Pre-Game Talk: Week of Make a F***ing Save, Damnit! vs NYI (Mon 7PM); vs BOS (Wed 7:30PM); vs ANA (Fri 7PM); @ SJ (Sun 6PM)

How many goaltenders will play for the Avs this week?

Votes: 3 6.3%

Votes: 3 6.3%

Votes: 24 50.0%

Votes: 4 8.3%

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
We’ve never had luck with players who’s name end with NS…

Timmins, Siemens etc…. Would probably end up being another bust for the Avs. Stay away
We could really use Timmins right about now. Couldn't be worse than Kylington.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
The only positive thing I can think of is that I'd rather have this team fight and scrape it's way into the playoffs rather then go up big and coast into the playoffs. Reinforcements will eventually come but something has to happen to unify this team.

The team has taken hit after hit from a leadership perspective. Landy, Kadri, EJ, JJ, and Cogliano. The list just goes on and on....

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Need to put everything in perspective here. The start is rough understandably as the team is in shambles. But everything might turn out a fairytale if our vast group of injured mofo's finally all get back together and start winning regularly. Think about if Landy also makes the comeback, contributes... The sports romantic in me clings on to hope it will happen and it will be a pure joy to witness.

Last year Edmonton started badly.. Blues were dead last around Christmas in their cup year..

Not losing all faith here after four games. The adversity hits early but the hope is this yearbook will have the best chapters saved to the end.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
We’ve never had luck with players who’s name end with NS…

Timmins, Siemens etc…. Would probably end up being another bust for the Avs. Stay away
1729172095828.png

Reactions: dahrougem2

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
There's been a couple of good things, amongst the bad.

Good:
-Parker Kelly, Ivan Ivan, and Nikolai Kovalenko all look the part. Hope to see them involved all year.
-Ross Colton looks awesome right now. Finally playing a heavy game and maintaining possession consistently.

Bad:
-Casey Mittelstadt needs to be better. You could blame it on a lack of consistent line mates, but I don't like how he's looked so far. Possession numbers are really against him.
-Avs aren't playing their system at all right now. Lots of giveaways, and getting pinned in their own end a ton.

Ugly:
-Goaltending. Don't need to expand on that much.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We're not in must win territory, but the Avs really need to find a way to get a couple points at least vs Anaheim and San Jose. I that a few things I think should happen.

One of the backups needs to start. Don't care which, but give the team a different picture in net. A different focus. I get why the Avs are continuing to start George, but there needs to be a change up here.

Kylington should not see the ice again for a while. Dude is completely lost. He skates well, but that is really it. He can't take a hit, certainly can't deliver one, he fumbles pucks, makes bad passes, doesn't read the play well, can't keep the zone, etc etc. He needs to be sat down regardless of the injury situation. I'd waive him, but the Avs won't do that yet.

Mitts needs to get some semblance of NHL talent around him. Ideally he needs a shooter. Kovalenko isn't nearly skilled enough to capitalize on chances. Ritchie has talent, but is completely lost. Colton and LOC don't really work either. IMO they should try Rants.

Ritchie really needs sent back down. The kid is so lost out there and it is getting worse. You see his flashes of talent, but there is no idea to apply it. He's causing the Avs to get stuck in their own zone 2-3+ times a night with a bad turnover or soft play in his own zone. He can't defend the point, and this is compounded as Bednar is asking Mitts (and thus Ritchie) to shutdown guys. I can't see a place where he can be sheltered right now either. If we had a solid 4th line and he could be utilized up the in specific situations or PP time, sure. But we don't have that.

Kelly needs to be sat down. This 3C experiment needs to die. It was worried about in preseason, and all those worries (plus a lot) are there. He's probably not an every night NHLer let alone a guy in that role. We don't have much center depth, so use what you have and put Colton there to try to get 3 lines worth. Kelly should be your extra forward and ideally on the wing only.

Lastly, the Avs need to scour the waiver wire or find fringe guys available in trades. There is not nearly enough actual talent on this team. The AHL guys up here now had their own issues maintaining a high level of play in that league last year. I don't think the son of Pepe or Gambrell are the answer, but other guys will show up and plenty of teams do minor swaps early in the year. They need to push as much of the AHL level talent out of the lineup as possible. IIRC the Avs are at 43/44 contracts, they have room.

Reactions: BaconNater

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Good:
-Parker Kelly, Ivan Ivan, and Nikolai Kovalenko all look the part. Hope to see them involved all year.
-Ross Colton looks awesome right now. Finally playing a heavy game and maintaining possession consistently.

Bad:
-Casey Mittelstadt needs to be better. You could blame it on a lack of consistent line mates, but I don't like how he's looked so far. Possession numbers are really against him.
-Avs aren't playing their system at all right now. Lots of giveaways, and getting pinned in their own end a ton.

Ugly:
I don't know what you see in Parker Kelly. All I see is an average skating dummy with zero puck skill or offensive awareness.

Reactions: missionAvs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
We're not in must win territory, but the Avs really need to find a way to get a couple points at least vs Anaheim and San Jose. I that a few things I think should happen.

One of the backups needs to start. Don't care which, but give the team a different picture in net. A different focus. I get why the Avs are continuing to start George, but there needs to be a change up here.

Kylington should not see the ice again for a while. Dude is completely lost. He skates well, but that is really it. He can't take a hit, certainly can't deliver one, he fumbles pucks, makes bad passes, doesn't read the play well, can't keep the zone, etc etc. He needs to be sat down regardless of the injury situation. I'd waive him, but the Avs won't do that yet.

Mitts needs to get some semblance of NHL talent around him. Ideally he needs a shooter. Kovalenko isn't nearly skilled enough to capitalize on chances. Ritchie has talent, but is completely lost. Colton and LOC don't really work either. IMO they should try Rants.

Ritchie really needs sent back down. The kid is so lost out there and it is getting worse. You see his flashes of talent, but there is no idea to apply it. He's causing the Avs to get stuck in their own zone 2-3+ times a night with a bad turnover or soft play in his own zone. He can't defend the point, and this is compounded as Bednar is asking Mitts (and thus Ritchie) to shutdown guys. I can't see a place where he can be sheltered right now either. If we had a solid 4th line and he could be utilized up the in specific situations or PP time, sure. But we don't have that.

Kelly needs to be sat down. This 3C experiment needs to die. It was worried about in preseason, and all those worries (plus a lot) are there. He's probably not an every night NHLer let alone a guy in that role. We don't have much center depth, so use what you have and put Colton there to try to get 3 lines worth. Kelly should be your extra forward and ideally on the wing only.

Lastly, the Avs need to scour the waiver wire or find fringe guys available in trades. There is not nearly enough actual talent on this team. The AHL guys up here now had their own issues maintaining a high level of play in that league last year. I don't think the son of Pepe or Gambrell are the answer, but other guys will show up and plenty of teams do minor swaps early in the year. They need to push as much of the AHL level talent out of the lineup as possible. IIRC the Avs are at 43/44 contracts, they have room.
Given the injuries even at the time it's strange the Avs never put a claim in for Lavoie.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Given the injuries even at the time it's strange the Avs never put a claim in for Lavoie.
There's a number of guys they could have claimed that would help right now. Wouldn't make things perfect, buy would help. Going forward there will be guys too. I'd really like to see 2 or 3 to push some guys out of the lineup.

I think once healthy our center depth was supposed to be Nate - Casey - Colton - Kelly
All 4 of them are healthy, so that's what it should be now. I get the Colton on the wing is to help the issues there, but we have a completely ineffective bottom 6 that's causing our top guys to be overplayed. I'd probably go further as say Kelly as a 4C is also a choice... dude hasn't played center in the NHL prior and doesn't look good there. Having a legit 4C would help.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think I'll wait on subscribing to SN+ after last year's subscription just expired. Four games in and I'm ready to tune out.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021

Good:

Bad:

Ugly:
yeah Colton has been good He looks more 2C than Mitts.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Was out of town for the first three games so I didn't get to see them on TV until last night. Didn't realize they finally acquiesced and got a jersey sponsor. As if I wasn't bummed enough about this team...oh well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Was out of town for the first three games so I didn't get to see them on TV until last night. Didn't realize they finally acquiesced and got a jersey sponsor. As if I wasn't bummed enough about this team...oh well.
Did you see the whole 10 minute propaganda piece on it during the 3rd game?:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
God no. Ten minutes!?!?
They had an exec in the booth talking about Altitude+ and then it moved into the patch. A whole puff piece of a company that has a long history with the Avs, buys tickets, and they fit culturally. Just a good, solid wholesome company... you know all things that insurance brokers are known for. It was pretty hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad