Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Obviously Demelo is a lot better than Pionk but if you ask 31 GMs who would you rather have Demelo or Zadoroz … 97% would pick Zadorov. He is built for the playoffs and can take it to the next level.
If you want a 3rd pairing left shot D instead of DeMelo go ahead... but demelo is one of the best defensive D in the league... if we get him for less than 4.5-5 then he's gibing us a deal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The coach deserves some credit - and I'm sure the team does too

Yup, he's got the centers and wingers that are optimal for his forechecking scheme but he's done a real good job with their defensive scheme. That to me is his biggest achievement with that group imo.

But I think this series shows the importance of high end centers. Rangers are too wing heavy and light on good c's and it shows.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Coaching is a tough gig -
No credit when you win
All the blame when you don't
Yeah, but a roster built like that and almost any experienced coach who isn’t a total micromanager can have success.

Move Maurice to the Sabres bench and those results will not be as favourable.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Coaching is a tough gig -
No credit when you win
All the blame when you don't

He definitely deserves credit. Not sure why people want to discredit him juat because he's our ex coach. He did well here as well. He's a good coach and he has a roster he has a good amount of affinity with. Their GM did a good job selecting him as his schemes fit perfectly with that group.

But let's also not kid ourselves there is a tonne of elite talent there as well. They have 3 top 2 picks and another couple of top 5 picks on that roster. We don't have a forward comparable to any of their top 3 and they have a multiple vezina winning goalie that their sports science department figured out a perfect load management strategy for.

I think there is some things this org can learn from Florida. Synergy from top down, a load management strategy for your high end goalie so that he's fresh for the playoffs.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah, but a roster built like that and almost any experienced coach who isn’t a total micromanager can have success.

Move Maurice to the Sabres bench and those results will not be as favourable.
Sometimes good teams have good coaches
But how could you tell if the assumption is anyone could coach them.
Sounds like that's what you're saying -

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He definitely deserves credit. Not sure why people want to discredit him juat because he's our ex coach. He did well here as well. He's a good coach and he has a roster he has a good amount of affinity with. Their GM did a good job selecting him as his schemes fit perfectly with that group.

But let's also not kid ourselves there is a tonne of elite talent there as well. They have 3 top 2 picks and another couple of top 5 picks on that roster. We don't have a forward comparable to any of their top 3 and they have a multiple vezina winning goalie that their sports science department figured out a perfect load management strategy for.

I think there is some things this org can learn from Florida. Synergy from top down, a load management strategy for your high end goalie so that he's fresh for the playoffs.
Nobodies disputing the talent on the team - the debate is over whether the coach has anything to do with their success.
It's pretty obvious the team is talented - but they still need to be coached. It's not as if teams with elite talent are always successful - asks the Leafs.
Maurice gets little respect around here mainly because he was called out as a bad coach by some of these same posters and they're sticking to that story regardless of his success - is comical.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nobodies disputing the talent on the team - the debate is over whether the coach has anything to do with their success.
It's pretty obvious the team is talented - but they still need to be coached. It's not as if teams with elite talent are always successful - asks the Leafs.
Maurice gets little respect around here mainly because he was called out as a bad coach by some of these same posters and they're sticking to that story regardless of his success - is comical.

Agreed. You need the right philosophy for the group of players you got. Not every coach has strengths that fit a certain team. For instance a coach who utizes a passive 1-2-2 would have less success with that group as that team is designed to aggressively forecheck.

Reactions: LowLefty

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The coach deserves some credit - and I'm sure the team does too
sure give him some credit... just don't have to act like maurice is the reason the panthers are this good they were very very good before he even took over... just every time the panthers win somebody posts about how success he is away from the team

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed. You need the right philosophy for the group of players you got. Not every coach has strengths that fit a certain team. For instance a coach who utizes a passive 1-2-2 would have less success with that group as that team is designed to aggressively forecheck.
Yes, I agree that there needs to be a good fit -
When you watch this team, it's not all skill - they work their buts off and coaching has something to do with that including setting up a system that takes advantage of that type of player (as per your example - aggressive systems).

Reactions: GNP

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Notice how the Panthers ALL finish their checks.
Maybe that's why Maurice quit ... he peached finish your checks but only a handful of players listened.
Maurice is a good coach but once a team starts declining that means the players have tuned out so its time to move on ... that applies to all coaches.
Like they say you can't fire the team so the coach is the first to go.

Reactions: GNP and sipowicz

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
sure give him some credit... just don't have to act like maurice is the reason the panthers are this good they were very very good before he even took over... just every time the panthers win somebody posts about how success he is away from the team
Well he is - and it's worth mentioning.
I don't think anyone is giving Mo all the credit - but he is getting some and that's fair.
For some, this is a reminder of the issues this team had in settling into a game plan that included hard work and systems that required aggressive play.
The coach got a lot of the blame back then - so why not give him a little credit without worrying about pissing off some anti-Maurice fan who would prefer we give him little or no credit.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He has these guys playing a really tight game - I mentioned earlier that the Panthers do not give you anything and you need to fight for every inch out there. I agree he's a good fit for this team - and I think he had something to do with molding this team into what fit his plan.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Well he is - and it's worth mentioning.
I don't think anyone is giving Mo all the credit - but he is getting some and that's fair.
For some, this is a reminder of the issues this team had in settling into a game plan that included hard work and systems that required aggressive play.
The coach got a lot of the blame back then - so why not give him a little credit without worrying about pissing off some anti-Maurice fan who would prefer we give him little or no credit.
coaches have a shelf life for a reason, you can have both a good coach and a good team but if you don't end up winning then the message gets lost and both start to look a lot worse then they actually are. which is exactly what happened here, maurice was just here for too long

you can give maurice credit, just don't do it with the "if only we had maurice coaching us" or comments saying it was 100% the jets and not maurice

I mean we improved defensively and made the playoffs the year following maurice and continued that with a 110 point season this year so it's not like we turned into a lottery team after he left us

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Notice how the Panthers ALL finish their checks.
Maybe that's why Maurice quit ... he peached finish your checks but only a handful of players listened.
Maurice is a good coach but once a team starts declining that means the players have tuned out so its time to move on ... that applies to all coaches.
Like they say you can't fire the team so the coach is the first to go.
Or he wanted to live the dream on a beach with no tax.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think people want to discredit Paul because it fits their narrative of Paul’s lack of talent as a coach in Winnipeg. In my opinion Paul was a good coach in Winnipeg that was left in place way too long.

I think his team in Florida is pretty talented but there are also guys like Brandon Montour who are playing like world beaters that really hadn’t done much before they arrived in Florida. Sam Bennett was a chronic under achiever in Calgary who is flourishing, Reinhart has certainly found another level. The team is playing well and Paul and his staff deserve as much credit as any other coaching staff that are behind the bench of winning teams with talent.

I am really happy for Paul, although it was time for him to go in Winnipeg I had all day for Paul the person (95% of the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad