Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is why I brought it up in the first place. I'm not worried about losing the eighth defenseman on the depth chart; I'm worried about what it says about the Jets' ability to develop their players. Kovacevic was buried here, and is seemingly flourishing in Montreal. We have Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm, and Stanley all capable of playing NHL minutes, with only one open spot. No one is getting a chance while the incumbents are healthy and playing for the Jets. _That_ is my issue. Making this to be about Kovacevic is missing the forest for the trees.
Ahhh, the old 'never be happy' argument.

Chevy picks up legitimate NHLers and people complain we're wasting our prospects (who generally end up being replacement level at best)

Chevy doesn't pick up legitimate NHLers and people bitch he did nothing.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ahhh, the old 'never be happy' argument.

Chevy picks up legitimate NHLers and people complain we're wasting our prospects (who generally end up being replacement level at best)

Chevy doesn't pick up legitimate NHLers and people bitch he did nothing.

How did you get "never be happy" out of that? Is it too much to ask for grapes to be harvested before they die on the vine? Cheveldayoff talks about getting players with term all the time in hockey trades. That's what I'm asking for here. The Jets need a decent middle 6 F, and have a glut of D on the back end. They can afford to trade one of their 5 2-5 D to open up a spot for one of the 4 D capable of playing NHL minutes, while also bolstering their forward core some. I thought I was being reasonable in that post, but all you pulled was "never be happy" out of it.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How did you get "never be happy" out of that? Is it too much to ask for grapes to be harvested before they die on the vine? Cheveldayoff talks about getting players with term all the time in hockey trades. That's what I'm asking for here. The Jets need a decent middle 6 F, and have a glut of D on the back end. They can afford to trade one of their 5 2-5 D to open up a spot for one of the 4 D capable of playing NHL minutes, while also bolstering their forward core some. I thought I was being reasonable in that post, but all you pulled was "never be happy" out of it.
It wasn't directly pointed at you, just a general observation about this forum. If your Kovacevics age and haven't played in the nhl, there's a reason. I'm happy for him but I'm fairly certain his play is not sustainable, and if it is, he's an outlier.

The number of prospects the Jets have wasted is extremely low. I think the Jets are actually better at developing players than many other teams

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It wasn't directly pointed at you, just a general observation about this forum. If your Kovacevics age and haven't played in the nhl, there's a reason. I'm happy for him but I'm fairly certain his play is not sustainable, and if it is, he's an outlier.

The number of prospects the Jets have wasted is extremely low. I think the Jets are actually better at developing players than many other teams

They haven't had many players to develop the last couple of seasons when they were chasing 2018 dreams. I'm concerned that the Jets haven't pulled a home run out of the draft since 2015. 2016 was Laine and Stanley, 2017 was... *looks it up* Gods, I forgot about K.Ves. Yeah. That. At least the Moose are full of developing Jets prospects. Hope they can pull a couple of home runs out of what they have right now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They haven't had many players to develop the last couple of seasons when they were chasing 2018 dreams. I'm concerned that the Jets haven't pulled a home run out of the draft since 2015. 2016 was Laine and Stanley, 2017 was... *looks it up* Gods, I forgot about K.Ves. Yeah. That. At least the Moose are full of developing Jets prospects. Hope they can pull a couple of home runs out of what they have right now.

Perfetti is looking real good so far at 20.

Gus looks like a solid bottom 6 player in the Copp type mold.

As it stands it looks like we should graduate 4 prospects this year if you include Barron and Samberg. Sure only one looks to be a top of roster talent but this org has also been devoid of good and cheap depth and we look to be filling some of those spots this year.

What we need is an elite young dmen or for Chevy to go out and somehow get a top pairing RD.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Perfetti is looking real good so far at 20.

Gus looks like a solid bottom 6 player in the Copp type mold.

As it stands it looks like we should graduate 4 prospects this year if you include Barron and Samberg. Sure only one looks to be a top of roster talent but this org has also been devoid of good and cheap depth and we look to be filling some of those spots this year.

What we need is an elite young dmen or for Chevy to go out and somehow get a top pairing RD.

I'm loving Fetts. He's exactly where he needs to be, and he's showing some good 2-way chops. I'm hoping that he learns how to drive up the ice better than being a complimentary component on a line (PLD and Fefe are the drivers here), but at least he's not a defensive albatross.

I'm incredibly high on Gus, as his floor is exactly where he is right now. There's a legitimate argument that he can be better than Copp, and I'm here for that all day. I'm not sure he'll be what I saw someone on Twitter say (PLD replacement), but I've got time for that argument.

Barron isn't moving the needle much for me. He's not hurting the team, but he at least doesn't look out of place on the 3rd line. Would like to see more out of him. Only time will tell if that comes. What the Jets desperately need is a home run on D. I'm not kidding when I say that's their biggest failing, and the crux of my criticism with their player development. It's easier to develop forwards than it is D, by virtue of there being more roster spots available. They haven't hit on one in almost 10 years. That's a long time.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Leaf land must be pretty explosive today

I've studied the board, and based on the input from that lot, this is my assessment:

Stephen Dangle will be fired.

Dubas will suffer a quiet lateral shuffle to a Domo pump job in Teulon, MB where he can focus on his chess game between Monster Energy and Doritos at elevenses.

Marner will have the demonic pentangle tattoo removed from his chest and then traded to Arizona for somewhat less than what the market will bear.

Sheldon Keefe is reputedly looking at a juicy-assed offer from the Sault St. Marie (Soo) greyhounds.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Erik Gudbranson with -14 cumulative Gamescore, good for worst in the league among all skaters.
Among defensemen with minimum 100mins played this season (all 5v5) from NaturalStatTrick
3rd worst CF%
2nd worst FF%
1st worst xGA
4th worst xGF%

They lost Bjorkstrand because of that contract :laugh:
it's funny till you realize....

1667226984435.png

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm loving Fetts. He's exactly where he needs to be, and he's showing some good 2-way chops. I'm hoping that he learns how to drive up the ice better than being a complimentary component on a line (PLD and Fefe are the drivers here), but at least he's not a defensive albatross.

I'm incredibly high on Gus, as his floor is exactly where he is right now. There's a legitimate argument that he can be better than Copp, and I'm here for that all day. I'm not sure he'll be what I saw someone on Twitter say (PLD replacement), but I've got time for that argument.

Barron isn't moving the needle much for me. He's not hurting the team, but he at least doesn't look out of place on the 3rd line. Would like to see more out of him. Only time will tell if that comes. What the Jets desperately need is a home run on D. I'm not kidding when I say that's their biggest failing, and the crux of my criticism with their player development. It's easier to develop forwards than it is D, by virtue of there being more roster spots available. They haven't hit on one in almost 10 years. That's a long time.

Well Perfetti has driven play at an elite rate every level he's played at so I expect as he gets comfortable at the NHL level and gets stronger and quicker we will start to see that as well.

I agree completely with regards to the defensive development. They have integrated a good 12 plus forwards successfully but only 3 dmen in 11 years. They don't seem to have a good plan for our good young dmen. Honestly how much worse would we be playing Heinola over a Schmidt the last few seasons.

it's funny till you realize....

View attachment 601297

Pionk has dragged down whoever he's played with the last two years now. JoMo was over 50 XGF before being pairied with Pionk. The sooner that the org realizes Neal is a liability and moves him out the better.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Pionk has dragged down whoever he's played with the last two years now. JoMo was over 50 XGF before being pairied with Pionk. The sooner that the org realizes Neal is a liability and moves him out the better.

That thing that gets me the most is how the Jets have only one person that can carry a pairing, and 5 people that can't. You at least need your partners to be better than the sum of their parts, but we haven't seen that with anyone outside of whomever plays with DeMelo. That's troubling. Schmidt and Pionk are basically the same player. One has to go. >_>

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That thing that gets me the most is how the Jets have only one person that can carry a pairing, and 5 people that can't. You at least need your partners to be better than the sum of their parts, but we haven't seen that with anyone outside of whomever plays with DeMelo. That's troubling. Schmidt and Pionk are basically the same player. One has to go. >_>

Dillion/JoMo - Schmidt have both been functional pairings as well. But yes we have a major issue with our dmen not being compatible or good enough to adapt to different partners.

JoMo DeMelo
Dillion Schmidt

Is what should happen in the top 4. On the third pairing we then need to find something that works.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Schmidt at 6 million a season would be my pick to move.

Reactions: sipowicz

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
At least were not the Leafs. Stole this from some time jet friend Rabid Ranger

* Top heavy
* Not a lot of depth
* Middling defense
* Suspect goaltending
* Nerd GM
* Clueless coach

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
demelo had a bit of a rough start to the year. unless his def. positioning + stick skills went to complete shit in the off-season, i expect him to bounce back , & think he has a bit. him and morrissey worked well in years passed, but again, at least the start was a bit rougher.

i agree that pionk should be dealt. the goal-scoring was nice in that 2 games, but a better defensive game would be more sustainable than that scoring barrage.

1667228768097.png

even w/ demelo struggling a bit still think they rate better defensively. smaller samples so 1-2 games could skew it in either direction. our fwds need to do a better job though as well in creating chances for.... but how can you when the top-pair is terrible moving the puck out the zone?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the leafs last year started 4-4-2 with a -8 goal differential in october. finished off with 115 pts.

they're at 4-4-1 with a -3.

i dont expect them to be at 115 pts again, not many team repeat 110+ years back to back (TBL 17-18/18-19 and WSH 15-16/16-17 are the only teams to do it since 2011). but i think that's still a good enough group of players to be high 90s/low 100s in pts. Keefe has a 0.670 pts% through nearly 200 games coached so even with large % of their cap in a a few fwds they seem to find a way to ice a competitive team.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
the leafs last year started 4-4-2 with a -8 goal differential in october. finished off with 115 pts.

they're at 4-4-1 with a -3.

i dont expect them to be at 115 pts again, not many team repeat 110+ years back to back (TBL 17-18/18-19 and WSH 15-16/16-17 are the only teams to do it since 2011). but i think that's still a good enough group of players to be high 90s/low 100s in pts. Keefe has a 0.670 pts% through nearly 200 games coached so even with large % of their cap in a a few fwds they seem to find a way to ice a competitive team.
Are you saying its too small a sample size? Kinda like the Canucks freaking out after 5 or 6 games?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Are you saying its too small a sample size? Kinda like the Canucks freaking out after 5 or 6 games?
Yeah. Similar reason with a 5-3-1 start here im still tempering season long expectations or predictions a bit. Still lots of season left.

given how that team has usually performs under Keefe, even with yearly cap constraints, I think they'll turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad