Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Never thought I’d see people fighting for their lives defending the Matthews contract in the Jets forum but here we are :laugh:

It's just an example of the trend in the NHL seeming to move towards shorter contracts in the RFA period. He was the first major profile player to do it, but Dubois is doing it, Copp, Trouba - all short termed their way to UFA, and I think it was Chris Johnston who said Marner and Nylander had wished they'd done the same.

Also the discourse around the Leafs just goes sideways sometimes. Some people can't be objective when the player has a blue maple leaf on their jersey.

Reactions: Team Bring It

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's just an example of the trend in the NHL seeming to move towards shorter contracts in the RFA period. He was the first major profile player to do it, but Dubois is doing it, Copp, Trouba - all short termed their way to UFA, and I think it was Chris Johnston who said Marner and Nylander had wished they'd done the same.

Also the discourse around the Leafs just goes sideways sometimes. Some people can't be objective when the player has a blue maple leaf on their jersey.

I mean they also didn't start the trend. Crosby did back on his second contract. Stamkos also signed for 5 years on his second deal. Mathews just followed along.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think it’s just business. Leafs = ratings because they are either the baby face or the heel and both those draw money.
Also, Leafs=ratings because the GTA is almost 6 million as of the 2016 census, probably upwards of 7 million, The "Golden Horseshoe" area has over 25% of Canada's total population and one NHL team in that area (granted not everyone there is a Leafs fan, but I'm sure a lot are), so ... ratings.

Also, considering how much they are talked about around here, lots of people love to hate the Leafs too. So again, ratings.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Also, Leafs=ratings because the GTA is almost 6 million as of the 2016 census, probably upwards of 7 million, The "Golden Horseshoe" area has over 25% of Canada's total population and one NHL team in that area (granted not everyone there is a Leafs fan, but I'm sure a lot are), so ... ratings.

Also, considering how much they are talked about around here, lots of people love to hate the Leafs too. So again, ratings.

Yup they are the big, bright shinny object (market), and whether you love em or hate em both positions draw money.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Matthews contract (and Marner contract for that matter) is objectively terrible. No one can defend that. You walk a guy right to UFA, buying only 1 UFA year but then also pay him like a UFA on his RFA contract? Ridiculous.

The entire point of the RFA system is to gain cap efficiency (or atleast that's how most teams in the NHL treat it), either by extracting term from a player well into their prime UFA years or extract short term cap savings, when you do neither that's a failure.

When Tampa signs a player short term, they always extract significant cap savings (Kucherov, Pointe, Sergachev), when Oilers paid Draisaitl for what looked like an overpay, they bought significant UFA years. If you are not doing atleast one of these things with your RFA contracts you are not putting yourself in a position to win in the cap era.

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'll watch Dallas vs Florida

I won't watch Vegas vs Florida

Part of that is I don't care who wins if they Jets aren't involved but, I'll be honest here, I'll cheer for the central team over the Pacific one every time in the conference finals.

I like Heiskanen I like junior Joe, I like hintz.. Robertson. Wyatt Johnston.

All very likeable people

Vegas? I don't like most their players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad