Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That team sure reminds me of our 2018 team. Man on man, wear their opponents down...but unlike our 2018 team they didn't get into any penalty trouble, and their forwards play heavy game in, game out.

Mo has them playing a lot like we did then. Down to the finer details even. A lot of dump and chase and flipping pucks out to alleviate pressure. Collapsing into the slot to prevent. Starts to make you wonder if it wasn't the coach but the players who weren't executing.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm now convinced that fans and pundits have absolutely no clue about how to assess NHL coaching. The Panthers look like the best-coached team, and it's not even close.
Coaching is the easy scapegoat - and also the best time for fans to throw their 2 cents in on schemes, player utilization, and systems that the coach never thought of.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
IMG_2191.jpeg

I think?
McDavid

Will break it if they make it to the finals

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hats off to Edmonton they are playing great defensive hockey at this snap shot in time. I haven’t watched many of their games but they are a different looking team under their new coach.

Let’s see if Dallas can rally. I think most of HFBoards have written them off after the last 5 periods.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
IIRC, Joe Piscucci was a very big Anti-Maruice detractor. I would be curious to know if his opinion on him has changed now. My take:: People are guilty at perceiving what constitutes a "good coach" or a "bad coach " in a black and white fashion. Sometimes the relationship between players and coach are simular to patients and doctors. You can have a great doctor but still be a bad fit with a patient. With Maurice, the buttons he pushes has a higher ceiling depending on the mix of players he has been given.

Baseline, I do think he's a more than capable coach. And I don't think the Panthers fans and players care rihht now that he is one of the most losingest coaches in NHL history.

Last edited:
Reactions: wraithsonwings

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A very large contingent of HFB Jets and WPG social media were certain that Maurice was a bad coach. I thought a lot of his decisions about player usage (especially on D) were poor. Obviously, it's not as simple as we often seem to think in terms of coaching assessment. Often it just seems to be about a good match between coaching style and roster, and whether a team is bought in to a coach's approach.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The one thing that Maurice has in Florida that he did not have in Winnipeg ... is the calls and I mean a lot in the last 2 years go his way. That's makes a big difference in one goal games.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
A very large contingent of HFB Jets and WPG social media were certain that Maurice was a bad coach. I thought a lot of his decisions about player usage (especially on D) were poor. Obviously, it's not as simple as we often seem to think in terms of coaching assessment. Often it just seems to be about a good match between coaching style and roster, and whether a team is bought in to a coach's approach.
Big difference when your 1C will play your system ;)

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Nice to see the Rangers fall.

Maurice, IMO, was a strong communicator and a poor tactician who was just left in place here too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad