Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
It's not plug and play for most of those teams, I think the Leafs are better than all but 2 of those teams, but even so, if you're in the top end of the league, then make a push.
Sure, and I understand that from your POV.. however one of my points is that fans from many of those teams feel that they have a chance at the cup, and its likely those teams' GMs are under pressure to act.

WRT to "window" years? I agree with you.

Reactions: Stumbledore

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Sure, and I understand that from your POV.. however one of my points is that fans from many of those teams feel that they have a chance at the cup, and its likely those teams' GMs are under pressure to act.

WRT to "window" years? I agree with you.

Sure. I think Toronto is under far more pressure than those other teams because of the market they're in.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
SN/TSN pump up the Leafs tires so hard to keep eyeballs glued to the point where when the Leafs make a trade for a player that is having a terrible year the fans think it's the greatest deal of the century. Leafs will go out early again ROR will go back to St. louis and the Leafs will be bystanders at the draft.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
You guys know the Leafs got another player who was producing like a 3rd line player in Acciari right? It looks like a slight overpay at worst.

If O'Reilly is still a decent defensive forward, you would need to give up a first and some sort of throw-in like a 2nd, 3rd of 4th. Acciari probably commands a 3rd or so on his own. At worst, Leafs gave up one mid-round pick too much.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
You guys know the Leafs got another player who was producing like a 3rd line player in Acciari right? It looks like a slight overpay at worst.

If O'Reilly is still a decent defensive forward, you would need to give up a first and some sort of throw-in like a 2nd, 3rd of 4th. Acciari probably commands a 3rd or so on his own. At worst, Leafs gave up one mid-round pick too much.

Tend to agree. The trade fills a few needs and makes the Leafs potentially a much harder out over 7 games.

Reactions: kanadalainen

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

ROR still rates pretty good at both the ends. the problem is he is playing in front of Binnington who is trash. his linemates apparently have had terrible finishing too. is that on him? bad luck? :dunno:

ie:

not sure if you follow PDO but this year in STL:
1676755394726.png

what has ROR's archetype usually been.... an excellent 2-way C, one of the best of the decade, but i don't think he can be the best offensive finisher on a line. he'll certainly help in match-up situations shutting down the opposition (which is paramount in the POs) while helping drive offense. and also, Leafs got him at under 2M with the 75% retention, so still have room to make more moves

personally i think ROR for a 1st+ doesn't fit the Jets needs. but i was expecting him to get a 1st+ given his pedigree somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
Watching hockey night in Canada tonight is going to be the most insufferable experience ever known to mankind. leafs leafs leafs leafs more leafs , leafs

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Do you think he has carte Blanche and makes these moves in isolation?
I don't think Kyle Dubas has carte Blanche, and I think Shannahan is really calling the shots, and Dubas is more of a puppet, and a security blanket for Shannahan's job, should things go bad. Brendan has a nice situation in Toronto, acting like a GM, but having an easy out if things don't work out. I could be wrong, but with Brendan being President of hockey operations, I'm sure everything is initially orchestrated by him, or at the very least OK'd by him.

I really don't think Dubas has much power at all in that organization, but I could be wrong here ? I wonder if anyone else agrees ?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't think Kyle Dubas has carte Blanche, and I think Shannahan is really calling the shots, and Dubas is more of a puppet, and a security blanket for Shannahan's job, should things go bad. Brendan has a nice situation in Toronto, acting like a GM, but having an easy out if things don't work out. I could be wrong, but with Brendan being President of hockey operations, I'm sure everything is initially orchestrated by him, or at the very least OK'd by him.

I really don't think Dubas has much power at all in that organization, but I could be wrong here ? I wonder if anyone else agrees ?

I disagree. A director of hockey operations is a buffer between ownership and the GM/actual hockey side of a professional sports team. I'm sure there is daily communication between Shanahan and Dubas but I strongly disagree that Dubas is some puppet that's just doing his boss's will.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I disagree. A director of hockey operations is a buffer between ownership and the GM/actual hockey side of a professional sports team. I'm sure there is daily communication between Shanahan and Dubas but I strongly disagree that Dubas is some puppet that's just doing his boss's will.
Interesting -- we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I think you missed the fact that they will be talking about the Leafs...:laugh:
:)

The Leafs seem to hold parallels to baseballs' Yankees, minus all the success.:laugh:

I get that there are Leafs fans coast to coast.

I understand that Eastern Canada is top heavy in population, and have huge pull on ratings, ad money, and legions of slavering on-side personalities quivering to help spread the word.
Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 6.58.02 PM.png

But if you are at all like me (there are *millions* of us in Canada and the US (if HFBoards talk is any indication)) who harbour a quintessential gut-felt dislike of the Leafs, their hype, and the 24/7 PR feed (Austin loves cinnamon on his Quaker Oats, we think this helps him tape his stick!), then news onslaught during the next few months will take courage.

Brace yourselves friends, you know who you are.

brace-yourself-brace.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad