Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
wait you think he was mediocre in games 3-4? lol...

Okay, not so much game 3, I'll give you that. But contrary to the popular myth, it's not the saves you make (or don't make) when your team is trailing (you know.. "keeping them in the game") that are more important, it's the saves you make in a tied game. Letting in the first shot of the game is an absolute backbreaker, and gives each subsequent save significant 'garbage time' baggage. Combine that with a .903 save percentage? I'd call that a mediocre start for a goalie.

Point is, it's nowhere near the stratospheric high-rolling he was doing in the earlier rounds, I think we'd agree on that much.

Reactions: Stumbledore

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Okay, not so much game 3, I'll give you that. But contrary to the popular myth, it's not the saves you make (or don't make) when your team is trailing (you know.. "keeping them in the game") that are more important, it's the saves you make in a tied game. Letting in the first shot of the game is an absolute backbreaker, and gives each subsequent save significant 'garbage time' baggage. Combine that with a .903 save percentage? I'd call that a mediocre start for a goalie.

Point is, it's nowhere near the stratospheric high-rolling he was doing in the earlier rounds, I think we'd agree on that much.
he didn't let the first shot of the game in, it wasn't even the first chance he faced.. florida made a bad line change and stephenson got a break away hard to blame a goalie for that and he was the only reason it didn't get out of reach, I don't know how anyone could actually watch game 4 and come to the conclusion that he was mediocre... single game save percentages don't tell the whole story

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
he didn't let the first shot of the game in, it wasn't even the first chance he faced.. florida made a bad line change and stephenson got a break away hard to blame a goalie for that and he was the only reason it didn't get out of reach, I don't know how anyone could actually watch game 4 and come to the conclusion that he was mediocre... single game save percentages don't tell the whole story

55 seconds and it's not the first shot? Okay, my bad. It turns out it was the third shot on goal.

And a clean cut breakaway is still about a 2-1 underdog to go in; despite its dramatic appearance, it's far from the most dangerous of chances. I agree save percentage doesn't tell the whole story, that's why "got scored on a minute in" is a big part of it, on what is apparently the third shot on goal. 3 goals against, another part. On the other hand, he did finish 0.7 above goals expected, again with the caveat that a lot of them had 'garbage time' baggage.

So yeah, mediocre. I'm not using it to mean like 10th percentile here. Like in or around 50th percentile. A performance about on par with his actual talent level, again which is why I'm not faulting him for that game. Just an average goalie who's run out of miracles.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

... and without sarcasm, let me thank you for correcting me on Bobrovsky's performance and how I was in error with "first shot on goal". I do appreciate it.

Vegas is just better than Florida

If there is a more fundamentally and technically sound team in the league than Las Vegas, I'd love to hear who they are.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
... and without sarcasm, let me thank you for correcting me on Bobrovsky's performance and how I was in error with "first shot on goal". I do appreciate it.

If there is a more fundamentally and technically sound team in the league than Las Vegas, I'd love to hear who they are.

Just depth. So much depth

Not even superstar goaltending just depth

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Andlauer's bid is believed to be worth close to $1 billion USD...Andlauer currently owns a minority share of the Montreal Canadiens and is a member of the NHL’s board of governors. As a result of his successful bid, he will have to sell his 10 per cent share in the Canadiens.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
well I don't think teams care about not making announcements during the final anymore, even on game days we get the announcement of the ottawa sale and rangers just announced laviolette

Reactions: Stumbledore

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You have to wonder what 10 percent of a storied franchise is worth and what someone is willing to pay.

Pro Sport property (team) values continue to appreciate. I don’t see that ending any time soon but time will tell.

I think owning a franchise is a good idea from an asset appreciation perspective if you can afford to bankroll cash losses.

Nice he is getting in after the messy rebuild.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
well I don't think teams care about not making announcements during the final anymore, even on game days we get the announcement of the ottawa sale and rangers just announced laviolette
I wonder if that's just a natural evolution or a symptom of Bettman's iron grip starting to fade?

I'd comment on the focus on Miami today stealing much of the media's attention away from the possible awarding of the Stanley Cup tonight but that might be too much politics for this board.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sharp hired as special advisor to Hockey Ops by the Flyers.

Would love to see Little in some kind of advisory / ambassadorial role for the Jets. Would bring high-level pro experience, thoughtfulness and absolute class to an org that could use it at the moment.

"Flyers name Patrick Sharp Special Advisor to Hockey Operations">Flyers name Patrick Sharp Special Advisor to Hockey Operations</a></p>&mdash; Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) <a href="">June 13, 2023</a>

Wasn't he one of the guys listed as locker room poison? In Dallas I think?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So no news from Chevy just means it's still status quo on Donald St. The Sisyphean Option remains a possibility.

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I always thought a Sisyphus type like Chevy could use a coach like Atlas.

220px-MAN_Atlante_fronte_1040572.JPG

You know, durable and hardworking. But mosty durable.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

Yep.

Especially when this finals seems to have been going for a month now. I thought Vegas won their Cup last weekend.

Should have paid attention to the "#F@@kVega$" thread counters. Once those pop I'll know it's all over.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
“Everyone recognized this meant Vegas would claim Marchessault but leadership, as was their right, thought it was the best plan,” Werier added. “Could the willingness to expose him have been at all impacted by how he was acquired and the management changes that year? Probably. Regardless, having worked to bring in both players, and having seen them play so well for us, it was disappointing to see that play out.”

hope he gets the Conn Smythe
marchessault vindicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad