Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
that buffalo goaltending is just CRAP

LEVI and UPL... people wanted to trade HElle for these guys or thought one of these guys should be included, Good thing some folks dont run the team, BUFFALO AND NJ and Carolina all proving why goaltending matters.
Levi was the reason Buffalo should have overpaid for helle - guy needs a mentor

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

LEVI and UPL... people wanted to trade HElle for these guys or thought one of these guys should be included, Good thing some folks dont run the team, BUFFALO AND NJ and Carolina all proving why goaltending matters.

I think their inclusion in any deals was more coming from the angle that the Jets would be rebuilding.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thought about putting this in the Humor Thread :D

This is the 1990 draft of the Edmonton Oilers. Saw this in The Hockey Writers email I get every day, from a couple of days ago now maybe.

Not one single draft pick played even a minute of NHL hockey and most barely had a minor league career. Has there ever been any other draft since the draft was started? I recognize the name Scott Allison and I seem to remember stumbling across the name Richard Zemlicka time or two but the rest are a complete mystery to me. Unbelievably bad.

The Oilers had just won the Cup so picking at 17 seems pretty good but they wiffed on every single pick.

Scott Allison 1/17 C Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
Alexandre Legault 2/38 RW Boston University (Hockey East)
Joe Crowley 3/59 LW Lawrence Academy (U.S. high school)
Joel Blain 4/67 LW Hull Olympiques (QMJHL)
Greg Louder 5/101 G Cushing Academy (U.S. high school)
Keijo Sailynoja 6/122 LW Jokerit (Finland)
Mike Power 7/143 G Western Michigan (CCHA)
Roman Mejzlik 8/164 LW/C Dukla Jihlava (Czechoslovakia)
Richard Zemlicka 9/185 LW/RW Sparta Praha (Czechoslovakia)
Petr Korinek 10/206 C Skoda Plzen (Czechoslovakia)
Sami Nuutinen 12/248 DK-Espoo (Finland)
To be fair, the resources put into amateur scouting and drafting back then was NOT like it is today. Today it's like a science, back then drafting was way more of a crap shoot and I don't think it really got modern until the mid-90s after the Alexander Daigle fiasco. The Jets had many draft misses also in the 80s and 90s (here's one: Andrew McBain over Cam Neely in the '84 draft). However to have absolutely every pick in a one draft year not play in the NHL at all is incredibly bad, even for back then.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg

But but but, Sabres fans all told me Levi was the next Hasek......What happened?!?!?!?

Reactions: kanadalainen

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Too funny SN headline this morning. A deflection is a fluky goal when it happens to the Leafs but when the Leafs score on a deflection its a great goal.

Maple Leafs fall victim to ‘fluky bounces’ and solid Shesterkin​

Mika Zibanejad opened the scoring in the second period when an errant Blake Wheeler pass that clicked off his skate as he was flying by the net and squeaked into Martin Jones' cage.

Alexis Lafreniere ripped a decent but stoppable power-play shot from range that changed direction off Rielly's arm and foiled Jones.

And, later, Artemi Panarin scored on another power-play with a puck that ricocheted off two Maple Leafs defenders, Timothy Liljegren and William Lagesson, before finding its home.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Too funny SN headline this morning. A deflection is a fluky goal when it happens to the Leafs but when the Leafs score on a deflection its a great goal.

Maple Leafs fall victim to ‘fluky bounces’ and solid Shesterkin​

Mika Zibanejad opened the scoring in the second period when an errant Blake Wheeler pass that clicked off his skate as he was flying by the net and squeaked into Martin Jones' cage.

Alexis Lafreniere ripped a decent but stoppable power-play shot from range that changed direction off Rielly's arm and foiled Jones.

And, later, Artemi Panarin scored on another power-play with a puck that ricocheted off two Maple Leafs defenders, Timothy Liljegren and William Lagesson, before finding its home.

They're quoting Matthews with the "fluky bounces" thing, that's why it's in quotes.

"Three goals, three kind of fluky bounces," Auston Matthews shrugged, following the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-2 loss at home to the New York Rangers.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Drafted 2nd over-all. So close to earning $100 million. Six million dollars is just not the same thing.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
To be fair, the resources put into amateur scouting and drafting back then was NOT like it is today. Today it's like a science, back then drafting was way more of a crap shoot and I don't think it really got modern until the mid-90s after the Alexander Daigle fiasco. The Jets had many draft misses also in the 80s and 90s (here's one: Andrew McBain over Cam Neely in the '84 draft). However to have absolutely every pick in a one draft year not play in the NHL at all is incredibly bad, even for back then.
A red flag in so many ways firing 6 scouts . (4days before the draft). Edmonton traded their 16th pick (barzal) for a shitty defense men. Connor was picked at 17. After the below beauty of a quote:

We have to get better drafting and developing players," Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli told reportersMonday.

I feel this part of oilers history isn’t discussed enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: GJF

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Probably an injury that takes a few years to heal and then he can play again. He's still young.
Aside from the migraine issue he was always getting injured with other ailments. Sucks, he showed alot of promise.

To show you how Vegas thinks they chose not to have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup after they won. F*** Vegas.

Kraken 2 PLD a big fat zero in the 3rd.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Seattle beats LA 2-1. Kings had a PP in the last couple minutes and went 6-4 with the goalie out. PLD never got off the bench. I'm not sure he got a shift in the last 10 minutes at least. Never saw him or heard his name. Glad you're gone you POS.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
PLD thread in LA

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
PLD thread in LA

I feel like when I feel at my lowest, I’ll pop back into that thread to cheer me up.

I remember landing Vilardi off free agency in my pool last year, and he was insane to start the year. That’s why I was excited to get him in the Jets, and hopefully he stays healthy and continues to grow!

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Aside from the migraine issue he was always getting injured with other ailments. Sucks, he showed alot of promise.

To show you how Vegas thinks they chose not to have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup after they won. F*** Vegas.

Kraken 2 PLD a big fat zero in the 3rd.
Is not up to the team. There are qualifiers to have your name on the cup, he didn't meet them.

What is up to the team is who gets a ring - and they gave him one.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
PLD thread in LA

1 point in his last 10 games, and only 1 goal in his last 17 games. Yikes. Need a lot more for 8.5 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad