Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
wild lose in regulation to the avs
If there is a team that would scare me as a 1st round matchup it's the defending champs. Jets win tomorrow night and they claim 1st in the West. At the top the matchups look easier, with all the bubble teams having some struggles with goaltending this year.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Did anyone see the Oiler vs Red Wings OT?
I don't think the Red Wings players have seen a 3 on 3 OT or have any idea of the basic strategy that EVERYONE employs. I can't remember the last time I saw a team willingly give the puck to the other team on purpose in OT.
The Red Wings had about 3 "dump and change" plays. It was like watching a Sponge Hockey game where a team was trying to play dump and chase hockey. OT (and Spongee) are ALL about possession.

The truly sad thing was the Oilers couldn't take advantage of this and went on to lose in an extended shootout.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Did anyone see the Oiler vs Red Wings OT?
I don't think the Red Wings players have seen a 3 on 3 OT or have any idea of the basic strategy that EVERYONE employs. I can't remember the last time I saw a team willingly give the puck to the other team on purpose in OT.
The Red Wings had about 3 "dump and change" plays. It was like watching a Sponge Hockey game where a team was trying to play dump and chase hockey. OT (and Spongee) are ALL about possession.

The truly sad thing was the Oilers couldn't take advantage of this and went on to lose in an extended shootout.
Copp had one dump in I saw. Oilers with all their speed surprisingly had a hard time with Seider, Hronek and Chiarot on defense. Detroit still doesn't have the top end talent, beyond Larkin and Seider, but they've become a much better team, with some structure. Copp and Larkin in the final minute won draw after draw too, icing the puck over and over.

Reactions: WolfHouse

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Copp had one dump in I saw. Oilers with all their speed surprisingly had a hard time with Seider, Hronek and Chiarot on defense. Detroit still doesn't have the top end talent, beyond Larkin and Seider, but they've become a much better team, with some structure. Copp and Larkin in the final minute won draw after draw too, icing the puck over and over.
Surprised the Wings aren't mentioned more in TD talk... Suter, Bertuzzi, Vrana - these are all value added guys that should be swapped for picks.

They have to re-sign Larkin - why they are balking at 9m I don't know... they have no other players besides Copp and Chiarot under contract...

This is what a Jets rebuild looks like - fringe team that is in danger of losing their top talent because there's no light on the horizon

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Surprised the Wings aren't mentioned more in TD talk... Suter, Bertuzzi, Vrana - these are all value added guys that should be swapped for picks.

They have to re-sign Larkin - why they are balking at 9m I don't know... they have no other players besides Copp and Chiarot under contract...

This is what a Jets rebuild looks like - fringe team that is in danger of losing their top talent because there's no light on the horizon
Detroit is one of those teams that are right on the edge of the playoffs. Currently tied with Buffalo, 4 points back of Washington, with 3 games in hand on the Caps, and 4 games in hand on the Isles and Panthers. On a 4 game winning streak.

If Stevie Y bows out there's some talented players available. If he decides to go for it, he's got $27 million in deadline Cap space to work with, and a full array of draft picks.

Reactions: Jet

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It was strange, when under pressure and running out of space/passing options they would just barrel into the Oilers pressure. All other teams circle back, leave the zone and regroup. Essentially to me it didn't seem like Detroit was using any of the proven tactics for 3 on 3. Bertuzzi doubled back after stealing the puck in his own end because he was too tired to try to attack but other wise they seemed to be playing their regular 5 on 5 style in OT. So strange. Despite their terrible strategy, Edmonton didn't have many chances and blew their possessions.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It was strange, when under pressure and running out of space/passing options they would just barrel into the Oilers pressure. All other teams circle back, leave the zone and regroup. Essentially to me it didn't seem like Detroit was using any of the proven tactics for 3 on 3. Bertuzzi doubled back after stealing the puck in his own end because he was too tired to try to attack but other wise they seemed to be playing their regular 5 on 5 style in OT. So strange. Despite their terrible strategy, Edmonton didn't have many chances and blew their possessions.
There was one player in that sequence who ragged the puck, for a change. There was another where Hronek just carried the puck into the zone, and kept it on the boards, 1 vs. 2, freeing up an open man on the change. Best chance in OT was probably Copp setting up Rasmussen for the breakaway...so while unorthodox they didn't give up any grade A chances...I mean a lot of the guys Detroit had on the ice were no gamers, but their coverage defensively was terrific, pressuring at the right time.

hardystar

Jan 18, 2023
My take is that Kyle Dubas is going all in since he has an expiring contract. If the Leafs go on a run in the playoffs he will get a long-term deal at a very high salary either with the Leafs or some other team. If they are out in the 1st round he will not be renewed and he leaves the new GM with reduced draft capital (which isn't his problem).

Although I don't always agree with the deals that Dubas takes on, in this case, I think he has snookered the Maple Leafs franchise.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
My take is that Kyle Dubas is going all in since he has an expiring contract. If the Leafs go on a run in the playoffs he will get a long-term deal at a very high salary either with the Leafs or some other team. If they are out in the 1st round he will not be renewed and he leaves the new GM with reduced draft capital (which isn't his problem).

Although I don't always agree with the deals that Dubas takes on, in this case, I think he has snookered the Maple Leafs franchise.

This is their window though. They aren't drafting players as impactful as their current core in the late 20s, so use this opportunity to go for it. He hasn't "snookered" anything.

This is a team that really needs some playoff success right now. They're a top 5 team in the NHL. Give the team the best chance to win NOW, don't save up those bit parts to maybe be a wild card team for a couple of extra seasons. MLSE doesn't need that playoff revenue.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

It's always a risk for a team to have and let a GM get to the last year of his contract, more so when the win now pressure is on. They could destroy the team's future in an effort to win now, and get a contract extension.

But, he could pull it off and win it all.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's always a risk for a team to have and let a GM get to the last year of his contract, more so when the win now pressure is on. They could destroy the team's future in an effort to win now, and get a contract extension.

But, he could pull it off and win it all.
The good news is that they will get all those picks back when they have to trade Matthews.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
This is a team that really needs some playoff success right now. They're a top 5 team in the NHL. Give the team the best chance to win NOW, don't save up those bit parts to maybe be a wild card team for a couple of extra seasons.

OK, but components of this statement are open to interpretation, and depending on one's fandom, literally plug and play for the:

Devils
Bruins
Oilers
Canes
Rangers
Kraken
Roger Vegas
Jets
Kings
Stars

..or roughly 1/3 of the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
OK, but components of this statement are open to interpretation, and depending on one's fandom, literally plug and play for the:

Devils
Bruins
Oilers
Canes
Rangers
Kraken
Roger Vegas
Jets

..and to a lesser extent
Tampa Bay
Kings
Stars

..or roughly 1/3 of the NHL.

It's not plug and play for most of those teams, I think the Leafs are better than all but 2 of those teams, but even so, if you're in the top end of the league, then make a push.

Lots of those teams are in different situations than Toronto as well. The Leafs are running out of competitive years here.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Do you think he has carte Blanche and makes these moves in isolation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad