Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Ovie murdering Bolts D men with his shot, two done in a span of a minute, Foote injured by a flying elbow earlier Bolts down to 3 D men

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This team needs a solid backup. If not Bro, then someone else. Maybe Rittich manages to get the job done but he hasn't done anything to reassure me so far. Maybe Brossoit is past it. He might have had his peak with us a couple of years ago. Maybe injury has caught up to him. But he is only 29. Maybe he can rebound.
Why take a gamble on a guy who's a career backup, coming of significant injury, and is 2.5x the cap hit of our current backup?

FYI, they have identical career save percentages.

You have to see if Rittich can do the job, and if not, I'm sure you can find a much better backup for 2.3M

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Oh, speaking of backups, remember when this place was on fire cause we let comrie walk?

Screenshot_20221111-215253_Chrome.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He would also add $3,000,000 to the organizations bottom line as that is his base salary this season. Not sure Chipman/Chevy want to add $1.4 M towards the cap and $3 M out of team profits for approx similar back up goaltending. Also the problem of adding another goalie to the mix on the Moose where they are developing Salminen and Holms. My guess if Rittich struggles the first choice will be to give Salminen an opportunity to prove he can be the backup. If not there is likely someone you can pick up cheap at the TD.

Wait, wait, wait!
When he was signed, the story was that we would be able to pick up better off waivers early in the season. That's now, but now you say TD. Salminen has exactly 7 games of NA pro under his belt. He shows promise but I don't think they want to toss him into the NHL quite yet. Holm hasn't shown much promise. I guess he has been a little better lately but he is 24 and hasn't shown a hint of ever playing in the NHL.

You aren't paying anything for approx similar backup goaltending. You are betting on it being significantly better. I wasn't aware of Bro's salary for this year. That would hurt, especially since it is a bit of a gamble.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why take a gamble on a guy who's a career backup, coming of significant injury, and is 2.5x the cap hit of our current backup?

FYI, they have identical career save percentages.

You have to see if Rittich can do the job, and if not, I'm sure you can find a much better backup for 2.3M

Fine. Not Brossoit then.
If Rittich is going to play nothing but the back end of the b2b's he isn't good enough. Helle would play every game if they let him. Most goalies would. But overworking him doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and Jet

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Fine. Not Brossoit then.
If Rittich is going to play nothing but the back end of the b2b's he isn't good enough. Helle would play every game if they let him. Most goalies would. But overworking him doesn't make sense.
I don't disagree much with that, except:

Hellebuyck seems to play better when he plays a lot, so would reducing his games also negatively affect his performance? (We don't really know)

I am totally aboard the 'if Rittich can't adequately perform his role then make a move' camp. However, he's here now, and had not really had a chance to prove it out one way or another.

Comrie had a run of 15 games in his career that had people up in arms over him leaving. I'm sure you could find spots in Rittich s career where he did the same. Maybe rittich goes on one of those runs? Why fix something before it's broke, especially with his limited impact?

The one thing I will say in favor of your argument is if Helle goes down (God no) the Jets will have to scramble and likely overpay for someone to fill in.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wait, wait, wait!
When he was signed, the story was that we would be able to pick up better off waivers early in the season. That's now, but now you say TD. Salminen has exactly 7 games of NA pro under his belt. He shows promise but I don't think they want to toss him into the NHL quite yet. Holm hasn't shown much promise. I guess he has been a little better lately but he is 24 and hasn't shown a hint of ever playing in the NHL.

You aren't paying anything for approx similar backup goaltending. You are betting on it being significantly better. I wasn't aware of Bro's salary for this year. That would hurt, especially since it is a bit of a gamble.
I didn't make that argument when we signed Rittich. I thought he was a reasonable backup signing. In the relatively similar ballpark as LB and Comrie. For the most part people get too worked up about the backup. Take LB and Rittich, they are both 29 y/o and have identical career .905 SV%. Both have had inconsistent careers of better and worse seasons. Who knows how that coin flip lands this season. What we do know is LB costs almost 3 X as much, is coming off a serious injury and was absolutely horrible in his 2 starts in the AHL. To add to that you're not trading one for the other you would have both and have to pay both, and find a place for Rittich to play when you are trying to develop 2 young goalies on the Moose.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Hellebuyck seems to play better when he plays a lot, so would reducing his games also negatively affect his performance? (We don't really know)

I am totally aboard the 'if Rittich can't adequately perform his role then make a move' camp. However, he's here now, and had not really had a chance to prove it out one way or another.

Comrie had a run of 15 games in his career that had people up in arms over him leaving. I'm sure you could find spots in Rittich s career where he did the same. Maybe rittich goes on one of those runs? Why fix something before it's broke, especially with his limited impact?

The one thing I will say in favor of your argument is if Helle goes down (God no) the Jets will have to scramble and likely overpay for someone to fill in.
In terms of Helly's work load, IMO he is at the point of his career and as one of the truly elite goalies in the NHL, you work with him on mapping out which games he plays. He likes to play a lot and Flats would have a real good handle on his work rest rhythms. Ideally this season we aren't in an all out battle at the playoff bubble that you have to ride Helly hard down the stretch and you can work in a little more rest time.

Reactions: BoneDocUK and Jet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This team needs a solid backup. If not Bro, then someone else. Maybe Rittich manages to get the job done but he hasn't done anything to reassure me so far. Maybe Brossoit is past it. He might have had his peak with us a couple of years ago. Maybe injury has caught up to him. But he is only 29. Maybe he can rebound.

Rittich is 1-1. Wasn't it you talking about small sample sizes?

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
In terms of Helly's work load, IMO he is at the point of his career and as one of the truly elite goalies in the NHL, you work with him on mapping out which games he plays. He likes to play a lot and Flats would have a real good handle on his work rest rhythms. Ideally this season we aren't in an all out battle at the playoff bubble that you have to ride Helly hard down the stretch and you can work in a little more rest time.

This. Last season was pretty wretched in that respect, DL riding a below-average Helle like a mule down the stretch with playoffs already in the rear view and Comrie putting up solid numbers and sitting. Just brutal, tone-deaf coaching.

Agree that if we're in the POs, we're relying on Helle to get us through rounds. Having him tired after a 65 game season is a recipe for an early exit, IMO, whether or not he wants to play every game.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Helle plays better when he plays a lot - until he doesn't. I think that is that he needs to play regularly with no long breaks but he can still become fatigued if overused.

If Rittich doesn't have the confidence of the coaching staff, he won't get used enough to really get a chance to prove it one way or another.

Comrie's recent results are disappointing. If his good play last year was just a blip then he won't be missed. Yes, Rittich had a good run boosting his career sv%. That was 6 years ago. He has only gone from bad to worse since. That is a very long time since he was last any good at all. It is the old might be bad (Comrie) vs known bad (Rittich) here. We are now the 4th team to hope he recaptures some of that better play.

Brossoit may not be the answer, or even a decent gamble on an answer. Maybe his injury has finished him, IDK. But I'm pretty sure Rittich is not it.

But it is ONLY the BU goalie so who cares. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Jet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn't make that argument when we signed Rittich. I thought he was a reasonable backup signing. In the relatively similar ballpark as LB and Comrie. For the most part people get too worked up about the backup. Take LB and Rittich, they are both 29 y/o and have identical career .905 SV%. Both have had inconsistent careers of better and worse seasons. Who knows how that coin flip lands this season. What we do know is LB costs almost 3 X as much, is coming off a serious injury and was absolutely horrible in his 2 starts in the AHL. To add to that you're not trading one for the other you would have both and have to pay both, and find a place for Rittich to play when you are trying to develop 2 young goalies on the Moose.

No, you didn't make that argument, but it was floated around here quite a bit.

LB has been up and down. That seems to be the pattern for BU goalies. Rittich has just been down year after year for quite a long time now.

LB cleared waivers so that is over. Doesn't make Rittich a good choice. I'm not the least bit concerned about finding a place for Holm.

Rittich is 1-1. Wasn't it you talking about small sample sizes?

We have the last 5 years of Rittich. A lot more than just 2 games.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No, you didn't make that argument, but it was floated around here quite a bit.

LB has been up and down. That seems to be the pattern for BU goalies. Rittich has just been down year after year for quite a long time now.

LB cleared waivers so that is over. Doesn't make Rittich a good choice. I'm not the least bit concerned about finding a place for Holm.

We have the last 5 years of Rittich. A lot more than just 2 games.

Comrie is now on his 7th season (with his 4th team by the way, considering you've brought the Jets being Rittich's 4th team) with career stats worse than Rittich.

I don't think arguing about backups with you is really worthwhile since you once told me the backup could be something like a 10 point swing in the standings, but I haven't seen anything egregious from Rittich this season (again, only 2 games) so I'm not worried. The team has played what seems like every 3rd day - the main guy is going to get those starts on any team.

Reactions: Pongs21

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Comrie is now on his 7th season (with his 4th team by the way, considering you've brought the Jets being Rittich's 4th team) with career stats worse than Rittich.

I don't think arguing about backups with you is really worthwhile since you once told me the backup could be something like a 10 point swing in the standings, but I haven't seen anything egregious from Rittich this season (again, only 2 games) so I'm not worried. The team has played what seems like every 3rd day - the main guy is going to get those starts on any team.

At the extreme, a BU could account for a 10 pt swing. 1 could go 10-15 and another could go 15-10.

There is a big difference between Comrie and Rittich. Comrie was good last year. Rittich was last good 6 years ago and has been seriously bad into his 3rd consecutive year now.

But I'm not arguing in favour of Comrie. That ship has sailed and he is showing pretty poorly lately. Still might recover this season, but given his career performance, it isn't likely. It also isn't likely that Rittich is a decent BU.

Of course the main guy is going to get all of our games so far, except for the 2 b2b's, given the schedule we have had and how early it is in the season. Just maybe Helle's .938 speaks to maintaining a somewhat light workload, which is what he has had so far this year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Of course the main guy is going to get all of our games so far, except for the 2 b2b's, given the schedule we have had and how early it is in the season. Just maybe Helle's .938 speaks to maintaining a somewhat light workload, which is what he has had so far this year.

But you've been talking about the coaching staff not trusting Rittich for more starts?

Reactions: Pongs21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad