Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
So idk if any y’all caught the post game interview with Tkachuk on TNT. But guy pretty much credited everyone else for where they’re at and how successful they’ve been. He also praised Barkov immensely for his play and leadership. Just thought it was interesting how selfless he came across in the interview.

Also, love the panel personally they have. Gretzky and Lundqvist are nice to hear.

And to think everyone was terrified we would draft him

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Controversial confession: the Golden Knights are my favorite team to watch. They have such a dynamic attack, overwhelm teams with their speed and skill, and play with defensive integrity up and down the line-up. Their captain is the best Winnipegger in the game and they have 3 other solid Manitobans in depth roles. Plus they've managed to be in win-now mode for like 6 years without yet burning out.

I get that they beat us twice in the playoffs, signed Stastny under our noses, and have allegedly tampered with some trades we tried to make. But damn, I have a hard time hating their style of play and respect their success immensely.

Are there other Jets fans that think this or am I taking crazy pills?! :laugh:

Crazy pills

f*** vegas ……….

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Controversial confession: the Golden Knights are my favorite team to watch. They have such a dynamic attack, overwhelm teams with their speed and skill, and play with defensive integrity up and down the line-up. Their captain is the best Winnipegger in the game and they have 3 other solid Manitobans in depth roles. Plus they've managed to be in win-now mode for like 6 years without yet burning out.

I get that they beat us twice in the playoffs, signed Stastny under our noses, and have allegedly tampered with some trades we tried to make. But damn, I have a hard time hating their style of play and respect their success immensely.

Are there other Jets fans that think this or am I taking crazy pills?! :laugh:
Nope you are crazy. They cheat, they tamper and they cheat. As for Mark Stone? F him. Manitoba kid that doesnt want to play for his home town team? F him and the horse he road off on. Oh and F*ck Vegas. 25 million more in salary than the Jets in the series between us and them?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I definitely don't like two non-hockey southern markets being in the series (and agree it's Bettman's wet dream) ... but I can't help but like this iteration of the Panthers, their style of play, and Maurice possible getting a Cup. Always liked Maurice and thought he was a good coach; now that we're on coach #3 with this core and same gutlessness and quitting I think we now know it's the players not the coach that's the issue in Winnipeg.
Funny thing, year's ago I went to Fort Lauderdale (long time ago, year after Detroit won it's most recent cup). Couldn't get the bars to put on a game between Panthers-Wings, had to watch wrestling and women's college basketball instead. Subsequently went to the mall across from the arena - there was exactly one piece of Panthers paraphenalia in all the sports stores, on clearance. It cemented my mind on the actual market for the most part.

But that said I don't begrudge Florida anything in this series because they are fighting hard and playing well. They're doing the classic "goalie-ing" of other teams we've seen frequently in the past so if they win, it won't bother me at all. The market is secondary IMO. I don't think Florida is a great market - hell we're getting threatened with moving the team for only having 10K+ STH. Did Florida have attendance of 10K once (honestly, not league stats) this season? But it's how they play, at or below the cap.

Bettman may love it, but viewership will be terrible. Probably more Canadians watching the series than Floridians when it comes down to it.

I definitely struggle with Vegas in large part because I remember when the Jets entered the league and what happened to our team at that time - utterly unrelated to Bettman. Jets were gutted. Vegas and subsequently Seattle had a very, very different approach - they had an entry draft to select players. No true stars acquired of course, but good balance was found by both teams. When you couple that with the league allowing the over-cap issues that Vegas is exploiting it's feels gross, for lack of a better word. It's patently obvious that teams are circumventing the cap and the league doesn't care. If any Canadian team outside of Toronto were to do that the league would clamp down so quickly our heads would spin.

Didn't like it when Tampa did it. Not going to like it when any other team does it. The Vegas over cap issue is just the latest iteration.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Funny thing, year's ago I went to Fort Lauderdale (long time ago, year after Detroit won it's most recent cup). Couldn't get the bars to put on a game between Panthers-Wings, had to watch wrestling and women's college basketball instead. Subsequently went to the mall across from the arena - there was exactly one piece of Panthers paraphenalia in all the sports stores, on clearance. It cemented my mind on the actual market for the most part.

But that said I don't begrudge Florida anything in this series because they are fighting hard and playing well. They're doing the classic "goalie-ing" of other teams we've seen frequently in the past so if they win, it won't bother me at all. The market is secondary IMO. I don't think Florida is a great market - hell we're getting threatened with moving the team for only having 10K+ STH. Did Florida have attendance of 10K once (honestly, not league stats) this season? But it's how they play, at or below the cap.

Bettman may love it, but viewership will be terrible. Probably more Canadians watching the series than Floridians when it comes down to it.

I definitely struggle with Vegas in large part because I remember when the Jets entered the league and what happened to our team at that time - utterly unrelated to Bettman. Jets were gutted. Vegas and subsequently Seattle had a very, very different approach - they had an entry draft to select players. No true stars acquired of course, but good balance was found by both teams. When you couple that with the league allowing the over-cap issues that Vegas is exploiting it's feels gross, for lack of a better word. It's patently obvious that teams are circumventing the cap and the league doesn't care. If any Canadian team outside of Toronto were to do that the league would clamp down so quickly our heads would spin.

Didn't like it when Tampa did it. Not going to like it when any other team does it. The Vegas over cap issue is just the latest iteration.
Then multiple Canadian teams need to utilize this loophole at once if only to put an end to it once and for all. Apparently if you’re not cheating then you’re not even trying. If suddenly 5-6 teams throughout the league were several millions over the cap maybe Sh!t would finally hit the fan and uncle Gary would put an end to it.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Who's to say Tkachuk sticks it out with us had we taken him. He really didn't blossom until last year. A year prior to being snle to arb his way out of Calgary.
Imagine in a different timeline we got the 2016 6th pick, took Tkachuk and had to trade him to Florida and one thing leading to another all of a sudden having Johnanthan Huberdeau on the payroll for 10.5m a year until 2030......o_O

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Back to Dallas, Florida be like

raccoon-evil-smile.gif

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm pulling for the Panthers, and I think they are a team of destiny this year, with Tkachuk emerging as a real leader. Also be nice to see Maurice win a Cup, as he's more than paid his dues in this league.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So wait, you can be down 0-3 facing elimination, lose your CaptaIn because of a silly bone headed play, and still fight to win, kick, claw, scratch, and play desperately?? Love watching a team compete this hard. Last nights game was one of my favorites in the playoffs as far as intensity by both teams.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Another example of the damage that Dubas did to the league with the Matthews contract.

I think Matthews started a trend which, while I think it makes Winnipeg's and markets similar to Winnipeg's jobs tougher, is pretty pro player, which is to maximize the years that the player has the most control over.

If Dubas had wanted to sign him for longer than 5 years it would've cost even more money than 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad