Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This long break will be recompressing Jets sched. Instead of spending days resting between games, or practicing, they are spending them now on the beach in Florida.

I'm sure they'll be back a few days before the end of the break.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope so. :laugh:

But we will have a sched just like everyone else's from there on. No advantage of a lighter schedule.
I think circumstances have given the Jets a couple extra days off. The Jets played their last game prior to the ALL Star break on Jan 30, while some of the cohorts in the same bye week following the All Star break played as late as Feb 1.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
PLD is 3 years younger and will put up approximately 30 points more than Horvat at the same age. PLD is a clear tier above Horvat.

I guess the assumption is Horvat is having an outlier season and will go back being a ~60 pt guy, but PLD will continue to be a PPG center and keep improving?

Who would be a comparable for PLD then, any recent players be decent 50 pt guys until they are 24 then become ppg? Maybe Tage Thompson is comparable, tho he didn't have any nhl success before his breakout year, his and PLD's breakout years are similar stats and age.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think circumstances have given the Jets a couple extra days off. The Jets played their last game prior to the ALL Star break on Jan 30, while some of the cohorts in the same bye week following the All Star break played as late as Feb 1.

Sure. Doesn't change the fact that Jets have 12 days between games. There are a couple of other teams in the same boat. That doesn't excuse it either. It is really too long.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
PLD will biggest ufa hitting market in years.

$10 mill minimum if we sign him over the summer.
Wouldn't go that far. Gaudreau was coming off 100+ pt season just This past FA class. And Matthews, Aho are 2024.
I guess the assumption is Horvat is having an outlier season and will go back being a ~60 pt guy, but PLD will continue to be a PPG center and keep improving?

Who would be a comparable for PLD then, any recent players be decent 50 pt guys until they are 24 then become ppg? Maybe Tage Thompson is comparable, tho he didn't have any nhl success before his breakout year, his and PLD's breakout years are similar stats and age.
William nylander? Scored 80 pts/81 gp in 2021 as a 25 year old in his 6th full season. Basically the same as what PLD is currently trending for. His career ppg prior to that season was 0.73 ppg.

Bit of a side note on tage Thompson though since you mentioned him. What an crazy career arc for him. Is basically a pp fiend his draft year (1 even strength goal at Connecticut), doesn't do much in the nhl few years after drafted, traded to get ROR, switches from wing to center and is now some 6'7 highlight reel machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

PLD's last couple of seasons were disrupted by whatever it was went wrong in Cbus, plus trade, plus Covid, etc. Last year he matched his previous best and this year he has taken a step forward. Maybe he would have taken that step a year or 2 earlier without the disruption. We'll never know. But I don't think it is unreasonable, from watching his play this year, to expect him to level out at about a ppg for the next few years.

He was not nearly so good the last couple of weeks but the whole team was in a slump. Lets see if he can get back to his earlier form.

Agreed from a fan’s perspective. The players probably aren’t complaining.

I don't begrudge them the mid season break. It is just too long. I'm concerned about rust. How many games is it going to take for them to get their game legs and timing back?

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
PLD's last couple of seasons were disrupted by whatever it was went wrong in Cbus, plus trade, plus Covid, etc. Last year he matched his previous best and this year he has taken a step forward. Maybe he would have taken that step a year or 2 earlier without the disruption. We'll never know. But I don't think it is unreasonable, from watching his play this year, to expect him to level out at about a ppg for the next few years.

He was not nearly so good the last couple of weeks but the whole team was in a slump. Lets see if he can get back to his earlier form.

I don't begrudge them the mid season break. It is just too long. I'm concerned about rust. How many games is it going to take for them to get their game legs and timing back?
I am curious when they will be back skating. If they get a couple practice days in before the 11th it might not be a bad thing. Other then for us fans who have to go without hockey for the better part of 2 weeks.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yup, Jets are pacing 102 points that gets you in pretty easily. They just need to keep taking care of their own business.
Nice BTO reference.

PLD will biggest ufa hitting market in years.

$10 mill minimum if we sign him over the summer.
Matthews is likely to hit free agency that summer too.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I didn't feel like bumping a Scheifele thread so I'll post this here.

Goals scored at the All-Star break:

McDavid - 41 (GR 32)
Pastrnak - 38 (GR 31)
Rantanen - 34 (GR 34)
Thompson - 34 (GR 32)
Hughes - 33 (GR 33)
Robertson - 33 (GR 31)
Ovechkin - 32 (GR 29)
Horvat - 31 (GR 33)
Scheifele- 31 (GR 30)

It's pretty cool that Scheif is this close to the 3rd to 6th guys on this list.
Considering the December run where he mainly had bottom 6 nobodies on his wings and then our recent dry spell pre-ASB where we hardly scored any goals.

Neat fact: Horvat lost 3 games on the season through his trade. The Islanders have fewer games remaining than Vancouver.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Looks like Dallas is doing Dallas things. Likely squeeze a minimum of 1 pt out of their game.

Just seems like that team is never out of a game. They’re securing points even when they lose.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks like Dallas is doing Dallas things. Likely squeeze a minimum of 1 pt out of their game.

Just seems like that team is never out of a game. They’re securing points even when they lose.
Dallas given up a 2 goal lead in the 3rd with 6 minutes left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad