Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
preds lose in regulation, now they are 5 back with 2 games in hand

This is why I wasn't particularly worried about them. Jets are back to controlling their own destiny. If they f*** up, it's their own damn fault.

1679941940940.png

I'm also apparently a time traveler. lol

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
.927 sv% and I believe he had a shutout last start.

He did indeed, bringing his shutout total up to 1; he's now .886 in 19 games this year.

And I post this not to dunk on him, but there was a WHOLE lotta "ha ha Chevy dropped the ball" when Comrie was looking good after 4 games.

Honestly, showing up someone is the shootout is kinda a dick move. If it’s a regular goal then whatever. The shootout though?? Guy has 6 goals lol.

Isn't that evidence in favor of him celebrating? Dude with 6 goals celebrating like he won the lottery looks a lot different than McDavid doing it on his 60th, yeah?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Panthers down a goal with 4 minutes left in the do or die playoff hunt game against Ottawa. Take a stupid penalty. Ottawa scores on the pp to seal the game.

A week or two ago, I heard a Paul Maurice presser. Reporter asks (paraphrasing here) 'your team has 15 more minor penalties than anyone in your division. Do you need to do something to get that under control?'
Paul Maurice's one word answer 'No'

You can't make this stuff up.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Humiliating that we are in a race with them for the final wild card...
Who is it humiliating? You? That's pretty unfair to you as you have zero input on anything to do with the team's performance.

The team? I doubt they are feeling humiliated by anything. They may be mad, frustrated, anxious about their play but I'm doubting humiliation is a thing they are feeling.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly, showing up someone is the shootout is kinda a dick move. If it’s a regular goal then whatever. The shootout though?? Guy has 6 goals lol.
I don't know how I feel about this - I think my opinion is changing somewhat. When Svechnikov scored that Michigan on us a couple of years ago I wanted a Jet to beat the living f*** out of him. I felt it was kind of disrespectful.

However, having more time to think about things like this, it is a game, it is entertainment, and we've always kind of complained that hockey players are pretty vanilla.

I don't mind seeing more excitement and emotion in the game. Also, If I scored in a shootout in the NHL I would be f***ing PUMPED :)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Panthers down a goal with 4 minutes left in the do or die playoff hunt game against Ottawa. Take a stupid penalty. Ottawa scores on the pp to seal the game.

A week or two ago, I heard a Paul Maurice presser. Reporter asks (paraphrasing here) 'your team has 15 more minor penalties than anyone in your division. Do you need to do something to get that under control?'

maurice-swearing.gif

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I don't know how I feel about this - I think my opinion is changing somewhat. When Svechnikov scored that Michigan on us a couple of years ago I wanted a Jet to beat the living f*** out of him. I felt it was kind of disrespectful.

However, having more time to think about things like this, it is a game, it is entertainment, and we've always kind of complained that hockey players are pretty vanilla.

I don't mind seeing more excitement and emotion in the game. Also, If I scored in a shootout in the NHL I would be f***ing PUMPED :)
League needs more characters.

Such a conservative league.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Per this source, they're 3rd in the league in most shorthanded times per game (262, 14 more than Boston and 33[!] more times than TB) and 5th worst in PK rate (74.05%)

2022-2023

Now, I'm no world class hockey mind, but it seems to me that this presents itself as a rather easy point of improvement.

Side note: Brandon Montour is in my fantasy replay team's top 4. Going over how my team's gonna look next year and it blew my mind to see a peripheral, offensive-first D man that was SEVENTH(!) overall with 99 PIM, just behind stalwarts like Arber Xhekaj and Austin Watson. Florida in fact has three players in the top eleven in PIM (Tkachuk and Lomberg the other two).

But OH NO, not a weakness on this team at all.

Yikes.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Per this source, they're 3rd in the league in most shorthanded times per game (262, 14 more than Boston and 33[!] more times than TB) and 5th worst in PK rate (74.05%)

2022-2023

Now, I'm no world class hockey mind, but it seems to me that this presents itself as a rather easy point of improvement.

Side note: Brandon Montour is in my fantasy replay team's top 4. Going over how my team's gonna look next year and it blew my mind to see a peripheral, offensive-first D man that was SEVENTH(!) overall with 99 PIM, just behind stalwarts like Arber Xhekaj and Austin Watson. Florida in fact has three players in the top eleven in PIM (Tkachuk and Lomberg the other two).

But OH NO, not a weakness on this team at all.

Yikes.
Last year, their PK% was ~80% during the regular season. 80% last year vs 74% this year over 262 penalties is about 15 more goals against over the course of the season to date. If they miss the post season by a couple of points, this is one area that could have made the difference. And of course not being near the top of the league in penalties and actually giving a shit about it would help too.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Last year, their PK% was ~80% during the regular season. 80% last year vs 74% this year over 262 penalties is about 15 more goals against over the course of the season to date. If they miss the post season by a couple of points, this is one area that could have made the difference. And of course not being near the top of the league in penalties and actually giving a shit about it would help too.

Yeah, that would definitely do it. League average might have done it too. Both their goalies are rocking .901 over 2,093 shots. Make that even .904 and that's 8 less goals and ~3 more points. $10M starter and you get what I assume is replacement level goaltending. Yikes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Humiliating that we are in a race with them for the final wild card...
Boy if teams fighting for a wildcard spot are humiliated, all team clearly out of the playoffs must feel really humiliated. So well more than half the players in the NHL are currently feeling humiliation by your standard.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad