. Nurse had the Trouba thing happen where he got overpaid to go long term as a #1 or at least the anchor the top pair. Like Nurse Trouba wasn’t that guy but he struck gold when Fox arrived and took over the #1 franchise RHD role and Jacob got pushed down to the 2nd pair slot where he has been solid. If Nurse would have been pushed to the 2nd pair and the #3 spot with an acceptable parter he would be fine too.

It's Edmontons own fault for bridging him right through to UFA. Had they inked him to a long term deal after his first bridge this wouldn't be an issue. He is the poster boy for just how awful they have managed their cap the last number of years.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I finally caved and paid to be an HF sponsor, what a joy to not to have ads popping up all the time. Makes me want to post on here a bit more again. It's worth it
I'm fine with the ads until the ones that take up all the borders on my phone. They're just way too intrusive and a bad bet from the advertisers. If CeraVe or whatever they're called are only being noticed because they're a nuisance it's bad business. HFBoards moved away from those ads for awhile but we're back to it. Show me all the ads you want, I understand you need to make money to continue to operate, but if I have to sit there and wait for the borders to recede to continue navigating these forums then I'm just going to hate that advertiser and spend less time on this site.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm fine with the ads until the ones that take up all the borders on my phone. They're just way too intrusive and a bad bet from the advertisers. If CeraVe or whatever they're called are only being noticed because they're a nuisance it's bad business. HFBoards moved away from those ads for awhile but we're back to it. Show me all the ads you want, I understand you need to make money to continue to operate, but if I have to sit there and wait for the borders to recede to continue navigating these forums then I'm just going to hate that advertiser and spend less time on this site.
Especially when they constantly zoom in. I can’t even get through reading one post before they interrupt me.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
In reference to being a healthy scratch.
“It’s probably, over my career, the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to me,” Laine said.

Actually it's not Laine.... This is your most embarrassing moment.... you fired that puppy in there...

Beat me to it

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
For all the shit Wheeler takes around here all he wanted was Laine to take the game seriously off the ice. Put some work in and become a superstar instead of listening to your fanbase fawn over you and think you don't have to put the work in.
Complete speculation on my part, but I'd bet that it wasn't the fact that Wheeler wanted Laine to put the work in, but moreso how he went about trying to get him to do it.

Even he said that he'd go back and change his tone if he were to do it over again

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Complete speculation on my part, but I'd bet that it wasn't the fact that Wheeler wanted Laine to put the work in, but moreso how he went about trying to get him to do it.

Even he said that he'd go back and change his tone if he were to do it over again

Sure but it doesn't seem to matter with Laine. I get that he likely should have come in softer but I don't think it makes a difference seeing how has been in CBus now

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

At some point "pretty please, try working out and improving your game "needs a little more bark if the player doesn't do anything to improve his game. No doubt Wheeler was on the old school type, and with a different group of players he might have gone down as a great captain.

Reactions: razorsedge

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
For all the shit Wheeler takes around here all he wanted was Laine to take the game seriously off the ice. Put some work in and become a superstar instead of listening to your fanbase fawn over you and think you don't have to put the work in.

It's like, talk about squandering a golden opportunity that most of the world wouldn't even have the audacity to dream of getting. And I'm certainly not suggest in the least that Laine might have something similar going on, but it makes me think of what Devon Setoguchi could have been if he could have kept his head on straight, you know?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With Laine I think a lot was a personality clash between him and the leaders. He liked to mentally refocus and not think about hockey after leaving the rink. Our leaders were hockey 24/7 types.

They had every right to get on him on his offseason work but I felt they caused uneeded friction getting on him about playing video games or not going out with his teammates on the road. If he'd rather do that to unwind then who cares.

Anyhow I think Laine clearly has his own immaturities and still hasn't figured out that talent only takes you so far. The greats of the sports busted their asses in the offseason looking for any edge they could get.

You read any biography on the players in the HHOF and they worked for it. Crosby busts his ass every offseason and is always looking for things to improve. Kariya was the same way, he was an absolute gym rat that took up numerous hobbies to improve different aspects of his game (i.e juggling to improve his hand eye, ballroom dancing to improve coordinationbl etc.). Laine seems to think talent alone will make him great but that's not what history has shown us.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
If Wheeler told Laine to "stop being a lazy piece of crap and get off the video games, and get your butt in the gym and focus on improving your game." Then I support Wheeler one hundred percent. I highly doubt Laine's idol, Ovechkin, spent his evenings playing video games like a 10 year old.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sportsnet highlights of the good things that edmonton is doing... actually just highlight Carolina's defensive system...

If Wheeler told Laine to "stop being a lazy piece of crap and get off the video games, and get your butt in the gym and focus on improving your game." Then I support Wheeler one hundred percent. I highly doubt Laine's idol, Ovechkin, spent his evenings playing video games like a 10 year old.
Ovie was more coke and hookers than fortnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad