Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
For all the shit Wheeler takes around here all he wanted was Laine to take the game seriously off the ice. Put some work in and become a superstar instead of listening to your fanbase fawn over you and think you don't have to put the work in.

Yup. Didn’t always agree how Wheeler handled himself, but I respect him. Laine was lazy off the ice and just took his talent for granted. His clown act in CBJ is proving this leadership group & management were right to get rid of him. Don’t miss Laine one bit, glad he’s gone.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I received a truckload of shit for claiming that dumping Bjorkstrand to re-sign Laine was a hideous mistake by Columbus. With Bjorkstrand at 19 points in 21 games and Laine in the PB, it's looking alright for me.

I wish we had gotten him, though. He's one of those Nino-like players that are never terrible and often make others look great. To dump him for a measly third rounder was total lunacy.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Yup. Didn’t always agree how Wheeler handled himself, but I respect him. Laine was lazy off the ice and just took his talent for granted. His clown act in CBJ is proving this leadership group & management were right to get rid of him. Don’t miss Laine one bit, glad he’s gone.
How times have changed. I remember posters on here saying Chevy should have been fired immediately after Laine was traded. Glad it worked in our favour because he is the author of his own misfortune.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
How times have changed. I remember posters on here saying Chevy should have been fired immediately after Laine was traded. Glad it worked in our favour because he is the author of his own misfortune.

Not me, I always called out Laine for his poor work ethic and whining. Glad he's gone, heck I liked EK more then I liked Laine and thats saying something. :)

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Being an casual entitled malcontent has caught up to Laine and he doesn't seem to have the social skills to handle what's going on. He will never be the player we thought he could be but if he can ever figure it out there is a place in this league for a one dimensional player but he needs to take responsibility for his career on and off the ice.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I have no idea how Laine train or not. He could be training but it being the wrong type for his needs. Think it was probably 18-19, but I found him slower and bulkier that year. He could've put on a lot weight /mass faster than expected (this stuff happens to teens).

Supposedly had a back injury that year. Again, Maybe due to training, or fatigue? :dunno: the following season he was better and a bit more spry though.

gaming.... meh, every guy around his age is into them (samberg apparently on our team for example there was a clip of the guys roasting him for screen time on games). It's just the new age which it seems like it's way more prevalent now vs when I was lines age (still in the 2000s lol).
If it's his way of winding down as opposed to like Netflix, tiktok, instagram, etc which many others are into i don't see it as a huge deal. not my cup of tea tho. Id much rather rant on hf boards :laugh: :sarcasm:

I don't think anyone was saying that. but many posters wanted him signed for big money and were praising him during his time here. Safe to say, for those who supremely lament the Jets org just take a look at CBJ.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Was looking at the standings.... This team is 14-1-3 with a +25 goal diff (+4 behind VAN with two less gp)

Screenshot_20231123-091704_Chrome.jpg

Lots of season left..... Playing at 141 pt pace through the first quarter.

A 15-20% drop would still have them in the 115-120 pt range lol

• Wow
Reactions: Luc Labelle

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The one saving grace for the Oilers is that apparently Noone else really wants that second wildcard spot. Seattle currently holds it with a .500 points percentage lol.
I mean 10 points out is a lot.. wonder which game st louis turned it around in their cup year

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Oilers board right now. Wow. Keeping silent and just looking, but telling how it is going when this is currently their top thread:

View attachment 772275
As a fan it would be tough to get yourself excited for a rebuild there. I think I'd have to see a clean sweep of brand new management to buy back in.

They just completely butchered a McDavid Draisaitl core and it's extremely unlikely they get players even close to that caliber in a new build even with some first overalls.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As a fan how it would be tough to get yourself excited for a rebuild there. I think I'd have to see a clean sweep of brand new management to buy back in.

They just completely butchered a McDavid Draisaitl core and it's extremely unlikely they get players even close to that caliber in a new build even with some first overalls.
They were a pretty good team last year. Even this year the underlying stats have been good, but they've been beset by terrible goaltending (and that is squarely on Ken Holland's shoulders) and terrible shooting (which is mostly just variance). If one of those things was going alright they'd at least be in the hunt and have a chance to get their act together.

But when you can't stop pucks AND you can't score, it just snowballs from "holding the stick too tight" to desperation to resignation. The team looks psychologically defeated. They got no bounce from the coaching change (2 wins?). I don't know what the options are for shaking it up at this point...but with every L, it looks more and more like a lost season.

Also, I saw the odds to win the Western Conference last night on SN and Edmonton's odds are still way better than Winnipeg's. WTF?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
As a fan it would be tough to get yourself excited for a rebuild there. I think I'd have to see a clean sweep of brand new management to buy back in.

It wouldn’t be a rebuild just a trade for more quality players.

Has oilers drafting/development improved?

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They were a pretty good team last year. Even this year the underlying stats have been good, but they've been beset by terrible goaltending (and that is squarely on Ken Holland's shoulders) and terrible shooting (which is mostly just variance). If one of those things was going alright they'd at least be in the hunt and have a chance to get their act together.

But when you can't stop pucks AND you can't score, it just snowballs from "holding the stick too tight" to desperation to resignation. The team looks psychologically defeated. They got no bounce from the coaching change (2 wins?). I don't know what the options are for shaking it up at this point...but with every L, it looks more and more like a lost season.

Also, I saw the odds to win the Western Conference last night on SN and Edmonton's odds are still way better than Winnipeg's. WTF?

Yeah that doesn't compute. They are 13 points back of us. Good luck making that up.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
If Wheeler told Laine to "stop being a lazy piece of crap and get off the video games, and get your butt in the gym and focus on improving your game." Then I support Wheeler one hundred percent. I highly doubt Laine's idol, Ovechkin, spent his evenings playing video games like a 10 year old.

This guy hits a piece of rubber around with a stick and we sit around and watch, don't think our horses need to be too high here lol

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
There have been some real dud NHL seasons prior to American Thanksgiving not so much this year!

Laine debacle
Oilers sucking badly
Most importantly Jets playing like a team rolling 4 lines which is something we all behold! Huge kudos thus far…

The Baron is enjoying himself!

Hopefully Oilers play a little better, they do not deserve a top 10 pick in the draft.
Nah, they sure do! The deserve everything they've earned.:nopity:
:biglaugh:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have no idea how Laine train or not. He could be training but it being the wrong type for his needs. Think it was probably 18-19, but I found him slower and bulkier that year. He could've put on a lot weight /mass faster than expected (this stuff happens to teens).

Supposedly had a back injury that year. Again, Maybe due to training, or fatigue? :dunno: the following season he was better and a bit more spry though.

gaming.... meh, every guy around his age is into them (samberg apparently on our team for example there was a clip of the guys roasting him for screen time on games). It's just the new age which it seems like it's way more prevalent now vs when I was lines age (still in the 2000s lol).
If it's his way of winding down as opposed to like Netflix, tiktok, instagram, etc which many others are into i don't see it as a huge deal. not my cup of tea tho. Id much rather rant on hf boards :laugh: :sarcasm:

I don't think anyone was saying that. but many posters wanted him signed for big money and were praising him during his time here. Safe to say, for those who supremely lament the Jets org just take a look at CBJ.
Many people of all ages are going to be playing videogames, it's an extremely popular past time. I'm almost 50 and I still play videogames, maybe an hour or 2 a day on average. You just need to learn to put the controller down when there are more important things to do. If you don't, then you have an addiction.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Hopefully Oilers play a little better, they do not deserve a top 10 pick in the draft.
I didn’t realize Yamamoto was a bust for the oilers. What an organization.

Need a “bizarro hockey hall of fame” that would include organizations like the oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad