Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
3-1 victory for the Red Wings tonight over the Capitals puts them in a playoff spot in terms of pts. % and only one point back of the Penguins, 3 points back of the Isles, and 2 from the Panthers, with 4 games in hand on the latter two.

Dylan Larkin kicked out in the 1st period for a vicious crosscheck to TJ Oshie. Pius Suter gets the GWG on the subsequent PK.

Andrew Copp was 2nd on the team in ice time, after Seider.

Hasn't taken Stevie Y long to turn the Red Wings around.

Washington, on the other hand, have lost 5 in a row. I wonder if they blow it up at the deadline? A lot of UFAs on that team. Orlov would be the most valuable. TJ Oshie had 6 goals in 6 games in the playoffs last year, I wonder if he would get traded out of the Ovechkin show. I wouldn't be surprised if Scott Arniel gets some input on at least one Jets trade.

I don't think Washington "blows it up" while Ovechkin is still there. He's chasing Gretzky and he's a (probable) Hall of Fame sniper I don't see them wasting the last 3 years of his contract.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think Washington "blows it up" while Ovechkin is still there. He's chasing Gretzky and he's a (probable) Hall of Fame sniper I don't see them wasting the last 3 years of his contract.
Brendon Dillon might have ended John Carlson's year, and that's a big part of the Ovechkin show. I don't expect a lot of the guys there to stick around, when Ovechkin has the spotlight, and that's almost more important than winning some nights. Washington is a team that is going to have to rebuild, and maybe it's by sucking while Ovechkin chases Gretzky's record. There's no certainty with the team, not having a single defenseman signed for next year, other than Carlson.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Brendon Dillon might have ended John Carlson's year, and that's a big part of the Ovechkin show. I don't expect a lot of the guys there to stick around, when Ovechkin has the spotlight, and that's almost more important than winning some nights. Washington is a team that is going to have to rebuild, and maybe it's by sucking while Ovechkin chases Gretzky's record. There's no certainty with the team, not having a single defenseman signed for next year, other than Carlson.
The owner already told the media the Caps are not doing a rebuild with Ovechkin chasing the record.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The owner already told the media the Caps are not doing a rebuild with Ovechkin chasing the record.
He's going to have to do something. There's a good chance Backstrom and Ovechkin's contracts age out like Toews and Kane, then you have Oshie, Mantha, Wilson earning over $16 million next season, and there's not a lot of production there. That defense is likely going to have to be rebuilt. I could see the Cap tanking this year, and trying to make a run at it next year. Because it sure doesn't seem like their season, and with so many UFAs, out of a playoff spot, they might as well have a good draft, or get some tradeable assets at the draft.

They are playing Dylan Mc Ilrath right now on defense. I wonder what they would offer for Logan Stanley. A guy like Nick Jensen would be a pretty good add as a 7th d-man.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
He's going to have to do something. There's a good chance Backstrom and Ovechkin's contracts age out like Toews and Kane, then you have Oshie, Mantha, Wilson earning over $16 million next season, and there's not a lot of production there. That defense is likely going to have to be rebuilt. I could see the Cap tanking this year, and trying to make a run at it next year. Because it sure doesn't seem like their season, and with so many UFAs, out of a playoff spot, they might as well have a good draft, or get some tradeable assets at the draft.

They are playing Dylan Mc Ilrath right now on defense. I wonder what they would offer for Logan Stanley. A guy like Nick Jensen would be a pretty good add as a 7th d-man.
Wow I just looked at cap friendly ... you are right the Caps literally have no defensemen other than Carlson signed for next season ... ouch.

Reactions: kanadalainen

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Maybe a couple of the UFAs if they're really out of it but anyone with term, no, and Ovechkin hasn't played since Feb 12. His return should keep them in the WC discussion at least, which makes it unlikely they move anyone out unless it's for a big price.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Maybe a couple of the UFAs if they're really out of it but anyone with term, no, and Ovechkin hasn't played since Feb 12. His return should keep them in the WC discussion at least, which makes it unlikely they move anyone out unless it's for a big price.
You can probably stick a fork in them, Ovie no Ovie. That defense isn't very good without Carlson. And Orlov is getting thrown around in rumours. I'd hate to see him get traded to the West, but he's probably better than Gavrikov for teams looking for an alternative.

Scotty Arniel would know a lot about who is a good player there and fit for the Jets. I still expect us to nab a player or two from them.

Reactions: Stumbledore

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You can probably stick a fork in them, Ovie no Ovie. That defense isn't very good without Carlson. And Orlov is getting thrown around in rumours. I'd hate to see him get traded to the West, but he's probably better than Gavrikov for teams looking for an alternative.

Scotty Arniel would know a lot about who is a good player there and fit for the Jets. I still expect us to nab a player or two from them.

They might be done this year but I don't see them "blowing it up" as the post I quoted put it. I think they try to get a couple of games in with Ovechkin this week and see where they're at right at the deadline.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
They might be done this year but I don't see them "blowing it up" as the post I quoted put it. I think they try to get a couple of games in with Ovechkin this week and see where they're at right at the deadline.
With 11 UFAs, if they trade them all, that to me is blowing it up.

There's some guys on that list that would be valuable to a lot of team, including us.

I don't know how a guy who only skates half the time he is on the ice can save them, in pts % Caps are 12th in the East, narrowly ahead of Ottawa.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Maybe not blow it up per say, but they could move out a UFA or two if they’re not expecting to re-sign them for a younger player from another team or picks if they have an internal replacement. Just a bit of a retool.

I’d prefer TVR.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wake up today and see that Detroit is 2 points out of a wild card spot.... with 4 games in hand on the teams currently in the wild card spots. o_O Seemed that some talk going into the season was how high their draft pick was going to be, now a potential playoff spot.

Without looking , name 4 Red Wings players...

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Wake up today and see that Detroit is 2 points out of a wild card spot.... with 4 games in hand on the teams currently in the wild card spots. o_O Seemed that some talk going into the season was how high their draft pick was going to be, now a potential playoff spot.

larkin, burttzzi, copp, chiarot, seider, husso, suter, vrana, zadina, perron, ramussen, nedeljkovich

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

They picked up 5 good ones this offseason. Husso, Copp, Chiarot, Maatta and Perron. The Nick Leddy trade last year got them back Jake Walman who was kind of a no name in St. Louis, is now their 1st pairing defenseman with Seider. I'd like to see the Wings back in the playoffs. They are an Original Six team I have always respected. Steve Yzerman has shown he can build a winner...

SUX2BU

Average user of an average team
Feb 6, 2018
Canada

Copp, Chiarot, Larkin, Bertuzzi

What did I win? Springsteen tickets ? :sarcasm:

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
This guy loves playing Winnipeg. Were not even in the same Division...

1677119366636.jpeg

Reactions: macmaroon

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Dumb question. If your on the pk and pull the goalie, can you ice the puck without getting called for icing?

If you made a set cherry pick play and retrieved the icing, would it be a 3 line pass?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Dumb question. If your on the pk and pull the goalie, can you ice the puck without getting called for icing?

If you made a set cherry pick play and retrieved the icing, would it be a 3 line pass?
No. As soon as the number of skaters ( not including the goalie ) is equal, you will get called for icing. Team A has 5 skaters, Team B has 4 skaters and pulls the goalie to get a 5th skater... icing can be called.

This is why they also have a special rule for player substitution when you ice the puck in this case or anytime you pull the goalie. Normally all the skaters on the ice when icing was called have to remain on the ice, but if you pulled the goalie, you are allowed to take a skater off , and put the goalie back in.

Reactions: B33R LEAGUE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad