Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I just don't think people give enough appreciation to a guy like Kelly McCrimmon who in my mind has one of the best eyes for talent around. The guy ran Brandon for years and they were powerhouses despite being a team that has to travel the most and is generally avoided by top prospects. He knows how to exploit the rules to his benefit and he is doing the exact same thing here he did in Brandon

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Kinda shows you how poor the Pacific is tho that an expansion team comes in and basically owns the division since then.
Not really. Like I said, they were a team filled with 2nd/3rd liners, so while they didn’t start with star power, they were still deep relative to most teams. And they’ve since been able to acquire top end talent through their expansion draft manoeuvres and afterwards.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not really. Like I said, they were a team filled with 2nd/3rd liners, so while they didn’t start with star power, they were still deep relative to most teams. And they’ve since been able to acquire top end talent through their expansion draft manoeuvres and afterwards.

Yup, not only were they gifted depth but they were gifted a war chest of high end future assets by dumb gms. They have since parlayed most of that chest into elite now players like Echiel/Stone etc.

Reactions: snowkiddin

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I just don't think people give enough appreciation to a guy like Kelly McCrimmon who in my mind has one of the best eyes for talent around. The guy ran Brandon for years and they were powerhouses despite being a team that has to travel the most and is generally avoided by top prospects. He knows how to exploit the rules to his benefit and he is doing the exact same thing here he did in Brandon

Yep. Might have made an interesting on-the-rise GM for the Jets at one point.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
In retrospect, I guess paying extra for an expansion team filled with second liners isn’t a horrible way to start a franchise. So annoying that they’ll likely win a Cup already.
2nd liners might even be a stretch. maybe it was like 3-4 second liners and a bunch of bottom-6 guys based on their previous years output. that team on paper was projected terrible and expected to be in the doldrums of the league to start by many.

just looking back at how prolific that roster truly was to start - lineup to begin 17/18 w/ prevs years totals in brackets

Perron(46)-Eakin(12)-Neal(41)
Marchessault(51)-Lindberg(20)-Smith(37)
Leipsic(0)-Karlsson(25)-Haula(26)
Carrier(8)-Bellemare(8)-Nosek(1)

Tuch and Shipachov (lol) were not there to start.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Nobody in Florida gives a shit about the Panthers at the best of times, and considering the Heat are in the NBA finals most Floridians probably could care less about the SC Finals

Reactions: Team Bring It

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
2nd liners might even be a stretch. maybe it was like 3-4 second liners and a bunch of bottom-6 guys based on their previous years output. that team on paper was projected terrible and expected to be in the doldrums of the league to start by many.

just looking back at how prolific that roster truly was to start - lineup to begin 17/18 w/ prevs years totals in brackets

Perron(46)-Eakin(12)-Neal(41)
Marchessault(51)-Lindberg(20)-Smith(37)
Leipsic(0)-Karlsson(25)-Haula(26)
Carrier(8)-Bellemare(8)-Nosek(1)

Tuch and Shipachov (lol) were not there to start.

The thing is though they got if figured out pretty fast and it also shows how players sometimes just need to play up the line up.

That season the Leauge scoring was still a bit down and this was their top 6 Generated:

Karlsson 78 points
Marchessault 75 points
Perron. 66 points (in 70 games)
Smith. 60 points (in 67 games)
Haula. 55 points
Neil. 44 points

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The thing is though they got if figured out pretty fast and it also shows how players sometimes just need to play up the line up.

That season the Leauge scoring was still a bit down and this was their top 6 Generated:

Karlsson 78 points
Marchessault 75 points
Perron. 66 points (in 70 games)
Smith. 60 points (in 67 games)
Haula. 55 points
Neil. 44 points
Yeah I am aware. The chemistry for instance that marchessault-wild Bill-Smith displayed was impossible to predict.

no doubt the players played better than their career norms but I'd hardly consider them true 2nd liners when they were selected. When that team's roster was first announced, I'll say 99% of folks had them near bottom of the league

Reactions: Team Bring It

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I am aware. The chemistry for instance that marchessault-wild Bill-Smith displayed was impossible to predict.

no doubt the players played better than their career norms but I'd hardly consider them true 2nd liners when they were selected. When that team's roster was first announced, I'll say 99% of folks had them near bottom of the league

I agree with you I felt sorry for Vegas when I saw their team on paper and was shocked at their results. Shame on me I guess but I did get an education that was further bolstered by Seattle’s current results with a rag tag forward group too.

Perron was probably at a 2nd line level before Vegas and Marchessault had a productive season in Florida but they clearly saw him as expendable.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Checking in.
Is Maurice vindicated again or is Bob just Bob?
I want to know if I’m still allowed to like Maurice even though with us his record was mediocre.
I guess you may be allowed to study Strabo/Perrault/Brothers Grimm. :) The lending of Bob-centric plot elements and tropes to the current series will trigger a number of Dad joke moments, with relevance to glass slippers, pumpkin carriages containing time-restricted maidens. The connection to Maurice will be revealed.

monkey-badum-tss.gif

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I agree with you I felt sorry for Vegas when I saw their team on paper and was shocked at their results. Shame on me I guess but I did get an education that was further bolstered by Seattle’s current results with a rag tag forward group too.

Perron was probably at a 2nd line level before Vegas and Marchessault had a productive season in Florida but they clearly saw him as expendable.
Dale Tallon really hated the computer boys lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

They did a really good job weaponizing their cap space and expansion draft to acquire picks (11 picks in the top 3 rounds: 3 x 1sts, 6 x 2nds, 2 x 3rds) and they made a lot of solid expansion draft player deals and picks (Smith/Marchessault, Tuch, Theodore, Wild Bill, MAF).

And after that era, with all that draft pick and player capital, they've just continually swung for the fences - trading for Tatar (swing and a miss!), Pacioretty, Stone, Eichel.

What's Chevy's greatest trade acquisition in 12 seasons? Stastny at the deadline in 2018? Who's next? Tyler Myers? :laugh:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
They did a really good job weaponizing their cap space and expansion draft to acquire picks (11 picks in the top 3 rounds: 3 x 1sts, 6 x 2nds, 2 x 3rds) and they made a lot of solid expansion draft player deals and picks (Smith/Marchessault, Tuch, Theodore, Wild Bill, MAF).

And after that era, with all that draft pick and player capital, they've just continually swung for the fences - trading for Tatar (swing and a miss!), Pacioretty, Stone, Eichel.

What's Chevy's greatest trade acquisition in 12 seasons? Stastny at the deadline in 2018? Who's next? Tyler Myers? :laugh:
If you did a survey ... 99.9% of the players if they were given the choice would play in tax free warm weather Vegas than in Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad