Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So what do you guys think of Trevling as a GM? I think he is pretty awful. Bungled Tkachuk when he could have had him on a nice long term deal earlier then traded him for 2 players and signed one of them to a massive long term deal that will haunt them forever. Gave Kadri gobs of money as well. Gave Mangiapane a short team deal to UFA. Left them a lot of issues to resolve with Backlund,Lindstrom,Hanifin,Toffli and Tanev as UFAs in 1 year.

I think he had a couple of really good draft years in 2015/16 and not a lot to show for it after.

Be interesting to see what he does in Toronto
Took a quick look at his trade history... didn't realize he drafted Adin Hill

Think he's the wrong guy for Toronto... he never found a goalie for the Flames and gave up a lot of quality guys chasing a goalie - he'll do the same in TO

I 100% expect Marner to be traded at the draft

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Took a quick look at his trade history... didn't realize he drafted Adin Hill

Think he's the wrong guy for Toronto... he never found a goalie for the Flames and gave up a lot of quality guys chasing a goalie - he'll do the same in TO

I 100% expect Marner to be traded at the draft

Markstrom is a good goalie who had a bad season last year.

I think Toronto wanted experience after going with a new GM last time around, one that they think can handle the pressures of the media. Dubas' press conference sunk him and it was the "it was hard on me and my family" stuff.

I don't know enough about him to say if he's the right guy or not. We'll have to see how much autonomy he has first.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
So what do you guys think of Trevling as a GM? I think he is pretty awful. Bungled Tkachuk when he could have had him on a nice long term deal earlier then traded him for 2 players and signed one of them to a massive long term deal that will haunt them forever. Gave Kadri gobs of money as well. Gave Mangiapane a short team deal to UFA. Left them a lot of issues to resolve with Backlund,Lindstrom,Hanifin,Toffli and Tanev as UFAs in 1 year.

I think he had a couple of really good draft years in 2015/16 and not a lot to show for it after.

Be interesting to see what he does in Toronto

I’m not a fan of his. Just seemed to spin his wheels in Calgary and tried doing too much. And in doing so made a bit of a mess of things.

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
I’m not a fan of his. Just seemed to spin his wheels in Calgary and tried doing too much. And in doing so made a bit of a mess of things.

He was the establishment choice, I expect. One of those guys who to the outside fan seems like he's made enough bad moves to hire with caution but who is often said to be "highly respected" within NHL circles and has been around long enough to be regarded as a safe pair of hands without wearing the dinosaur label.

I expect him to hire his own coach and move for a goalie, either of which might provide enough of a bounce to carry him on for a few years while trying to sort out the Core Four.

Better than Dubas? Who knows. At least there's change, hope, things to talk about, grist for the hockey media through the silly season.

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I doubt that Treliving is as good as Dubas is (the four core horror notwithstanding :laugh:). As is pointed out above, his record with Calgary is up and down. Not a great GM in my humble opinion.

If the Leafs had run with Eric Tulsky, then I would have sat up and taken notice.

Last edited:
Reactions: RabidOne

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
350468545_257658023508928_5068633669401576747_n.jpg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wonder if Dubas makes a move for Helly. There has been rumors Pittsburgh is interested in him
They would be an interesting destination.

In terms of trade value?

To PIT: Hellebuyck
To WPG: 1st 2023 (#14 overall), Pickering

Also, the Pens seem like a good destination for one of the Jets' NHL-ready LHD (Heinola or Stanley), or for Dillon. The problem is that they have so few trade assets that would be of interest to the Jets.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Technically he was hired as the President of Hockey Operations... so does this mean he is also the GM or will they be hiring a GM?

Explains why he had to leave Toronto... he was after Shanny's job.
I edited my original post, wow you guys are fast.

And yes, Interesting thoughts!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Technically he was hired as the President of Hockey Operations... so does this mean he is also the GM or will they be hiring a GM?

Yeah I think it's clear now Dubois wanted complete control of the Leafs hockey opps to stay.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

He's not the GM, they'll be hiring one. He's in the Shanahan role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad