Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
1666913610951.png

1666913638664.png

Really is too bad that the Jets couldn't have found a way to get Kovacevic into the roster sooner. Instead, we're watching him seemingly flourish on a _very_ rebuilding Habs team. Would he be anything other than a bottom pair D for the Jets? Would he have supplanted any of the incumbents? Just another casual misstep by the organisation.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
View attachment 599617
View attachment 599618

Really is too bad that the Jets couldn't have found a way to get Kovacevic into the roster sooner. Instead, we're watching him seemingly flourish on a _very_ rebuilding Habs team. Would he be anything other than a bottom pair D for the Jets? Would he have supplanted any of the incumbents? Just another casual misstep by the organisation.
Lol after 7 games. This place is a riot.

Reactions: djc and gojetsgo

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
View attachment 599617
View attachment 599618

I wouldn't say he's flourishing. He's doing well enough but he wouldn't have supplanted DeMelo, Schmidt or Pionk on this team and Winnipeg has different goals than Montreal does this season.

It's been 7 games. I still think he's back here on the Moose to finish the season when Montreal decides to bring Justin Barron up. Or, maybe another bottom end NHL team that needs to put 18 skaters on the ice.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I find it funny because the player that is second on the list was traded with a 1st round pick just to get rid of his contract, it really should have told him to wait off until we get a larger sample size

Reactions: Jet

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Did you see his play in the AHL? Pretty good there. The point was that the Jets never found a way to see if they had anything in him. Instead, they traded for defensemen, overpaid them, and waived someone that could have helped had they let him. Name the last significant NHL player the Jets have drafted and developed to play on their own team.

I wouldn't say he's flourishing. He's doing well enough but he wouldn't have supplanted DeMelo, Schmidt or Pionk on this team and Winnipeg has different goals than Montreal does this season.

It's been 7 games. I still think he's back here on the Moose to finish the season when Montreal decides to bring Justin Barron up. Or, maybe another bottom end NHL team that needs to put 18 skaters on the ice.

He wouldn't have supplanted them because they're all making _far_ more money than he is. He was AHL bound regardless of his performance.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
View attachment 599617
View attachment 599618

I mean the role he's playing for them is the exact same role DeMelo/Stanley/Samberg is playing for us. DeMelo has a long track record of doing that role exceptionally well. If you want to talk small sample sizes Stanley has equally as impressive underlying numbers as Kovacevik in the same role. Samberg has only played one game but looked good doing it. The other dmen on the team are all being counted on to provide puck moving and offense (not his forte).

I'm happy to see him get a chance to see if he can carve out an NHL career but the role he'd have played here is well covered.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think the idea is Kovacevic has looked pretty decent in his brief tenure in the NHL so far, and we never found a way to integrate him. However, no reason to play him over DeMelo so I can understand us not giving him a real shot.

I’m not too miffed that he’s gone. I’m surprised he even got claimed and I think Montreal will eventually try to send him back down and he ends up on the Moose a la Dano and Comrie in years past.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 599617
View attachment 599618

Perhaps if they had not traded for Schmidt they could've run with demelo, Pionk and Kova on the right side. However with Schmidt here you have three vets +high cap hits tied into RD. And he wasn't gonna usurp any of them.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Perhaps if they had not traded for Schmidt they could've run with demelo, Pionk and Kova on the right side. However with Schmidt here you have three vets +high cap hits tied into RD. And he wasn't gonna usurp any of them.

I was in favour of them trading for one defenseman after 2019. Get somebody to shore up the middle pairing. They traded for two of them, and now they can't get rid of one of them. The value isn't there. Just another self-inflicted wound. Reminds me of when they signed Mason in the offseason to be the starting goaltender, because they didn't trust Hellebuyck.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I was in favour of them trading for one defenseman after 2019. Get somebody to shore up the middle pairing. They traded for two of them, and now they can't get rid of one of them. The value isn't there. Just another self-inflicted wound. Reminds me of when they signed Mason in the offseason to be the starting goaltender, because they didn't trust Hellebuyck.
i think everyone was? Enstrom called it a career after his contract ended in 2018. Myers and Chiarot were FAs end the end of 19 and then subtract buff. yes, it need to grab good players earlier via trade/fa/ or internal prospects

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mean the role he's playing for them is the exact same role DeMelo/Stanley/Samberg is playing for us. DeMelo has a long track record of doing that role exceptionally well. If you want to talk small sample sizes Stanley has equally as impressive underlying numbers as Kovacevik in the same role. Samberg has only played one game but looked good doing it. The other dmen on the team are all being counted on to provide puck moving and offense (not his forte).

I'm happy to see him get a chance to see if he can carve out an NHL career but the role he'd have played here is well covered.

The role he would have played here is not well covered. That role would have been that of a Dman with size - and bite - who can play defense. We don't have a lot of that, especially on the right side.

He could have provided the D on a pair with Heinola. Schmidt can't do that. If he would have been given the full year last year, instead of acquiring Schmidt, he would probably have been ready for that role this year.

It is a drum you beat quite a lot yourself. Integrating our own prospects gradually when they are ready so that they can get over their rookieness. Taking advantage of having players who contribute while not costing too much. Etc.

That's the truth. Getting Schmidt pretty much locked him out here. With no Dmen having been traded, there was no space for him here this year.

And I am not unhappy with Schmidt's play so far this year either. But Kovy could have saved 5 mil in cap hit if we could have moved Schmidt.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
florida has 51 shots right now vs ottawa with 6 mins to go in the 3rd...

jesus, people are still crying about losing kovacevic...
They put up 51 last game too.

They also draw tons of PP

Need to finish at a better rate tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad