Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
As long as goaltending holds up Maurice has a good enough roster upfront. He'll do just fine in Florida imo as he's an average NHL coach that tends to be able to inspire teams to good results his first few seasons before his lack of tactical accume starts to become problematic.
Agreed. FLA last year was like the 2nd best team of the past 10 years in points. There likely would be a drop off no matter who the coach was. Teams don't repeat 120 pt years often (at all?).

A 10 win drop still has them at 100 pts. And they still have a good roster despite turnover

Their bottom 6 based on last year's numbers had decent scoring or scoring rates. So it's not like their icing the bottom-6s that Chevy often has here

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
As long as goaltending holds up Maurice has a good enough roster upfront. He'll do just fine in Florida imo as he's an average NHL coach that tends to be able to inspire teams to good results his first few seasons before his lack of tactical accume starts to become problematic.
Agree, although I think he'll have this season as his high water mark with a rapid drop off to follow.
He made a comment ( on Panthers ) board that the guys have in Fla fun...is there a shot in his comments?

Jameson Olive

@JamesonCoop
·
Follow
Maurice on his first game behind FLA's bench: "They're serious and they're intense and they're working, but they're also pretty funny. There's some funny guys. Hornqvist is a funny man. I enjoy that part. You can joke around."
10:07 PM · Oct 13, 2022

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
So that's the key to scoring goals. Get rid of those motion restricting elbow pads.

I bought one for my daughter and she absolutely hates them and refuses to wear it so she went back to old pair. I am trying to find like regular elbow pads in this city now lol

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Of course the Buff shipped sailed. I will miss Buff 20 years from now just like I do other players that were my favorites over the years because they are one of a kind talents. I don‘t think I need to get over it for TNSE to try to add a true #1 talent since I am still just a fan and don’t think my fandome is blocking the process :laugh:. When I say Buff is what we are missing I mean it as in a true impact #1 not a Trouba type who is a #2/3.

Buff left a gaping hole we haven’t replaced nor have we gotten any closer to adding a #1. I 100% understand both players are long gone and will never be back.

Yeah, my comment was not directed at fandom. Players like Buff should be long remembered. I miss Buff too.

But we do need to stop framing the current team in terms of past players. We could really use a 29 YO Ladd right now too, not to mention peak Hawerchuk and a bunch of others.

23 minutes for tkachuk.

2 Lowest player 7 minutes each.

They're getting there, but its a process. These players need to unlearn a lot of habits.

Reactions: macmaroon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Goes to show that tanking is not always the best plan… cough yakupov cough

Yak is 29 YO now, wow, time flies. He is a decent, but not great player in the KHL.

In fairness to Edm, he was the consensus 1OA that year (not unanimous, just consensus). But how much better might they be now if they had picked any one of Rielly, Lindholm, Dumba or Trouba? OK, Trouba would have walked out on them, but they would have gotten a return better than Yak.

That was not a great draft class. Not a great year to tank, or win the lottery. Look at the top 4 picks. :huh:

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Agree, although I think he'll have this season as his high water mark with a rapid drop off to follow.
He made a comment ( on Panthers ) board that the guys have in Fla fun...is there a shot in his comments?

Jameson Olive
@JamesonCoop
·
Follow
Maurice on his first game behind FLA's bench: "They're serious and they're intense and they're working, but they're also pretty funny. There's some funny guys. Hornqvist is a funny man. I enjoy that part. You can joke around."

We have a funny guy too, mo ........ :sarcasm:

winnipeg-jets-blake-wheeler.gif

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They are a damn good team. Made some really great draft picks and signing Panarin was huge. They have a really strong team top to bottom and yeah like you said a Vezina goalie. I'd easily take them over the Leafs right now and I honestly don't think it's that close. Them and Carolina are probably the two most well rounded teams not named the Avalanche or Lightning in the league right now.

Neither the Avs nor TBL are what they were last year.
Avs have to miss career year Kadri and Kuemper.
TBL are aging.
Both are strong in their D corps. Both have a lot of holes up front but with some really good players at the top.
Not saying they aren't contenders but not sure they are any better than Rags & Canes.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Neither the Avs nor TBL are what they were last year.
Avs have to miss career year Kadri and Kuemper.
TBL are aging.
Both are strong in their D corps. Both have a lot of holes up front but with some really good players at the top.
Not saying they aren't contenders but not sure they are any better than Rags & Canes.
Stanley cup winners should be given a cap bump of a couple million dollars for 2 or 3 years after winning it. Dynasty teams are good for the sport.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Stanley cup winners should be given a cap bump of a couple million dollars for 2 or 3 years after winning it. Dynasty teams are good for the sport.
no way. they get extra revenue for PO games which i assume leads more opportunity for large SB for players. that's a big perk

i do think teams should be rewarded a bit better w/ signing their own drafted players. idk exactly what it looks like maybe their cap-hit is 90% of their AAV or something for a certain amount of their players (ie: if they hit x% of the cap-ceiling, they can get y own drafted players they can have at a cap-hit discount so more capspace to operate that year).

that would lead to more of a flexible cap. but really no idea lol.i think there should be a bit of an incentive for those teams that are able to draft well. the 8 years for your own player i dont think is that great of an incentive (i hate 8 year contracts for the most part)

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The more 'elite' a player is at 20, the longer he is likely to stay 'elite'.

True but his drop off hasn't been as severe as most every other player and he's played an awful lot of hockey since he entered the league with a couple big injuries thrown in. He juat keeps reinventing his game around what he can do physically and what he can't.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Cap bump doesn't stop aging.
An occasional dynasty team is good, but so is spreading the rewards around.
A stacked team does a good job managing the cap, they get to be a dynasty team. Not so good and they get 1 Cup. Someone else gets a turn with it next year.

no way. they get extra revenue for PO games which i assume leads more opportunity for large SB for players. that's a big perk

i do think teams should be rewarded a bit better w/ signing their own drafted players. idk exactly what it looks like maybe their cap-hit is 90% of their AAV or something for a certain amount of their players (ie: if they hit x% of the cap-ceiling, they can get y own drafted players they can have at a cap-hit discount so more capspace to operate that year).

that would lead to more of a flexible cap. but really no idea lol.i think there should be a bit of an incentive for those teams that are able to draft well. the 8 years for your own player i dont think is that great of an incentive (i hate 8 year contracts for the most part)

Maybe stay with the 8 years for signing your own players, but reduce the max term for UFA players to 6, or 5. Gives teams something of an advantage to sign their own. Players still have the right to leave if they want.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A stacked team does a good job managing the cap, they get to be a dynasty team. Not so good and they get 1 Cup. Someone else gets a turn with it next year.

Maybe stay with the 8 years for signing your own players, but reduce the max term for UFA players to 6, or 5. Gives teams something of an advantage to sign their own. Players still have the right to leave if they want.

Exactly, it's not as if we haven't seen mini dynasties since the cap came in anyhow.

Pittsburgh and Chicago 3 cups each
LA and Tampa 2 cups each

So 10 of the 17 cups since the lock-out were won by teams that won multiple cups I that span. There were 7 single winners in 17 years. So if your an elite team you have the chance to win more then one cup.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Oh forgot that Maurice was still an NHL coach

Been around

Jul 16, 2022

Never even thought about limiting Ufa contract years...thats a fantastic idea...possibly the best way to minimalize advantages other markets have over your players that you drafted and developed...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Jameson Olive
@JamesonCoop
·
Follow
The only joke with the Jets when Maurice was around here was his coaching and his systems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad