Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
is this through the same time period? can you show the PP stats by any chance? W/Ls do matter too.
PP is at 14.75%, PK is 75.44% both well below league average. Corsi stats are nice and all but sometimes don't mean a thing. Maurice is experiencing the same problems he did last year, which led to his resignation before termination. Special teams failures.

It looks like Spencer Knight is taking over the goaltending duties. His .922 Sv% compared to Bob's .897 stands out and probably accounts for some of the discrepancy in shot metrics vs W/L.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Comrie is now on his 7th season (with his 4th team by the way, considering you've brought the Jets being Rittich's 4th team) with career stats worse than Rittich.

I don't think arguing about backups with you is really worthwhile since you once told me the backup could be something like a 10 point swing in the standings, but I haven't seen anything egregious from Rittich this season (again, only 2 games) so I'm not worried. The team has played what seems like every 3rd day - the main guy is going to get those starts on any team.

There’s no way a backup could cost you that much.

If Hellebuyck is a .920 and we had to play an AHL call up for 1/3rd of a year (a truly disastrous outcome), at 27 games * 30 shots a game * 0.015 worse SV% (assuming .905 for AHL call up), that’s 12.15 more goals than we’d get compared to 27 more games at .920; each +/- 1 goal differential works out to about 1/3rd of a point, so you’re looking at 4 points.

Still a lot to directly attribute to one player’s performance but 10 points? Even in this disastrous case, not even close.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
PP is at 14.75%, PK is 75.44% both well below league average. Corsi stats are nice and all but sometimes don't mean a thing. Maurice is experiencing the same problems he did last year, which led to his resignation before termination. Special teams failures.

It looks like Spencer Knight is taking over the goaltending duties. His .922 Sv% compared to Bob's .897 stands out and probably accounts for some of the discrepancy in shot metrics vs W/L.
Ugh this is what I hate about advanced stats (not a comment on you as a poster personally)

"Advanced stats are nice but sometimes don't mean a thing" - aka "I'll use them when they prove my point and dismiss them when they say im wrong - but I don't need to worry about cognitive dissonance or confirmation bias..." Basically what most advanced stats preachers do.

The reason pomo left here wasn't because the PP sucked. It was because of how the team was responding to his "message". He lost the room and only he had thr balls to do anything about it

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Winnipeg was such a good situation for him. He had Wheeler feeding him 1-timers on the PP with the threat of Scheifele to take attention away from him. He had Ehlers one of the best play driving wingers in the league playing with him at 5v5 and they genuinely tried to find a C for him every season.

Too bad he couldn't beat an aging Wheeler during the 19-20 season when he was given the opportunity (and yes he genuinely lost out to 26 not some Maurice favoritism). He should have been patient, he would have been the 1RW by default in a year or so anyway as 26 aged.

His agent and his sycophants in Finland like Pekka Jalonen did him a disservice trying to convince him that he was a better player than he was at that time. CBJ franchise has been his to take lead and run away with but it hasn't worked out.
In what sense did he lose out to Wheeler in 2019-20? At age 21, Laine scored more points per game, more points per minute, more points at 5v5, more points in all situations, more goals for per minute, fewer goals against per minute. I think Wheeler narrowly beats him in all-situation primary assists per minute but Laine's a shooter so that makes sense. Wheeler also had better xGA/60, but I'm pretty sure Maurice wasn't looking at that. Maybe zone time? Although even there, Wheeler played way more minutes with Ehlers than Laine did that year - and Ehlers is the Jets' best play-driver.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Ugh this is what I hate about advanced stats (not a comment on you as a poster personally)

"Advanced stats are nice but sometimes don't mean a thing" - aka "I'll use them when they prove my point and dismiss them when they say im wrong - but I don't need to worry about cognitive dissonance or confirmation bias..." Basically what most advanced stats preachers do.

The reason pomo left here wasn't because the PP sucked. It was because of how the team was responding to his "message". He lost the room and only he had thr balls to do anything about it
I just think they are used way too much without context. You really don't win games with expected goals, it's just some new science that if you shoot more you have a better chance to win. But I think fundamental hockey is zone possession time, you can't get scored on from the other end of the ice, more you work a team in their end, the better chance you have for a quality shot, or drawing a penalty. Which I think explains the Jets dumping the puck alot this year, and not trying to make the fancy seam plays of the past as much, which can end up going the other way quickly, even with a shot on goal. Defending, it's always important to negate odd man rushes, those are potential scoring chances every time. Secondly keep the middle of the ice closed off, between the circles, because that's the most dangerous shooting area. Give up one shot, but ensure the rebounds are not available.

I think we're seeing all of these things from the Jets this year.

Special teams are more important than shot metrics. You can outshoot your opponent for a whole period, take one penalty, and be down a goal. On one shot. I think finally management has finally recognized how important having good special teams are.

As for why Po Mo left. Maybe he did lose the room, but I think his inability to run a PP without Jamie Kompon had some effect, you could clearly see he was having some difficulty with the strategic part of it, once you saw a formation where every player was on his strongside and there were no passing options. Both the Buffalo and Arizona games the PP could have produced the tying goal, and just stunk. I don't know if the players grew frustrated too, but something really went south. PK was in the shitter again last year to start, which eventually started losing games.

Scott Arniel doesn't get enough credit for what he has brought to this organization in his coaching experience and techniques, because he's the guy who turned around the PK here. Brad Lauer still has some work to do on the PP.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
In what sense did he lose out to Wheeler in 2019-20? At age 21, Laine scored more points per game, more points per minute, more points at 5v5, more points in all situations, more goals for per minute, fewer goals against per minute. I think Wheeler narrowly beats him in all-situation primary assists per minute but Laine's a shooter so that makes sense. Wheeler also had better xGA/60, but I'm pretty sure Maurice wasn't looking at that. Maybe zone time? Although even there, Wheeler played way more minutes with Ehlers than Laine did that year - and Ehlers is the Jets' best play-driver.

I don't care that much about points. For me the discussion starts and ends with the 5 on 5 shot metrics, which is the first bar to clear (points discussions comes after that):

Scheifele-Laine

xGF%:42.54%
CF% : 45.48%

Scheifele-Wheeler

xGF%:48.60%
CF% : 50.23%

You can say that Laine's GF% is not as bad as his xGF% but when you are playing the top line against toughest competiion I would not want to count on that when you're giving up over 3 xGA/60.

I don't know if Maurice was looking at that or not (although he did specifically mention that Laine-Scheifele's metrics together were not good the next season after 29 was traded) I am just speaking for myself. That run in 19-20 settled the debate for me that Laine was just not ready and had not earned playing top line wing when Wheeler was an alternative. All this is also borne out in what has happened in CBJ where Laine is their top line winger but hasn't shown much.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I just dropped Lafreniere from my fantasy team. Seven points in 17 games this season, that’s rough. I really thought this would be the year he would break out.

Him and Kakko haven’t exactly panned out for the Rangers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hes doing exactly what a backup should and at a great cost. Not sure Comrie or Bro would be a better option so far. Of course it's super early but so far so good

I'm not concerned with our backups. The org has generally got it right with them. Given we have Helle we really don't need to spend much on a backup as they only get around 20 games.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I just dropped Lafreniere from my fantasy team. Seven points in 17 games this season, that’s rough. I really thought this would be the year he would break out.

I wonder if we could pry one away as a project?

Reactions: snowkiddin

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB

I wouldn't mind trying to get Laff here if the price is right, there is potential in his play it just hasn't translated on the ice just yet

Reactions: Jet and snowkiddin

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020

He’s one of the worst defensive players in the league, and he’s not gonna change now. This has been the assessment since he’s been in Columbus from the fan base. He will get you some points every now and again but his defensive play is atrocious.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There’s no way a backup could cost you that much.

If Hellebuyck is a .920 and we had to play an AHL call up for 1/3rd of a year (a truly disastrous outcome), at 27 games * 30 shots a game * 0.015 worse SV% (assuming .905 for AHL call up), that’s 12.15 more goals than we’d get compared to 27 more games at .920; each +/- 1 goal differential works out to about 1/3rd of a point, so you’re looking at 4 points.

Still a lot to directly attribute to one player’s performance but 10 points? Even in this disastrous case, not even close.

That analysis is logical. But it assumes all else is equal. We've seen teams play worse in front of a BU goalie, presumably because they lack faith in him. I'm sure there have been BU goalies with losing records on otherwise good teams and BU with winning records on similar teams.

Comrie was 10-5-1 with us last year. That is an even better W/L % than the 15-10 I suggested. And we weren't that good a team. Driedger went 9-14-1 with the Krakken last year. While they were a worse team than what Comrie played behind the goaltending was a big part of the difference. Maybe Varlamov with NYI would be a more fair comparison. He went 10-17-2. Normalize him and Comrie to 25 games and you get 19 pts for Varlamov and 32.8 for Comrie.

I never suggested that a 10 pt difference would be typical. I said it was at the extreme end. More typical might be your 4 pts difference between a good one and a bad one. 4 pts can mean a big difference in a season. How many players make that much difference to their teams' results and how many of those who do earn between 750k and 2.5 mil?

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
A checkup on some former Jets season thus far:

copp.png

roslo.png

stastny.png

kova.png

lainne.png

Doesn't seem like we miss any of these guys much with perhaps the exception of Kova who might be the one that got away. Time will tell as samples are still small.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Copp is the only surprising result for me. Laine battling injuries which sucks for him. He’s going to be 25 in April and he’s in his 7th NHL season and he has yet to take that next step up that I thought he would. Got a nice contract so thats a win for him. `

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad