Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ya know time creeps by quickly. 50 years is a long time for a building like this. How old is it now ? 20 25 ?
The MTS Centre/Bell MTS Place/Canada Life Centre opened in November of 2004 - so it's turning 19 this year.

Isn't TNSE talking about buying Portage Place? Laying the groundwork...?

But unless a new arena is almost entirely funded by governments, it's not going to make sense for the Jets to move for a very very long time.

Right now they own a 15K seat arena outright...in the centre of their downtown real estate development. If they had to kick in, say 10% of a new $600M arena, then they'd have that $60M mortgage to pay - and I'm not sure how much more revenue they could squeeze out of it.

Also, that Portage Place lot is not suitable for an arena - unless they're planning on buying the residential block behind the mall, even the wide end is narrower than the current arena lot.

1682523251909.png

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Ok so 25 more years yet befre we start to worry, well not me probably ill be pushing up daisies.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The MTS Centre/Bell MTS Place/Canada Life Centre opened in November of 2004 - so it's turning 19 this year.

Isn't TNSE talking about buying Portage Place? Laying the groundwork...?

But unless a new arena is almost entirely funded by governments, it's not going to make sense for the Jets to move for a very very long time.

Right now they own a 15K seat arena outright...in the centre of their downtown real estate development. If they had to kick in, say 10% of a new $600M arena, then they'd have that $60M mortgage to pay - and I'm not sure how much more revenue they could squeeze out of it.

Also, that Portage Place lot is not suitable for an arena - unless they're planning on buying the residential block behind the mall, even the wide end is narrower than the current arena lot.

View attachment 697008
What they should do is just raise the arena 3 stories and build overtop of Hargrave and Donald - problem solved :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
is that 613M in 2016 dollars, or 2023? im assuming that's not the total deal as well.

The 613M was in 2016 dollars and according to this document

The $613.7 million was the total cost of the project, while the actual arena was $483.5 million. So Calgary's plan is basically double the cost. I know building costs have gone up since Edmonton built their arena... not sure how much.

Also note, the City of Edmonton charges a ticket surcharge for all tickets

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
This is nothing more than an arena pissing contest between Calgary and Edmonton. One that Winnipeg doesn't need to get caught up in.

The pissing contest should be between Winnipeg and Regina. Right now, they already have a much better football stadium and if they ever add that roof it was designed to accommodate, could we live with the ignominy? I don't think so. :nod:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

If they owned all the property between Portage and Ellice, and Vaughn and Carlton, they could build a right proper downtown arena complex. New 18,000 seat arena for the Jets, a revamped CLC which would be a lower bowl only arena for the Moose, and the upper areas filled in and converted to other purposes. But I'm just the big picture guy, I'll leave the details and funding as an exercise for others. :laugh:

Reactions: macmaroon

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The question is , do we really need one? Yet?

As someone who spent a lot of time in the old Polo Park Winnipeg Arena, every time I step into the newer downtown barn, I honestly don't have too many issues. And yes I have had issues ( goddam Loge ), and could it have been better? Sure, but it was never built with the intention of hosting an NHL team. And improvements have been made and can continue to be made for a fraction of the cost of a new one. IMO we are probably 20 years away from even thinking about replacing it.
I'm on the same page in that I don't think there's a pressing need at the moment, but then I've never sat in really tight seats at our current arena. My old seats in 112 were fine, unless someone in the 300lb range was beside me (it happened on more than one occasion). My current seats in 103 are fine. I could use more legroom without question but that wouldn't even really happen much in a brand new arena. As a denizen of the upper deck in the old arena, I can't help but enjoy this newer arena. Just not having to walk down those stairs of the upper deck in the old barn is a huge win.

I think realistically capacity wise we won't be getting a new arena for some time. Jets aren't likely winning much in the next few years as this window closes, so 13K attendance sure doesn't scream "spend a billion" to me as a taxpayer. I guess the bigger question from TNSE's standpoint is do they have enough box space to generate the revenue they want. My understanding is that they do and that they're still at or near capacity that way so in good shape.

I think washrooms and the concourse remain the largest issues but I've been to a few other arenas and they really aren't all that much better in many cases. I haven't been to some of the really new, super duper arenas though, so maybe paradise does exist.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The 613M was in 2016 dollars and according to this document

The $613.7 million was the total cost of the project, while the actual arena was $483.5 million. So Calgary's plan is basically double the cost. I know building costs have gone up since Edmonton built their arena... not sure how much.

Also note, the City of Edmonton charges a ticket surcharge for all tickets
ah ok, thanks. not sure if you were comparing the 613.5M (EDM-2016) to the 800M (CGY-today). Inflation would take care of majority of the difference there. not saying pissing contest doesn't exist but other factors should be considered.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Boston ties it up 3-3 in the 3rd. 3 minutes left in the game.

Paul has about 30 minutes left in his career as a head coach..

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Seattle is up on Colorado 3-2
Toronto is up on Tampa 3-1

Who would have thought going into the playoffs that we could be looking at having both of last year's Stanley Cup finalists being eliminated in the first round this year. :whaaa?:

Reactions: TommyKillian

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Seattle is up on Colorado 3-2
Toronto is up on Tampa 3-1

Who would have thought going into the playoffs that we could be looking at having both of last year's Stanley Cup finalists being eliminated in the first round this year. :whaaa?:

Colorado is the surprising one. Tampa was a coin flip last year and probably the underdog going into the series without the history of Toronto 1st round collapses.

Reactions: Luc Labelle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad