Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
And yet he is still a huge upgrade over Laine.
C>W. Always.

But huge upgrade is looking through a lens of October to January.

He was arguably and understandably invisible immediately after and for the duration of the season he was traded - 20 points in 41 games was not an upgrade over any season of Laine while he was with Winnipeg. And really, it wasn't an upgrade on Laine within that season itself as their point totals were nearly identical and on paper we were a much better team and PLD was in a much better situation.

Second year much better, settled in, playing towards potential. Sixty point player, solid power center filling the 2C slot. Agree here, upgrade because of my first point alone.

This year has been bipolar. Pre-all-star game he was looking like 9-10 million contract with term (oh that he would sign here). Post all-star break he's been useful, but not more valuable than Jets-era Laine, not by a long shot. Now I suspect that there's something going on with his health that we're not being told. Regardless, Laine has injury issues and many readily mock him for that. So how can we legitimately use injuries as an excuse for PLD's play decline? Too much kettle and pot for my tastes.

Couple that with the anger of many here around Laine's trade request. Yet I see all the rumors swirling around what PLD did/didn't say. So many here (not I) are fond of saying 'where there's smoke...'. You say potato, I say potatoe.

My hope is we can still sign him to a 4-5 year deal giving him plenty of time to move on to Montreal (or elsewhere) to run out his career and maybe win a cup in his home province.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
C>W. Always.

He was arguably and understandably invisible immediately after and for the duration of the season he was traded - 20 points in 41 games was not an upgrade over any season of Laine while he was with Winnipeg. And really, it wasn't an upgrade on Laine within that season itself as their point totals were nearly identical and on paper we were a much better team and PLD was in a much better situation.

Second year much better, settled in, playing towards potential. Sixty point player, solid power center filling the 2C slot. Agree here, upgrade because of my first point alone.

This year has been bipolar. Pre-all-star game he was looking like 9-10 million contract with term (oh that he would sign here). Post all-star break he's been useful, but not more valuable than Jets-era Laine, not by a long shot. Now I suspect that there's something going on with his health that we're not being told. Regardless, Laine has injury issues and many readily mock him for that. So how can we legitimately use injuries as an excuse for PLD's play decline? Too much kettle and pot for my tastes.

Couple that with the anger of many here around Laine's trade request. Yet I see all the rumors swirling around what PLD did/didn't say. So many here (not I) are fond of saying 'where there's smoke...'. You say potato, I say potatoe.

My hope is we can still sign him to a 4-5 year deal giving him plenty of time to move on to Montreal (or elsewhere) to run out his career and maybe win a cup in his home province.
Currently the Jets are better then his preferred destination. That might sway him. But I’m ready for him to go this summer.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
C>W. Always.

Well said and until we see Dubois ‘ name on an extension (which won’t happen imo) or the end result of whatever picks/ prospects the Jets get in return, I’d say Columbus extracted more value than the Jets due to the Laine extension for an additional 3 seasons.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
C>W. Always.

Very well said. Many Jets fans soured on Laine (understandably so) but I’m not sure if Dubois is a huge upgrade on Laine. An upgrade, maybe, especially because he’s a play driving C instead of a passenger winger, but I don’t think PLD is tiers ahead of Laine.

If/when we trade Dubois we’ll have to see what the return is to see if we got fair value from the trade considering Laine extended in Columbus and we also threw in Roslovic for a measly 3rd.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Well said and until we see Dubois ‘ name on an extension (which won’t happen imo) or the end result of whatever picks/ prospects the Jets get in return, I’d say Columbus extracted more value than the Jets due to the Laine extension for an additional 3 seasons.
Yeah, I'll agree with that depending on whether Dubois signs an extension with us, of some duration. Also on the return PLD brings if he's traded. But going from #2 overall to #3 overall to #14 and a prospect isn't really the right direction of trend. It's something, I'll give it that.

At the same time, I see the other side of the coin. Laine asked out, what was Chevy to do? Always tougher to move someone once they've made their intentions public (themselves, via their agent, etc. cough*PLD*cough) so it was quite a return all things considered. But that was stars aligning with two disgruntled young men from the same draft with similar value.

Agree with @Aggie204 we're better than the Habs for a few years yet, depending on what happens with PLD/Scheifele/Helle. That's what gives me hope for PLD signing something of shorter duration. Better odds here. Time will tell.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Edwards losing his marbles already, I get it that he hams it up for the Boston audience but for somebody who doesn't care about either team his pbp is so Mickey Mouse

Reactions: macmaroon

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Hey edwards, the bear is being poked

1679765076305.gif

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Roslovic was also part of that trade. 45 points last year and will finish this year with about the same.
That's a weird one though... he was blocked by Wheeler and Scheif when you look back - Laine couldn't play top line so that bumps RH shot Roslo down to 3rd line...

Both Copp and Roslo should have been given real chances to develop at 2C.

Im still scratching my head on Tolvanen. What the hell was Poile thinking?
Maybe Poile was like - no fkn way I hand a winning team to Trotz - he at least needs to work for it

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's a weird one though... he was blocked by Wheeler and Scheif when you look back - Laine couldn't play top line so that bumps RH shot Roslo down to 3rd line...

Both Copp and Roslo should have been given real chances to develop at 2C.

Maybe Poile was like - no fkn way I hand a winning team to Trotz - he at least needs to work for it
Copp is a 2c in Detroit and he is a garbage fire.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Very well said. Many Jets fans soured on Laine (understandably so) but I’m not sure if Dubois is a huge upgrade on Laine. An upgrade, maybe, especially because he’s a play driving C instead of a passenger winger, but I don’t think PLD is tiers ahead of Laine.

If/when we trade Dubois we’ll have to see what the return is to see if we got fair value from the trade considering Laine extended in Columbus and we also threw in Roslovic for a measly 3rd.
I've definitely wavered on my opinion on him from what has transpired with this team since his trade.

I Am going to throw the Trouba trade in this too, but I'd chill on labelling any of the two massive wins, upgrades or steals.

PLD is good and center over winger, however, there are components of Laine's game I think this team misses. Having his goal scoring, as well as the huge PP weapon (top 5 in both 17-18 and 18-19) is lacking on this team. And then trouba Morrissey a great pairing for us, as well as trouba holding Down the fort in 18-19 when everyone was hurt and he had to carry the Beaulieu anchor. Our most successful seasons came with those 2 playing pivotal roles on this team.

I know it's not a perfect comparison bc the team is different, however, if pld (or pionk) were huge upgrades and winning trades for us as folks like to gloat about id like to think we'd have success similar to 17-18 maybe?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I've definitely wavered on my opinion on him from what has transpired with this team since his trade.

I Am going to throw the Trouba trade in this too, but I'd chill on labelling any of the two massive wins, upgrades or steals.

PLD is good and center over winger, however, there are components of Laine's game I think this team misses. Having his goal scoring, as well as the huge PP weapon (top 5 in both 17-18 and 18-19) is lacking on this team. And then trouba Morrissey a great pairing for us, as well as trouba holding Down the fort in 18-19 when everyone was hurt and he had to carry the Beaulieu anchor. Our most successful seasons came with those 2 playing pivotal roles on this team.

I know it's not a perfect comparison bc the team is different, however, if pld (or pionk) were huge upgrades and winning trades for us as folks like to gloat about id like to think we'd have success similar to 17-18 maybe?
Honestly, I think a lot of it was just fatigue from dealing with some of the (sometimes) brash Finnish contingent combined with Laine’s (apparent lack of) work ethic that made people celebrate the trade so much.

I was always pretty meh at best on it. There were deficiencies in Laine’s game but the whole relationship between the team and Laine fell apart for multiple reasons. It was nice to get PLD out of what eventually happened given the circumstances but I’m not sure it was a massive upgrade

Reactions: Fairview

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Getting Dubois a center, for Laine a wounded winger was a good trade. It will be very interesting to see what happens with Dubois, if we sign him or what we get in a trade.
I agree. The team was constantly looking for a 2C and PLD was the right move. Interestingly here we are questioning, for different reasons, whether our top 2 centers will be here much longer. How things change. Maybe Chevy the Alchemist has some sort of plan.....well he better have a damn plan lol otherwise see ya fella

Reactions: Jets 31

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Copp is a 2c in Detroit and he is a garbage fire.
Moot point... Copp always had great chemistry with Ehlers when he was here - not sure why we didn't pursue that - Jets were so trapped in having a 'great' checking line that we sacrificed many chances to develop our own 2Cs

I don't give a fk about Detroit this year. I'll measure Copp's success as a C when he actually has real line mates.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Honestly, I think a lot of it was just fatigue from dealing with some of the (sometimes) brash Finnish contingent combined with Laine’s (apparent lack of) work ethic that made people celebrate the trade so much.

I was always pretty meh at best on it. There were deficiencies in Laine’s game but the whole relationship between the team and Laine fell apart for multiple reasons. It was nice to get PLD out of what eventually happened given the circumstances but I’m not sure it was a massive upgrade
Like you, just fatigue about the Laine discussion atm lol.

But ya I thought this team would be much better with PLD however that has not happened. 19th in pts% since he's been here, haven't sniffed a WCF either. There's more to it then just that trade, however, like I said id just chill on huge upgrade or steals till we accomplish something.

Reactions: snowkiddin

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Moot point... Copp always had great chemistry with Ehlers when he was here - not sure why we didn't pursue that - Jets were so trapped in having a 'great' checking line that we sacrificed many chances to develop our own 2Cs

I don't give a fk about Detroit this year. I'll measure Copp's success as a C when he actually has real line mates.

The whole "checking line" thing is one of the puzzling things about a puzzling org.

And according to some sources (Murat among them) this goes beyond coaching to the heart the org and how it wants its team to play. Why they want to shape the team from a template rather than analyzing the parts and working to get the best out of those players is also up for discussion, but it's been going on for years.

Bowness and his team have done plenty of good things in terms of defence and PK but he too seems to like this scoring / sometimes scoring / checking / 5 mins energy & PK line breakdown and is as reluctant to modify it as he is to break down the PP.

Also agree with some others who have noted that our coaches see the bottom 6 as the model for "playing the right way," which at this point is stifling our creativity off the rush and bleeding into a PP that is trending towards the bottom of the league at 1/27 or whatever it's at now.

I honestly wonder at this point how the Jets might play if they were coaching themselves, as in some of the garbage-time hockey of yore. Sometimes IMO coaches needs to get out of their own way. This may be one of those times.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
C>W. Always.

I don't think the Jets risk shitting the bed without either top 6 centre next year. The Jets can make a choice to keep one for another year regardless of any outside noise. Detroit has two 1sts, Andrew Copp, and I think Yzerman would probably like a player the calibre of Scheifele on his team, might even help straighten him out attitude wise. If the Jets go in a different direction of leadership next year.

Connor seems to enjoy playing on Dubois's line, and I think that's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad