Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
That's why all these graphs and charts 'win o meter' bullshit isn't worth the bytes that were used to create them. There is way too many unknowns in the data points, collection, compilation and science behind them.

Bad data in, bad data out.

So those elite few percent who consistently turn a profit on fantasy draft sports are what, then? The luckiest folks alive?

• Haha
Reactions: Jet

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I don’t have any ill will towards Maurice.
Though I think He should have been fired after 2018-19 season and that was management’s decision
Helle was saving PoMo’s bacon for two years until the resignation
Once Florida gets decent goaltending and scoring PoMo will be off the hot seat.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Its probably a bit early to do a happy dance regarding Maurice's failures. The Panthers have had a lot of injuries on defense and the are paying their starter $10 M to give them a .888 SV%.
I think Maurice is a good guy and a decent coach. He just way overstayed his welcome here. It is interesting to see him doing some of the same stuff in Florida that annoyed Jets fans.

I think what's happened in FLA is that when goaltending collapses it just erodes everyone's composure. Everyone tightens up, gets out of synch, stops playing the system. It's tough to pull out of that tailspin. Back in the day, teams would try a shakeup trade or just fire the coach, but things are more complicated (and more expensive, and restricted by the cap) now. Anyway, I don't know if there are many coaches who can stop that snowball once it starts rolling downhill.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
daniel sprong has had a weird last couple years lol. all this guy does is produce with his limited TOI and linemates. he was a player i brought up as a potential bottom-6er/top9er here. now top-10 in 5v5 pts/60 in the nhl. 7th in goals/60 since 2020.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I know Laine fans used to say that Laine was the next Mario Lemieux level talent... there was a Lemieux in that draft, but his name was Tage Thompson not Patrick Laine. The guy is absolutely unreal and alone worth watching Sabres games.

Reactions: kanadalainen

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I wasn't posting it in full agreement, but he's not the only coach to give up a 2 on 0 or semi-frequent odd man rushes.

Bobrovsky hasn't been great and Knight started poorly. Anyone who watches the Panthers would've told you that in October.

The Panthers are 3rd bottom in the league for Goal Diff Above Expected, which means their finishing compared to the quality of chances they are getting is brutal, and also that the goalies have been giving up more goals than they should.

It's not all Maurice. He's definitely a reason why their special teams are not good, and he's got other faults but it's not ALL him.
All depends if this roster was built fir Maurice coaching style - which it certainly seems like it was

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I think Maurice is a good guy and a decent coach. He just way overstayed his welcome here. It is interesting to see him doing some of the same stuff in Florida that annoyed Jets fans.

I think what's happened in FLA is that when goaltending collapses it just erodes everyone's composure. Everyone tightens up, gets out of synch, stops playing the system. It's tough to pull out of that tailspin. Back in the day, teams would try a shakeup trade or just fire the coach, but things are more complicated (and more expensive, and restricted by the cap) now. Anyway, I don't know if there are many coaches who can stop that snowball once it starts rolling downhill.
The only thing I can blame Maurice for in Florida are the Staal brothers. They were both signed after he was signed and seem like signature veteran d-man and vet penalty killing centreman moves that used to happen here every offseason during his era. It is very likely that they are his guys but even they are just 4th line/3rd pairing types and shouldn't be impacting results this much. The goalie curse that used to follow Maurice pre-Helle seems to be back for him.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
You can't hate on Maurice too badly, because he was the one who fired Maurice, who I hate on...

wait, what?

giphy.gif

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The only thing I can blame Maurice for in Florida are the Staal brothers. They were both signed after he was signed and seem like signature veteran d-man and vet penalty killing centreman moves that used to happen here every offseason during his era. It is very likely that they are his guys but even they are just 4th line/3rd pairing types and shouldn't be impacting results this much. The goalie curse that used to follow Maurice pre-Helle seems to be back for him.
Maurice is an average coach at best and his coaching record and trends prove it, even with teams that have talent he can't make it work!

He's almost at his natural .500 coaching record with the Panthers and it won't be long, 1 win in the last 7 games, he'll be let go near the end of the season or shortly after!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Sure but he's been using Staal the same way he used Poolman. Playing him way above his capabilities. So yes a Staal playing top 3 d minutes will have an impact.

That might be more an indictment on their GM for their dcore but we've seen that same old song and dance here.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad