Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
" The President of Hockey Operations " ... what exactly is that?
If the team does great you get the credit ... if the team does bad you fire the GM?

Fenway sports group owns the Pens and he is there man there so he makes decisions on how to spend and the direction they want to go in

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
They would be an interesting destination.

In terms of trade value?

To PIT: Hellebuyck
To WPG: 1st 2023 (#14 overall), Pickering

Also, the Pens seem like a good destination for one of the Jets' NHL-ready LHD (Heinola or Stanley), or for Dillon. The problem is that they have so few trade assets that would be of interest to the Jets.
Pretty sure Pickering is a LHD. Any trades (IMO) this summer involving PLD, Helle or Schief should involve young NHL ready centres and RHDs coming back

If anything, heinola and Stanley should be used as sweetners in those deals to maximize returns

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pretty sure Pickering is a LHD. Any trades (IMO) this summer involving PLD, Helle or Schief should involve young NHL ready centres and RHDs coming back

If anything, heinola and Stanley should be used as sweetners in those deals to maximize returns
Pickering is a LHD with a lot of potential, but younger than Heinola, Stanley, and Chisholm. He would slot into the lineup in 2 or 3 years, after Dillon and Schmidt are gone. So he fits the Jets' timeline and pipeline better than Heinola, Stanley, etc.

I'm expecting the Jets will trade Stanley and one of Heinola/Chisholm, which would create more room on LD in the prospect pipeline.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Pickering is a LHD with a lot of potential, but younger than Heinola, Stanley, and Chisholm. He would slot into the lineup in 2 or 3 years, after Dillon and Schmidt are gone. So he fits the Jets' timeline and pipeline better than Heinola, Stanley, etc.

I'm expecting the Jets will trade Stanley and one of Heinola/Chisholm, which would create more room on LD in the prospect pipeline.
I think Samberg has cemented himself in the top 4 on the left side for the foreseeable future. One of heinola or Stanley can take over the bottom pairing when Dillon's contract is done. The left side is set for years.

On the right side, Demelo has one year left on his deal and both Schmidt and pionk have 2. Chisholm is showing promise as someone who can maybe slot in on the 2nd or 3rd pair long term, but that's it

At centre, we could be looking g at Lowry and perfetti as our 1/2 if both schief and PLD are moved

I'm not against acquiring more LHD talent, but not until the right side and centre ice positions are solidified

Reactions: Flair Hay

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
" The President of Hockey Operations " ... what exactly is that?
If the team does great you get the credit ... if the team does bad you fire the GM?
I've always thought of the POHO as the vision guy, and the GM is left to handle the more day to day management duties. When you get right down to it, they have to work as a team and have views that mesh but also leave room for healthy debate.

Reactions: Duke749 and surixon

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
350468545_257658023508928_5068633669401576747_n.jpg

So that pretty much means F*** Vegas wins? :sarcasm:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
“Fans have been trying to buy customized Blackhawks No. 98 Bedard jerseys since the lottery. Some have apparently succeeded, but most people are being turned away, especially at the physical Blackhawks stores and on Fanatics’ website. If you try to make a Blackhawks Bedard No. 98 jersey on Fanatics, you receive this message: “We are unable to customize this item with the text you have entered. Please try a different entry.” The reason is the Blackhawks and the NHL can’t technically sell Bedard jerseys now because there isn’t a name, image and likeness contract in place. Unless you can prove your last name is Bedard and your favorite number is 98, you’ll probably have to wait until the Blackhawks actually draft him.”

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've always thought of the POHO as the vision guy, and the GM is left to handle the more day to day management duties. When you get right down to it, they have to work as a team and have views that mesh but also leave room for healthy debate.

Yeah POHO handles a lot of the business side of things like marketing, ticket operations, food and bevs, fan events, day to day business operations. Generally the non-player staff at all levels will report to the POHO. They are also the main line of communication between the ownership and the rest of the non-player staff,

While the GM is more focused on player operations. Handling trades, signings, player movement between leagues and general player issues and concerns. They are also more hands on with the scouting and player staff.

Generally the POHO is all about the long term financial vision of the organization and the GM is about the long term on ice team vision.

I think an organization works best when these roles are enforced and the POHO isn't micromanaging the GM as that can lead to a situation of why even have separate roles at all anyways?

For example in most organizations like the Leafs the POHO has final say. Shanahan got the final say on anything Dubas was doing, in pretty much all markets with a POHO and a GM this is true but most POHO's will generally let their GM do their thing and only step in when it could lead to some financial issues. Shanahan was stepping in on Trades, signings, roster decisions, where Dubas could go #2. Likely why Dubas was negotiating for a larger piece of the pie. It's hard to build a team when you have someone standing over your shoulder saying "No," at every turn.

Some markets like the Jets will roll the POHO and GM into a single role. I find this is a more streamlined way to run a hockey team. One vision for better or worse but it also puts a lot more on the plate of the GM as they need to run the day-to-day business and team side of things. It works in smaller markets better as they likely have a lot less non-player staff to manage.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Unless you can prove your last name is Bedard and your favorite number is 98,”

All someone needs to do is legally change their last name to Bedard, and get forged ID stating they were born in 1998 :nod: :sarcasm:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah POHO handles a lot of the business side of things like marketing, ticket operations, food and bevs, fan events, day to day business operations. Generally the non-player staff at all levels will report to the POHO. They are also the main line of communication between the ownership and the rest of the non-player staff,

While the GM is more focused on player operations. Handling trades, signings, player movement between leagues and general player issues and concerns. They are also more hands on with the scouting and player staff.

Generally the POHO is all about the long term financial vision of the organization and the GM is about the long term on ice team vision.

I think an organization works best when these roles are enforced and the POHO isn't micromanaging the GM as that can lead to a situation of why even have separate roles at all anyways?

For example in most organizations like the Leafs the POHO has final say. Shanahan got the final say on anything Dubas was doing, in pretty much all markets with a POHO and a GM this is true but most POHO's will generally let their GM do their thing and only step in when it could lead to some financial issues. Shanahan was stepping in on Trades, signings, roster decisions, where Dubas could go #2. Likely why Dubas was negotiating for a larger piece of the pie. It's hard to build a team when you have someone standing over your shoulder saying "No," at every turn.

Some markets like the Jets will roll the POHO and GM into a single role. I find this is a more streamlined way to run a hockey team. One vision for better or worse but it also puts a lot more on the plate of the GM as they need to run the day-to-day business and team side of things. It works in smaller markets better as they likely have a lot less non-player staff to manage.
This is really insightful for dummies like me, thank you.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Babcock to Columbus.

I wonder how he'll mesh with Laine.

Even though Gaudreau denies it I have to wonder how much Sutter's influence lead to him wanting out of there as well. We know it at least had some effect on Tkachuk wanting out.

The days of guys like Babcock, Sutter and Torts are dying out. And really it's not even like this is a new thing. We have heard from plenty of former players about the way these kinds of coaches operate and how it has a negative effect on them, despite having some on ice success because of it.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
In case anyone forgot the Stanley Cup finals begin tonight, I don't understand the NHL drawing this out longer than it has to be, finals should be over by the end of May.
I remember when the NHL finals finished, the NBA finals would begin. This year, the NHL finals will probably finish a few days after the NBA finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad