Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't think the Jets have any interest in Brossoit, been there done that
I expect they like Brossoit quite a lot, just not at that cap hit. They'll ride Rittich when they need to, expect a game from him, likely in Seattle. Otherwise it's Vezinabuyck for 65 or so games.

Rittich makes me nervous as all get out. Comrie did the same. I think we sell these guys with limited use patterns short. I wouldn't want to rely on Rittich (or Comrie) as my number one or in the case of Helle getting injured (knocks on wood) but for the way the Jets use them, they are more than adequate. I mean is Rittich really any worse than Pavelec?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
What I can't believe is that the team continues to have success at that level despite really poor choices and the terrible way they treat their players and staff.

Just goes to show that location and winning overcome a lot in the eyes of a player.
Location location location means everything in hockey. Young millionaires love southern states.

Reactions: Jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I still cannot believe that the Golden Showers traded away Suzuki for Patches.
Probably In an attempt to win now. Patches was good for them but evidently older player who dealt with injuries and cap got to them. Similarly, trading Brannstrom+2nd for Mark Stone was an absolute coup.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's coming off a bad season, he's coming off an injury, and he carries a $2.3M cap hit.

I'm aware of all of that.
BTW, how can they waive a guy who is on IR? Thought they needed to take him off IR before moving him.

His bad season was better than Rittich has been so far for Jets. Waive Rittich, Bro adds 1.4 to our cap.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
BTW, how can they waive a guy who is on IR? Thought they needed to take him off IR before moving him.

His bad season was better than Rittich has been so far for Jets. Waive Rittich, Bro adds 1.4 to our cap.

Why? Helle will play 60 65 games easily

Why waste money on a backup goalie? If helle gets hurt? Sure i guess but he's playing 60 65 games if he's not.

Backup goalie is really the least of the concerns

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

Didn’t rittich steal us a game in Arizona?

First game was shaky.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Vintage Bros maybe worth consideration
Current Bros was letting too many pucks past him in most recent performance coming off injury
Mode point now as Bros cleared waivers

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't see it that way.
He prospered here before, backing up Helle. I think he can again. BU goalie is important.

So Rittich goes on waivers then, when he clears do the Jets carry 3 goalies? Do they send Rittich down? Holm and Salminen need time to play, so which of them sits?

That's the cascading effect. Brossoit costs like an extra $1.5m for minimal benefit.

Reactions: surixon and Jet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why? Helle will play 60 65 games easily

Why waste money on a backup goalie? If helle gets hurt? Sure i guess but he's playing 60 65 games if he's not.

Backup goalie is really the least of the concerns

Just for a start - because Helle shouldn't be playing 60-65 games.
But even if he plays 65, he doesn't play 17. If Bro could win 2-3 more of those 17 than Rittich can, he is easily worth the cost. But if he can play 25 games and be decent he is worth even more. Helle less used up by PO time.

Backup goalie is only a small concern when you have a good one. He can have a big influence on the outcomes of a quarter of your games. The influence can easily be disproportionate to the cost.

Reactions: angrymnky

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Didn’t rittich steal us a game in Arizona?

First game was shaky.

I wouldn't say Rittich stole the Ari game. Not even close. He stopped 19 of 21 shots. How is that a steal? He started shaky and almost gave the game away in the first. Then he settled down and allowed us to get back in and win in OT.

He was better than the first game.

So Rittich goes on waivers then, when he clears do the Jets carry 3 goalies? Do they send Rittich down? Holm and Salminen need time to play, so which of them sits?

That's the cascading effect. Brossoit costs like an extra $1.5m for minimal benefit.

Send him down. Holm can play in the ECHL. Or Moose can carry 3 goalies.
Its 1.4 mil and the benefit is unknown. It is a gamble on a decent benefit. A lot cheaper gamble than many I see taken in the NHL.

But he has cleared now, so not happening. I never thought it would.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This team doesn't need Brossoit and they aren't going to pay that kind of dough even with Vegas retaining some of it.

This team needs a solid backup. If not Bro, then someone else. Maybe Rittich manages to get the job done but he hasn't done anything to reassure me so far. Maybe Brossoit is past it. He might have had his peak with us a couple of years ago. Maybe injury has caught up to him. But he is only 29. Maybe he can rebound.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

He would also add $3,000,000 to the organizations bottom line as that is his base salary this season. Not sure Chipman/Chevy want to add $1.4 M towards the cap and $3 M out of team profits for approx similar back up goaltending. Also the problem of adding another goalie to the mix on the Moose where they are developing Salminen and Holms. My guess if Rittich struggles the first choice will be to give Salminen an opportunity to prove he can be the backup. If not there is likely someone you can pick up cheap at the TD.

Reactions: Jet and thereturn

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Doesn't matter who the back up is here this team wins and loses and makes the playoffs on the back of Helle, a back up that can give you as close to .500 is good enough and Rittich could be that.
I'm assuming .500 is winning percentage not SV% :laugh:. So far it looks like Rittich will give us enough in his 15-20 games that backup goaltending won't be an issue. As I mentioned a couple posts back I think the first option if he doesn't will be Salminen who was real good in Liiga last season and even better on the Moose this season.

Reactions: Jet and bustamente
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad