Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think people want to discredit Paul because it fits their narrative of Paul’s lack of talent as a coach in Winnipeg. In my opinion Paul was a good coach in Winnipeg that was left in place way too long.

I think his team in Florida is pretty talented but there are also guys like Brandon Montour who are playing like world beaters that really hadn’t done much before they arrived in Florida. Sam Bennett was a chronic under achiever in Calgary who is flourishing, Reinhart has certainly found another level. The team is playing well and Paul and his staff deserve as much credit as any other coaching staff that are behind the bench of winning teams with talent.

I am really happy for Paul, although it was time for him to go in Winnipeg I had all day for Paul the person (95% of the time).
Agreed, unfortunately this might show that some of our core just doesn't turn it up that extra little bit you need and have to do to have some success in the playoffs.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agreed, unfortunately this might show that some of our core just doesn't turn it up that extra little bit you need and have to do to have some success in the playoffs.

Our organization, and this core, collectively are not emotionally built for NHL playoff hockey. We always lose 4 strait to end the season. I am at peace with this now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think people want to discredit Paul because it fits their narrative of Paul’s lack of talent as a coach in Winnipeg. In my opinion Paul was a good coach in Winnipeg that was left in place way too long.

I think his team in Florida is pretty talented but there are also guys like Brandon Montour who are playing like world beaters that really hadn’t done much before they arrived in Florida. Sam Bennett was a chronic under achiever in Calgary who is flourishing, Reinhart has certainly found another level. The team is playing well and Paul and his staff deserve as much credit as any other coaching staff that are behind the bench of winning teams with talent.

I am really happy for Paul, although it was time for him to go in Winnipeg I had all day for Paul the person (95% of the time).

Agreed, I think both him and the team would have looked better in most peoples eyes had they parted ways a couple years prior to it happening.

They were able to in the primes of their career but most are past that point now and we haven't added to the core. Only so much solid middle talent can do to prop up a declining core.

It's why I've been harping on our development lately. We haven't been able to develop core talent to help our declining core. Dallas is successful because they were able to do just that.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Agreed, I think both him and the team would have looked better in most peoples eyes had they parted ways a couple years prior to it happening.

They were able to in the primes of their career but most are past that point now and we haven't added to the core. Only so much solid middle talent can do to prop up a declining core.

It's why I've been harping on our development lately. We haven't been able to develop core talent to help our declining core. Dallas is successful because they were able to do just that.
Which is the coaching and how pieces are used!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah, you give Maurice a President's Trophy winning lineup with 4 ppg forwards, including 2 all-star centers, plus a Vezina caliber goalie, a solid defense (and also don't give him 5 Nate Thompsons or Matt Hendricks as his best bottom-6 options), and he can somehow mold that into a good team! :sarcasm:

It is kind of funny how that all worked out in Florida - Quenneville resigns in October, then Maurice resigns in December, then despite winning the President's Trophy under Brunette, they let him go and hire Maurice...

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Yeah, you give Maurice a President's Trophy winning lineup with 4 ppg forwards, including 2 all-star centers, plus a Vezina caliber goalie, a solid defense (and also don't give him 5 Nate Thompsons or Matt Hendricks as his best bottom-6 options), and he can somehow mold that into a good team! :sarcasm:

It is kind of funny how that all worked out in Florida - Quenneville resigns in October, then Maurice resigns in December, then despite winning the President's Trophy under Brunette, they let him go and hire Maurice...
I'd say mo had the job offer before he resigned...

And the florida fourth line and 3rd pairing are about as mo as nate Thompson as you can get...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A coach is only as good as his goaltending!

Ask Bones about coaching in the PO’s with the Jets the past two seasons with a .870 dud!

A goaltender can make or break a team in the playoffs but there are years a goalie only has to be average and his team can win the cup. Jonathan Quick was a very big piece of LA's first cup sporting an amazing .946 save % over the playoffs in 2011-12. However when the Kings repeated two years later Quick posted a modest .911 save %.

Helly wasn't good enough this year in the playoffs and he is by far our best player so we are not going anywhere if he doesn't lead the way. However, I was at game one and IMO he gave up one bad goal but he never had a chance on the other 4 or 5. The team was a mess these playoffs and although the weight falls on the core I refuse to let the others off the hook. This "team always" folds which is a team, organizational flaw.

They all need to be way WAY better.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good luck to the Stars tonight. I have a bunch of friends who headed down for the game and were out on the town last night.

Not sure I would throw Bichsel into the fire tonight but they would know better than me.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland

I'm thrilled for him. The Swiss national coach said that Bichsel won't play for Switzerland until 2027 at the earliest because he had declined to play for the Swiss U20 team.

I mean who can blame Bichsel? He wanted to focus on his Swedish team, which reached the finals. I'd rather do that than get my ass kicked 14-0 by Canada. Now he gets the chance to play in the WCF.

Ridiculous decision by Fischer. As if Switzerland had 10 NHL
defensemen.

Reactions: MardyBum

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Good luck to the Stars tonight. I have a bunch of friends who headed down for the game and were out on the town last night.

Not sure I would throw Bichsel into the fire tonight but they would know better than me.

They have some balls over there. Same draft as Salo, played against him in the SHL finals.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
They have some balls over there. Same draft as Salo, played against him in the SHL finals.

I really liked the Bichsel pick the night of the draft. I haven’t been following him since. I wonder how he’s doing?

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A goaltender can make or break a team in the playoffs but there are years a goalie only has to be average and his team can win the cup. Jonathan Quick was a very big piece of LA's first cup sporting an amazing .946 save % over the playoffs in 2011-12. However when the Kings repeated two years later Quick posted a modest .911 save %.

Helly wasn't good enough this year in the playoffs and he is by far our best player so we are not going anywhere if he doesn't lead the way. However, I was at game one and IMO he gave up one bad goal but he never had a chance on the other 4 or 5. The team was a mess these playoffs and although the weight falls on the core I refuse to let the others off the hook. This "team always" folds which is a team, organizational flaw.

They all need to be way WAY better.
This season was extra frustrating for me anyway, I'm sorry its not easy to finish 4th overall in the entire NHL and to play as awful as they all did in the playoffs was just a joke. I'm a pretty positive dude when it comes to the Jets but this season and absolute choke in the playoffs by the entire team just doesn't sit well with me. If we would have battled just to get in the playoffs maybe it would be easier to deal with but this was a 4th overall team in the entire NHL that went out with a whimper.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This season was extra frustrating for me anyway, I'm sorry its not easy to finish 4th overall in the entire NHL and to play as awful as they all did in the playoffs was just a joke. I'm a pretty positive dude when it comes to the Jets but this season and absolute choke in the playoffs by the entire team just doesn't sit well with me. If we would have battled just to get in the playoffs maybe it would be easier to deal with but this was a 4th overall team in the entire NHL that went out with a whimper.

I feel similar about this version of groundhog day. We got rid of PLD and Wheels, had a very positive drama free season, finished 4th overall, blew off a draft class to go for it, then lost four in a row as usual to go down with a whimper.

This core is incapable of competing with the top teams in the west once the playoffs start.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

bill zito's 2020-2022 was just stupid good.

signing/acquiring: forsling, bennett, montour, verhaeghe, reinhart, tkachuk etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad