Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Sad to read. At this point he just needs to be out of Edmonton and with another organization where he doesn't have the 3rd overall pick expectations hanging over his head. I see him in Columbus, Carolina or Florida next season.
That would be great for him IMHO. I am of the mind that the Oil didn't help this guy much (have we heard this before?). Poor coaching, perhaps. Lots of pressure, not much development (if any) and he has regressed since his days with the Finnish junior nats. There is no way Holland can expect a first rounder in trade now, and so, predictably, they continue strange usage and thus his effectiveness is all but gone.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
That would be great for him IMHO. I am of the mind that the Oil didn't help this guy much (have we heard this before?). Poor coaching, perhaps. Lots of pressure, not much development (if any) and he has regressed since his days with the Finnish junior nats. There is no way Holland can expect a first rounder in trade now, and so, predictably, they continue strange usage and thus his effectiveness is all but gone.
Jets should make a trade. PooljRvu needs a change of scenery!

Reactions: kanadalainen

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What's up with the Finns these last few years? Even Laine, although he's clearly a star NHL player, can we say he's improved much since his 18-19 year old seasons? Like we all thought "Holy smokes this guy is torching the league as a teenager - just wait a couple of years!" but there's been no real next step. Not a disappointment because his floor was super high to begin with but still...

Then there's Puljujarvi - fizzled. He's a 4th overall Maenalanen.

Juolevi - was he just buoyed by the high tide of that Finnish junior crop in 2016?

Finns were all the rage for a few years. The next draft, Heiskanen has been legit great, but Jusso/Juuso/Jjusoo Valimaki, Vaakanainen, Vesalainen, Heponiemi - all taken in the first or early second round, big disappointments (or outright busts). Kotkaniemi in 2018 has been pretty disappointing as well. Kakko too, for a guy who was touted as a #1...still early days, but. And then there's our own Heinola who hasn't yet been able to put it all together...

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What's up with the Finns these last few years? Even Laine, although he's clearly a star NHL player, can we say he's improved much since his 18-19 year old seasons? Like we all thought "Holy smokes this guy is torching the league as a teenager - just wait a couple of years!" but there's been no real next step. Not a disappointment because his floor was super high to begin with but still...

Then there's Puljujarvi - fizzled. He's a 4th overall Maenalanen.

Juolevi - was he just buoyed by the high tide of that Finnish junior crop in 2016?

Finns were all the rage for a few years. The next draft, Heiskanen has been legit great, but Jusso/Juuso/Jjusoo Valimaki, Vaakanainen, Vesalainen, Heponiemi - all taken in the first or early second round, big disappointments (or outright busts). Kotkaniemi in 2018 has been pretty disappointing as well. Kakko too, for a guy who was touted as a #1...still early days, but. And then there's our own Heinola who hasn't yet been able to put it all together...
So what are your thoughts (as to why) on what you are seeing?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good! Every once and awhile I get to catch some games. Really loving this run we are on. Team feels different than it has before. Got my garage up before winter hit. I can't complain about much these days.

How about yourself?

Nice to hear about your garage project beating winter to the punch. Kind of same as you I have been watching way less hockey due to life being busy but I am also enjoying what I am seeing. Life is good these days and I don't have much to complain about either.

This place is better with you my friend.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Nice to hear about your garage project beating winter to the punch. Kind of same as you I have been watching way less hockey due to life being busy but I am also enjoying what I am seeing. Life is good these days and I don't have much to complain about either.

This place is better with you my friend.

I try to pop in when I can. Have a couple days off so thought I'd grace the forum with my presence and obnoxious opinions. :DD

Glad to see some familiar faces and talk Jets with my HFJets buddies when I can.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So what are your thoughts (as to why) on what you are seeing?
Well it could just be some bad luck. There's quite a list of 1st rounders of every background who never panned out for whatever reason. Bad luck combined with a "gotta getta Finn!" scouting trend, maybe?

Or Finns might just be doing a good job of Junior development and for whatever reason they're hitting their peaks early and the post-draft development isn't aligning well with their earlier development?

Or maybe a lot of them are getting rushed into the NHL - sort of part of the "Finns doing a good job with their Junior development" theory. They've played in a men's league in the Liiga, they look NHL ready, but maybe they still needed a couple of seasons to fully mature.

Probably some combo of all of these...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Folks in Arizona show the people at CLC how to throw hands dude in the red even clocks a chick until the cop decides to crowd surf.

dude in the red was throwing bombs. absolutely rocked that chick in the 87 shirt. sent her flying down. idk why ppl try to fight when the other person has the higher ground. youre gonna lose.

Reactions: bustamente

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
dude in the red was throwing bombs. absolutely rocked that chick in the 87 shirt. sent her flying down. idk why ppl try to fight when the other person has the higher ground. youre gonna lose.

star-wars-i-have-the-high-ground.gif

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jack Hughes with a record 6:02 shift for the Devils, Schief super jealous

It's barely a record. Kovalev had over 7 minutes but ice time wasn't recorded then, Player back in the early days used to play the entire game.

It's the dumbest record ever.

Reactions: sipowicz

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Alcohol at a sporting event with two different fan bases, stupidity takes control, but that cop though was having none of it

Reactions: kanadalainen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad