Around the NHL 11 - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I was very worried about losing PLD. I was wrong. Chevy got a great return for PLD and, combined with the Wheeler buyout, all of the locker room issues are gone. Sure looks like PLD and Wheeler were the two remaining shit logs in the toilet that needed to get flushed to get the stink out of the room. The group seems right, now.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
PLD thread in LA

Interesting. He's not even half a year into an 8 year contract. I can't see it staying that way forever, he will wake up.

He can be such a dominating player when he's on. It is a true head scratcher as to why he disappears for so long, so often. But this is team #3 where there are question marks. Question marks like these shouldn't be happening with $8.5 million dollar players though.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
To show you how Vegas thinks they chose not to have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup after they won. F*** Vegas.
I hate Vegas, but this has nothing to do with them. There are strict requirements for players including games played in the playoffs for their names to be engraved on the cup. He didn't play a single game last season so he didn't qualify.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
What with all the hate for PLD?
I appreciate PLD while he was on the Jets
He gave us 60+ points season twice
Brought physicality and did his job as top center when Schief got lazy
Was honest with management about not wanting here long term and we Hype up his value so we could get some good players off LA Kings in a trade
Once his 8.5 M contract was announced, I think it made it easier to sign Helle/Schief to same contracts as the gold standard to negotiate with their agents

Last edited:

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I hate Vegas, but this has nothing to do with them. There are strict requirements for players including games played in the playoffs for their names to be engraved on the cup. He didn't play a single game last season so he didn't qualify.
Teams can apply for an exception to that rule but they chose not to. Had it been a star player instead of lowly Nolan patrick they almost certainly would have. Just saying.

As an example Had the 2019-20 Jets somehow won the Stanley Cup that season I'm betting that the Jets and True North do everything in their power to ensure Bryan Little's named is etched on the Cup.

Even the next season when he was on LTIR for the entire season.

Is not up to the team. There are qualifiers to have your name on the cup, he didn't meet them.

What is up to the team is who gets a ring - and they gave him one.
So put his name on the Cup. I responded to the same post to someone else saying that the team can apply for an exception to the rule. Had it been a star player you can bet they would have.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Interesting. He's not even half a year into an 8 year contract. I can't see it staying that way forever, he will wake up.

He can be such a dominating player when he's on. It is a true head scratcher as to why he disappears for so long, so often. But this is team #3 where there are question marks. Question marks like these shouldn't be happening with $8.5 million dollar players though.
PLD is the DeShaun Watson of the NHL. Got his money and now doesn't give a shit.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
What with all the hate for PLD?
I appreciate PLD while he was on the Jets
He gave us 60+ points season twice
Brought physicality and did his job as top center when Schief got lazy
Was honest with management about not wanting here long term and we Hype up his value so we could get some good players off LA Kings in a trade
Once his 8.5 M contract was announced, I think it made it easier to sign Helle/Schief to same contracts as a gold standard to negotiate with their agents
I don't hate PL Hollywood. I loathe and despise him.:D

He brought what he brought when he felt like bringing it, other times he was invisible. Someone who quite clearly did not want to be here. Lollygagged his way out of Columbus, then here and for the most part has been a disinterested bystander in what I've seen of him with the Kings. He's on organization number 3 and he's only 25.

The trade Chevy engineered is arguably the best trade in franchise history and may yet become, if it already isn't one of the greatest trades in NHL history. The Gretzky trade(ironically to Los Angeles certainly the biggest blockbuster trade in NHL history and there have been others. Espo to the Bruins and the big M to Montreal but if Vilardi keeps playing the way he has been since coming back from injury(which is exactly what we wanted and needed from him) and the complimentary pieces of Iafallo and Kupari and the pick(if we keep it and the player drafted makes an impact) this trade will rank very highly in the annals of NHL trades.

Thanks PLD for the games where you played like someone who wants to be an NHL star but the organization is better off without you. I as a fan want players who want to be here and who leave it all on the ice on a nightly basis. You were not that and have not been that at each of the stops(so far) in your NHL career.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
PL Dubois

Love him or hate him, here is the thing... he's very streaky and will emerge from his current slump. His career will be marked by gyrations of hot and cold swings. I think some folks get too high celebrating his current slump.

Yeah... I am not a PL fan but even I don't think that he is worse than a 55-60 point player who at minimum provides solid 2C impact with extreme hot and cold stretches. His linemates have been bad and he hasn't been on the top PP for a while, fix those 2 things and I am sure he'll be back to his usual production pace. One thing I have noticed watching him this season, he's taking a lot fewer dumb penalties that he used to take here.

PL has had stretches like this with the Jets but it's unfortunate for LA fans that they never saw the "monster PLD" that were saw here before he pulled his disappearing act. That's probably what's causing most of the consternation in that fanbase at this point. If he had a 10 game "monster PLD" run before he disappeared I am sure they'd be less freakout about him in that fanbase.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Not that I am advocating we trade him but I wonder what LB would fetch in a trade. With so many teams desperate for good goaltending, I am wondering if LB fetches a 1st considering his good numbers so far, his size and Stanley Cup pedigree.

Reactions: GJF

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Not that I am advocating we trade him but I wonder what LB would fetch in a trade. With so many teams desperate for good goaltending, I am wondering if LB fetches a 1st considering his good numbers so far, his size and Stanley Cup pedigree.
Yup thanks to Vegas winning the cup with just an average goalie some teams thought they could do the same thing and did not want to pay for an upgrade in the net. Now those teams will over pay at the TDL.
Lol just as I wrote this Oilers score 3 goals on 4 shots to take the lead in the 3rd period on the Devils who were too cheap to upgrade.

Last edited:

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Canucks couldn’t put it away in OT on a two on nothing breakaway
Stars win with only few seconds left
Arggg

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah... I am not a PL fan but even I don't think that he is worse than a 55-60 point player who at minimum provides solid 2C impact with extreme hot and cold stretches. His linemates have been bad and he hasn't been on the top PP for a while, fix those 2 things and I am sure he'll be back to his usual production pace. One thing I have noticed watching him this season, he's taking a lot fewer dumb penalties that he used to take here.

PL has had stretches like this with the Jets but it's unfortunate for LA fans that they never saw the "monster PLD" that were saw here before he pulled his disappearing act. That's probably what's causing most of the consternation in that fanbase at this point. If he had a 10 game "monster PLD" run before he disappeared I am sure they'd be less freakout about him in that fanbase.
The biggest problem PLD will have moving toward IMO is he’s not a very smart player. If he’s not motivated and playing his hard-nosed, speed-based physical game, he’s a liability out there.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Yup thanks to Vegas winning the cup with just an average goalie some teams thought they could do the same thing and did not want to pay for an upgrade in the net. Now those teams will over pay at the TDL.
Lol just as I wrote this Oilers score 3 goals on 4 shots to take the lead in the 3rd period on the Devils who were too cheap to upgrade.

Yeah it's monkey see monkey do in the NHL. They thought the Vegas goalies were random guys and they could replicate that. Now it turns out Aiden Hill is an actual good goalie who will probably be team Canada's starter in the upcoming "World Cup". As much as I hate Vegas, if they had shit goaltending and a goalie like Helle/Saros became available they would have sold the farm to acquire them and figured everything out later.

Reactions: macmaroon and hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad