Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
It's strange reading on the Panthers' board about familiar things: "He overplays [shitty vet]! Why didn't he use his time out? His post-game answers are baffling!"

The unnecessary gamesmanship disguised as wit really wore thin after a while. I think going to a team with already high expectations is going to mean a quick exit for Maurice.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It's strange reading on the Panthers' board about familiar things: "He overplays [shitty vet]! Why didn't he use his time out? His post-game answers are baffling!"

Well, PoMo will have $3.9M to dry his tears each season for the next 3 years...so don't feel too bad.
I don’t wish anything bad for Maurice at all.
He was effective initially AND a huge supporter of the city.
He is what he is and the new coach effect isn’t happening.
Unlike TNSE he won’t get much/any rope in Florida.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don’t wish anything bad for Maurice at all.
He was effective initially AND a huge supporter of the city.
He is what he is and the new coach effect isn’t happening.
Unlike TNSE he won’t get much/any rope in Florida.
Its probably a bit early to do a happy dance regarding Maurice's failures. The Panthers have had a lot of injuries on defense and the are paying their starter $10 M to give them a .888 SV%.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Its probably a bit early to do a happy dance regarding Maurice's failures. The Panthers have had a lot of injuries on defense and the are paying their starter $10 M to give them a .888 SV%.
Didn’t Winnipeg always have lot’s of defensive injuries with PoMo as well?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I’m definitely not doing a happy dance I just don’t think he’s effective as a coach anymore.
Using goal tending as a factor, he owes Hellebucyk at least 3 years salary for his extended stay here.
I like Maurice but it is what it is

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Seeing vilardi excel with the injuries he's gone through sure is a nice story.

I was hoping to snag him this offseason whe there where rumblings that he was available. Also glad to see him doing well. I was a bug fan of his as a prospect.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
No they say they are statistically insignificant :sarcasm:

The value of a face off win, even in the o zone on the power play, is a few hundredths of a goal. It’s up to you to decide whether it’s significant, and whether or not it warrants putting an otherwise much worse player on the ice for that extra 1-2% chance to win a face off.

It’s a 10+ year old article but every one like it after has beat the same drum.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The value of a face off win, even in the o zone on the power play, is a few hundredths of a goal. It’s up to you to decide whether it’s significant, and whether or not it warrants putting an otherwise much worse player on the ice for that extra 1-2% chance to win a face off.

I was at one game against San Jose a few years back.
We lost a defensive zone face off with under 5 seconds and lost 2-1 when I was sure we were going to OT
I vaguely recall another situation on TV where we lost in a similar fashion.
So perhaps in the world is averages it isn’t significant but it certainly can be in critical situations.
So articles about them being insignificant overall are cold comfort.
To me getting possession is important but maybe that’s just me.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

That's not really the point.

There's a lot of parity in the league, and teams need to find every edge possible to win consistently. Some things are bigger, and some are smaller, but even the small ones contribute, and the small ones add up.

I do think at times that faceoffs are overrated but they do have direct and indirect impacts through a game.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah poor Maurice is back to his pre Helle days of terrible goaltending. The issue is it likely doesn't get resolved anytime soon as Noone is taking Bobroski at that cap hit. He's going to have to ride Knight and hope he's ready.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

He makes money selling colorful, fancy stats charts about hockey games he mostly doesn't watch. Panthers fans who watch all the actual hockey games are a better source - go to their hfboard, or look at some of the responses to his tweet but that is a short discussion.

I wonder how that 2 on 0 breakaway yesterday and the odd man rushes they give up game after game shows up as the goaltenders fault in those fancy stat charts. I wonder how all the perimeter, low quality high volume shots reflect on finishing in those fancy stat charts.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He makes money selling colorful, fancy stats charts about hockey games he mostly doesn't watch. Panthers fans who watch all the actual hockey games are a better source - go to their hfboard, or look at some of the responses to his tweet but that is a short discussion.

I wonder how that 2 on 0 breakaway yesterday and the odd man rushes they give up game after game shows up as the goaltenders fault in those fancy stat charts. I wonder how all the perimeter, low quality high volume shots reflect on finishing in those fancy stat charts.

I wasn't posting it in full agreement, but he's not the only coach to give up a 2 on 0 or semi-frequent odd man rushes.

Bobrovsky hasn't been great and Knight started poorly. Anyone who watches the Panthers would've told you that in October.

The Panthers are 3rd bottom in the league for Goal Diff Above Expected, which means their finishing compared to the quality of chances they are getting is brutal, and also that the goalies have been giving up more goals than they should.

It's not all Maurice. He's definitely a reason why their special teams are not good, and he's got other faults but it's not ALL him.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad