Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But you've been talking about the coaching staff not trusting Rittich for more starts?

I think I said 'IF'. Too soon to say whether they will or not. He hasn't done anything in game to encourage more confidence. I don't know about practice. IDK if practice will influence the coaching staff that much. But IF he is good in practice, they might give him more rope. In which case we might see enough to solidify our opinions, one way or the other.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
We had one in Pavelac
pav-beach.jpg

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I think that after that hit by McCabe he would never be the same player again

Based on the CBJ board Laine has been pretty decent this season defensively despite not putting up the points. Stats seem to back this up.

Interesting that CBJ fans have arrived at the same conclusion about Roslovic as Jets fans and Maurice (not an NHL Center, can't defend, too soft with no physicality). Guy could be a pretty decent middle-6 NHL winger, if he didn't insist on playing C and was willing to put some work improving his defensive game from "hot garbage" to just "mere average".

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Maurice era Panthers looking better than last year's Panthers in almost underlying metric except for win/loss record:

Screenshot from 2022-11-14 13-46-01.png

If Paul can get goaltending, watch out.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Laine's off season training is virtually non existent. He alway serms to brag about taking his mind off hockey. Not saying his injuries is due to that, but it would behoove him to train harder between seasons.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine's off season training is virtually non existent. He alway serms to brag about taking his mind off hockey. Not saying his injuries is due to that, but it would behoove him to train harder between seasons.
He trained in the offseason pretty hard but iirc it was the skating his group didn't do often. But please let's not open the Laine offseason training can of worms :laugh:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
is this through the same time period? can you show the PP stats by any chance? W/Ls do matter too.
No it was last season vs games thus far comparison. I should have said 5v5. Agreed W/L record matters and if the ship doesn't right soon claws will come out for him regardless of how good the 5v5 metrics go.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think that after that hit by McCabe he would never be the same player again
Just absolutely devastating. I don't blame McCabe but I think he robbed the NHL of a truly special player.

Laine was the whole package and became a shell after that.

I really can't believe we got Dubie for him.

I wonder if the org knew he was irreparably damaged and that played into us moving him

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Laine peaked in Winnipeg, I’ll say it, guy will never have goal seasons like he had I. Winnipeg ever!

He’s a big injury prone guy!
Winnipeg was such a good situation for him. He had Wheeler feeding him 1-timers on the PP with the threat of Scheifele to take attention away from him. He had Ehlers one of the best play driving wingers in the league playing with him at 5v5 and they genuinely tried to find a C for him every season.

Too bad he couldn't beat an aging Wheeler during the 19-20 season when he was given the opportunity (and yes he genuinely lost out to 26 not some Maurice favoritism). He should have been patient, he would have been the 1RW by default in a year or so anyway as 26 aged.

His agent and his sycophants in Finland like Pekka Jalonen did him a disservice trying to convince him that he was a better player than he was at that time. CBJ franchise has been his to take lead and run away with but it hasn't worked out.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Just absolutely devastating. I don't blame McCabe but I think he robbed the NHL of a truly special player.

Laine was the whole package and became a shell after that.

I really can't believe we got Dubie for him.

I wonder if the org knew he was irreparably damaged and that played into us moving him

Agree. It was a vicious hit, clean(ish) or not, and total overkill in terms of what was required for the play -- McCabe knew it, fans and teammates knew it, and Patty was never the same after. It came just as he was building his confidence and trying out new things, playing a more direct and even physical game and making some jaw-dropping plays pretty much every game. It really was "What will the kid do next?" territory for Laine, and it was a blast to watch as a fan after the lean years.

And then -- that effing hit. One of a handful I've seen in years of watching hockey and rugby and footy that still makes me wince when I replay it.

I seem to recall seeing McCabe getting drilled long after and -- and I hardly EVER do this -- and actually applauding. Man I hated seeing that one go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad