Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I've always had a begrudging respect for the play of Ovechkin. Wow, tonight I saw a different player. Still a player, but looks pretty Gordie Howe like ............ when Gordie was 50. He has lost a gear.

Reactions: LowLefty

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I've always had a begrudging respect for the play of Ovechkin. Wow, tonight I saw a different player. Still a player, but looks pretty Gordie Howe like ............ when Gordie was 50. He has lost a gear.
Didn’t Howe grow bigger elbows as he got older/slower though?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Made up a tier list after seeing the boys on TSN make one. I think this a pretty accurate representation of where most teams are right now.

list.png

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Made up a tier list after seeing the boys on TSN make one. I think this a pretty accurate representation of where most teams are right now.

list.png
Buffalo might surprise. They’ll slowly coming along. I’d have them in the fun but out category, and drop Detroit and Montreal down a tier or two.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Buffalo might surprise. They’ll slowly coming along. I’d have them in the fun but out category, and drop Detroit and Montreal down a tier or two.

I think Buffalo still has a long way to go before they are fun. Some interesting young players for sure but hard to be in the fun but out category when you can't seem to keep anyone there. I find Detroit will be a lot more fun to watch and Montreal at least has some interesting young pieces that will be worth tuning in to see.

We've been saying this about Buffalo for how long now? Their slowly coming, their almost there.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think Buffalo still has a long way to go before they are fun. Some interesting young players for sure but hard to be in the fun but out category when you can't seem to keep anyone there. I find Detroit will be a lot more fun to watch and Montreal at least has some interesting young pieces that will be worth tuning in to see.

We've been saying this about Buffalo for how long now? Their slowly coming, their almost there.
I know Buffalo has been rebuilding forever, I just love a lot of their young pieces like Dahlin, Power, Krebs, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Thompson … I don’t think they’re gonna be great this year, but I think they’ll be improved. A playoff berth is still a couple of pieces and some more experience away though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Edmonton appears to be all power play and nothing else

Man, where would they be if they hadn’t lucked into McDavid. In the Bedard sweepstakes?

It’s embarrassing they haven’t been able to built a decent team around him in all these years.
Goes to show that tanking is not always the best plan… cough yakupov cough

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
23 minutes for tkachuk.

2 Lowest player 7 minutes each.

10 mins of pp, and ~15 mins of overall special teams time. i think that impacted TOI a lot.

i never understood the infatuation w/ wanting to have our 4th line for high minutes especially when down in games when Maurice was here.

like in close games folks would post summary of the TOI with 4th liners getting ~5-7 mins...... do you want the likes of Toninato, Harkins, Ves, etc out trying to score goals to come back in? or scheifele, connor, ehlers etc. :dunno:

Last edited:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
10 mins of pp, and ~15 mins of overall special teams time. i think that impacted TOI a lot.

i never understood the infatuation w/ wanting to have our 4th line for high minutes especially when down in games when Maurice was here.

like in close games folks would post summary of the TOI with 4th liners getting ~5-7 mins...... do you want the likes of Toninato, Harkins, Ves, etc out trying to score goals to come back in? or scheifele, connor, ehlers etc. :dunno:
It's a proven fact when the human body is tired mistakes are made.
Finally the season starts tonight and people will see Maurice was the problem.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Watched both Rangers games and folks they are a really good team with a Vezina like goalie. Stay healthy and they definitely a contender for the Cup this year

They are a damn good team. Made some really great draft picks and signing Panarin was huge. They have a really strong team top to bottom and yeah like you said a Vezina goalie. I'd easily take them over the Leafs right now and I honestly don't think it's that close. Them and Carolina are probably the two most well rounded teams not named the Avalanche or Lightning in the league right now.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Nobody wants those scrubs out when losing but when not losing if they got a few more minutes a game and the top guys got a few minutes less, the top guys wouldn't get gassed out around game 40 or 50

Reactions: Eyeseeing

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They are a damn good team. Made some really great draft picks and signing Panarin was huge. They have a really strong team top to bottom and yeah like you said a Vezina goalie. I'd easily take them over the Leafs right now and I honestly don't think it's that close. Them and Carolina are probably the two most well rounded teams not named the Avalanche or Lightning in the league right now.
Lady luck went their way with the Kakko and Laf picks too. Imagine if they can get those guys to develop worth a damn :eek3:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I wouldn't say they made a number of really grate ones. They have really only made one great one so far in Igor. They have botched a number of top 10 picks recently. They are fortunate that they have a location where players have forced their way in. Trouba and Fox refusing to go anywhere else was a game changer on their back end. Add in Panarin wanting to sign there and likely nowhere else and we'll you got 3 of your most important players externally, four if you count the trade for Z.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's a proven fact when the human body is tired mistakes are made.
Finally the season starts tonight and people will see Maurice was the problem.
Oh I dont disagree Maurice was a problem (lol look who you're talking to). i just dont think it's simple as looking at the end of TOI stats of this game and be like oh he didn't play the bottom 6 for FLA.

10 mins of pp time = 0 TOI for White, Cousins, Lomberg, Luostarinen, Balcers. would you put those players out when you had superior options of Barkov, Verhaeghe, Tkahuck, Reinhart for instance? White/Cousins/Balcers/Lomberg also do not PK so that's another ~5mins of game play they do not see the ice. are they superior PK alternatives to who was iced? :dunno: no idea.

so roughly 15 mins of game play that the 4th line and most of the 3rd doesnt see the ice b/c of special teams. then add in that it was a close game (more reliance on top-6).

Nobody wants those scrubs out when losing but when not losing if they got a few more minutes a game and the top guys got a few minutes less, the top guys wouldn't get gassed out around game 40 or 50
and that's what happened? it might be to simple to just look at wins or losses but overall for our Cs it does look like in wins they played the bottom 6 a bit more compared to the top-6. also need to account for game flow, special teams and OT though.

i do think we need better bottom-6ers so they could be played a bit more. guys who can score will be more playable. Lowry this past year was the worst on the team in 5v5 +/- b/c his line couldn't score. Toninato sporting a whopping on-ice GF of 1.61 gf/60, Lowry at 1.21 gf/60. we need better players in the bottom-6. plain and simple, & they'd get more TOI i believe or trusted.

look at 17-18 at the ATOI for fwds when we had a good bottom-6.

if you're saying players like ehlers should play more, i agree wholeheartedly. i think ehlers and wheeler should have their ATOI basically switched.

Reactions: Jack7222

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Oh I dont disagree Maurice was a problem (lol look who you're talking to). i just dont think it's simple as looking at the end of TOI stats of this game and be like oh he didn't play the bottom 6 for FLA.

10 mins of pp time = 0 TOI for White, Cousins, Lomberg, Luostarinen, Balcers. would you put those players out when you had superior options of Barkov, Verhaeghe, Tkahuck, Reinhart for instance? White/Cousins/Balcers/Lomberg also do not PK so that's another ~5mins of game play they do not see the ice. are they superior PK alternatives to who was iced? :dunno: no idea.

so roughly 15 mins of game play that the 4th line and most of the 3rd doesnt see the ice b/c of special teams. then add in that it was a close game (more reliance on top-6).

and that's what happened? it might be to simple to just look at wins or losses but overall for our Cs it does look like in wins they played the bottom 6 a bit more compared to the top-6. also need to account for game flow, special teams and OT though.

i do think we need better bottom-6ers so they could be played a bit more. guys who can score will be more playable. Lowry this past year was the worst on the team in 5v5 +/- b/c his line couldn't score. Toninato sporting a whopping on-ice GF of 1.61 gf/60, Lowry at 1.21 gf/60. we need better players in the bottom-6. plain and simple, & they'd get more TOI i believe or trusted.

look at 17-18 at the ATOI for fwds when we had a good bottom-6.

if you're saying players like ehlers should play more, i agree wholeheartedly. i think ehlers and wheeler should have their ATOI basically switched.

As long as goaltending holds up Maurice has a good enough roster upfront. He'll do just fine in Florida imo as he's an average NHL coach that tends to be able to inspire teams to good results his first few seasons before his lack of tactical accume starts to become problematic.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I love how all the insiders think Patrick Kane is going to a team with zero cap space.

Seems they think it's easy to add $10 million to a roster in season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad