Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Agreed, I think both him and the team would have looked better in most peoples eyes had they parted ways a couple years prior to it happening.

They were able to in the primes of their career but most are past that point now and we haven't added to the core. Only so much solid middle talent can do to prop up a declining core.

It's why I've been harping on our development lately. We haven't been able to develop core talent to help our declining core. Dallas is successful because they were able to do just that.
But Versa-Laine, Niku and Chaz were can’t miss picks…

wraithsonwings

Honour The Past
Sponsor
Mar 19, 2019
Winnipeg
Maurice gets little respect around here mainly because he was called out as a bad coach by some of these same posters and they're sticking to that story regardless of his success - is comical.
I think some of it is the fact that he quit on the team and walked out during the season.
He should've quit in the offseason like he wanted. It would've been much better for the team.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Any reason CBC chose not to show the game with a Canadian team not named the Leafs playing? WTF?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think people want to discredit Paul because it fits their narrative of Paul’s lack of talent as a coach in Winnipeg. In my opinion Paul was a good coach in Winnipeg that was left in place way too long.

I think his team in Florida is pretty talented but there are also guys like Brandon Montour who are playing like world beaters that really hadn’t done much before they arrived in Florida. Sam Bennett was a chronic under achiever in Calgary who is flourishing, Reinhart has certainly found another level. The team is playing well and Paul and his staff deserve as much credit as any other coaching staff that are behind the bench of winning teams with talent.

I am really happy for Paul, although it was time for him to go in Winnipeg I had all day for Paul the person (95% of the time).

Agreed, unfortunately this might show that some of our core just doesn't turn it up that extra little bit you need and have to do to have some success in the playoffs.
I have to agree with both these posts, and they pretty much sum up the Jets situation. A lot of posters thought Maurice was a bad Coach, or could not take the team to the next level, with deep playoff pushes. Personally I thought Maurice was a good solid Coach, but I did think he had trouble elevating the team to the higher levels needed. We're all finding out that either of these thoughts are dead wrong. If you look at the fact that he Coached the Canes to the Cup final, and also Coached Florida to a Stanley Cup final, and it's looking like he'll have them in another, if they knock out the Rangers, and it's looking good. I did like Maurice as a person, and thought he was a solid Coach, but I had my doubts if he could elevate a team to the higher levels, and he's proven me wrong and many others. With this said, his time had come here with the Jets and it was time for him to leave - the team pretty much tuned him out -- and the players took over. He's proven he's a very good Coach, even tho some posters were calling for his head all the time.

So, where do the talented Jets go from here ? they scored 110 points in the NHL, and I believe they were one of the top 4 teams in all of the NHL.. We now know it wasn't the Coach, it is the "core players."

Look at what Maurice has gotten out of players like Bennett, and also Reinhart, that are performing great in the playoffs. These are the kind of players you need in the playoffs, and add guys like Tkachuk, and guys like Benn for the Stars.

The jets are going to have to change up their roster in my opinion, and get tougher and more grittier, if they expect to make a deep push in the playoffs. This will mean trading off some light talented guys like Connor or Ehlers ( keep one) and acquiring someone bigger, that plays a more physical type playoff style game. Theses types of players are out there, and it's now up to Chevy to get this types of players, and allow the Jets to make deep playoff runs.

If Chevy does nothing and maintains the same status quo, we can expect much of the same, in the seasons to come.

Also Helle has to play like a Vezina Goalie in the playoffs and he hasn't, as he's really been terrible in the playoffs.

Also along with this, get rid of Pionk ( too small) and Schmidt, as he's far too expensive for the talent he brings. Go with our young defenseman like Edmonton has done with Bouchard and Holloway.

If the Jets management are mindfull of all these things and make the right adjustments, we are a very good hockey club, that could make deep playoff pushes, and maybe a Stanley Cup final appearance.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I think some of it is the fact that he quit on the team and walked out during the season.
He should've quit in the offseason like he wanted. It would've been much better for the team.
That begs the question why didn’t he leave when he wanted.
There’s one explanation that fits.
Regardless I hope Maurice wins it all.
There is a guy who deserves it.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not watching much of the games because once the Jets are out i don't really care anymore but i have to give the Oilers credit , they were dead and buried by November this season and they fired their coach and are now 1 win away from the Cup final........ But i still f***ing despise that team.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm not watching much of the games because once the Jets are out i don't really care anymore but i have to give the Oilers credit , they were dead and buried by November this season and they fired their coach and are now 1 win away from the Cup final........ But i still f***ing despise that team.
Yes that team has been extraordinarily resilient.
Hats off to them.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
They've shown the importance of elite special teams. Just watching the final 4 teams move the puck on the PP, the commentator often can't keep up.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oilers have looked really good in the last two games. Vancouver had them at 3-2 and the Oilers found a way. I wonder if Dallas can dig deep here.

Reactions: GNP

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Oilers have looked really good in the last two games. Vancouver had them at 3-2 and the Oilers found a way. I wonder if Dallas can dig deep here.

A Florida/ Edmonton SC will draw peanuts in the States, too bad it has the potential to being a great series.
You can officially put me on suicide watch if the Oilers win the SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad