Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Dubois is younger and is putting up better numbers than Horvat at a similar age. He is also that big-centre that teams covet. Good chance it won't be our concern anyways as I think there is a less than 50% chance he will sign here whatever the Jets offer him.

Just to add to that, if both Scheif and Dubois were willing to sign here long-term, but both would require 8-year $9 -$10 million AAV to re-sign with the jets, I would trade Scheif without hesitation. He would be 31 when the new contract kicks in.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I get the attraction of a family holiday for the NHL players mid season but they do get 3 to 5 months off every spring summer to catch up for the lost time.

I don't mind a 5 day mid season break for the players. No ASB. This 12 day gap is too long away from the game. Who knows what they will be like when they get back to work. And it is at least mostly vacation time. When can the team schedule a practice?

Reactions: ps241 and surixon

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I’m too lazy to look it up, but does any other team have 12 days off for an All Star/ players break? It seems bizarre.
There’s a main boards thread bitching about the terrible schedules. Someone early in that thread lays out the days off for all the teams around the All Star break. I think 2 or 3 other teams have the same number of days as the Jets. A few more within a day or 2.

At least our game is against someone from our division who has been on a bye for a similar amount of time.

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think the Horvat contract sets a range for PLD, anyway. Both are ~60 point guys who are having carreer years this year.

People are saying it's 1.5M too high. Personally, I don't see that as a problem on a long term solution to 2C on a team compared to a 1.5M overpay for a 3rd line player or depth defenseman. Ydou fond a way to make it work

IF PLD and schief we both keen on re-signing, I'm not sure what their combined AAV would be but I think you have to do it and then hope you can backfill some spots with ELCs
yeah i see him in a similar range as horvat. so many players have been tracking for career seasons (both this year and last). with the rise in scoring, i think we may see higher dollars than expected being doled out. i think on UFA standards, this is a fair contract, maybe 8M looks a little better but it's not a huge difference.

dubois has slowed down a bit. he was previously at a ~100-pace. while still really good, it's now 82 pts pace. still lots of games left and POs for him to build on his contract-year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the Horvat contract sets a range for PLD, anyway. Both are ~60 point guys who are having carreer years this year.

People are saying it's 1.5M too high. Personally, I don't see that as a problem on a long term solution to 2C on a team compared to a 1.5M overpay for a 3rd line player or depth defenseman. Ydou fond a way to make it work

IF PLD and schief we both keen on re-signing, I'm not sure what their combined AAV would be but I think you have to do it and then hope you can backfill some spots with ELCs

Dubois is having his career year when he is 3 years younger so it is less likely to be an outlier. Or at least that will be his agents argument. Bo is more firmly established at that ~60 pt level. PLD has just found his level.

Dubois is younger and is putting up better numbers than Horvat at a similar age. He is also that big-centre that teams covet. Good chance it won't be our concern anyways as I think there is a less than 50% chance he will sign here whatever the Jets offer him.

Just to add to that, if both Scheif and Dubois were willing to sign here long-term, but both would require 8-year $9 -$10 million AAV to re-sign with the jets, I would trade Scheif without hesitation. He would be 31 when the new contract kicks in.

The problem for Scheif would not be the AAV, it would be the term. Offer him 5-6 years and point to Wheeler's 5 year deal as a model. But pay the man. He should retire a Jet, if at all possible.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone of you been to an all-star game/fan fest?
It’s not about the game itself it’s about promoting the game. Meeting retired and current players getting autographs for free instead of paying $100 at a show.
I was lucky enough to take in the Vancouver all star game and nfl Super Bowl 37 fan fest and it was great meeting a lot of superstars … conversations, autos, pics,handshakes can’t beat that.
My highlight in the 1998 Vancouver all star game was me giving Coyotes GM Bobby Smith crap for stealing the Jets from Winnipeg … his wife jumped in and said “we didn’t steal them we just made them better” lol.
never been. but agreed. it would look super goofy imo if the nhl was the only 1 of the big four that didn't have an all-star game. also like you said, creates some goodwill and fan engagement. along with some extra cash for the players.

Reactions: raideralex99

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There’s a main boards thread bitching about the terrible schedules. Someone early in that thread lays out the days off for all the teams around the All Star break. I think 2 or 3 other teams have the same number of days as the Jets. A few more within a day or 2.

At least our game is against someone from our division who has been on a bye for a similar amount of time.

Chicago comes back Feb 7. They play 2 games before us. We get them on a b2b though. 3rd game in 5 days for them.

See .... the schedule maker is managing the situation to even things out. :laugh:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Chicago comes back Feb 7. They play 2 games before us. We get them on a b2b though. 3rd game in 5 days for them.

See .... the schedule maker is managing the situation to even things out. :laugh:
Crap. It’s likely that them tired is less damaging then us insanely rusty. Just what we need, a loss to a tanking bottom dweller. I’m sure everyone around here will handle that just perfectly.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Looking around the league at the teams in the Central that are going to make up some ground on the Jets while they sit until Saturday.

Minnesota plays in Arizona Monday, Dallas Wednesday, and then home against the Knights Thursday

Colorado makes up 2 games, on the road Tuesday against the Pens, and Thursday against the Lightning.

Nashville only makes up 1 game, Tuesday at home against Vegas.

Minnesota, Colorado and Nashville currently have played 4 less games than the Jets. Jets are currently 7 points up on the Wild, 8 on Colorado, and 11 on the Preds.

Dallas has a home game Monday against the Ducks, and a home game against Minny, and will have a game in hand on the Jets subsequently. Currently sit with a 1 point advantage atop the Central.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Looking around the league at the teams in the Central that are going to make up some ground on the Jets while they sit until Saturday.

Minnesota plays in Arizona Monday, Dallas Wednesday, and then home against the Knights Thursday

Colorado makes up 2 games, on the road Tuesday against the Pens, and Thursday against the Lightning.

Nashville only makes up 1 game, Tuesday at home against Vegas.

Minnesota, Colorado and Nashville currently have played 4 less games than the Jets. Jets are currently 7 points up on the Wild, 8 on Colorado, and 11 on the Preds.

Dallas has a home game Monday against the Ducks, and a home game against Minny, and will have a game in hand on the Jets subsequently. Currently sit with a 1 point advantage atop the Central.
The Jets could really use a 7-3 or 8-2 run to avoid a playoff spot crunch.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Why would he get more than Horvat? They have almost identical career stats, and he is still RFA

I don't see PLD getting more than what Horvat got. Besides, I doubt it will be our problem to have. >_>
PLD is 3 years younger and will put up approximately 30 points more than Horvat at the same age. PLD is a clear tier above Horvat.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Except PLD is 3 years younger. Not much different than comparing Perfetti to a 50 point player in year 5 of their NHL career. If Horvat is worth $8.5 PLD is easily worth $10 M.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Jets could really use a 7-3 or 8-2 run to avoid a playoff spot crunch.
I think the Jets still have a nice cushion. The team I would be worried about is Colorado getting hot, that's a team capable of a sustained winning streak. Looking at their schedule they still have a lot of games left against SJ, Ana, Ari, and those are winnable games (they already lost one though). Minnesota is a little less predictable and they have to been worried about Nashville being only 4 points behind them. I think the Preds might have the better team, if they stay healthy.

I would be worried about a 1st round matchup with the defending champs, though it would a litmus test. Jets can still win 1st in the Central and the West, it's well within range.

I think there was a predictable slump from players coming back off IR trying to get back to speed. For them and the players who are nursing injuries, but playing through them, hopefully this break gives them the energy they need to get to the top.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Games in hand is a double edged sword. Yes, teams can make up ground but they'll have to do it on a more compressed schedule while the Jets have already had their crazy stretch and *should* be entering games more well rested.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Games in hand is a double edged sword. Yes, teams can make up ground but they'll have to do it on a more compressed schedule while the Jets have already had their crazy stretch and *should* be entering games more well rested.

Yup, Jets are pacing 102 points that gets you in pretty easily. They just need to keep taking care of their own business.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015

PLD will biggest ufa hitting market in years.

$10 mill minimum if we sign him over the summer.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Me waking up this morning to check the schedule to see when and against whom we play tonight only to find out there are no Jets games for almost another week:

jt.gif

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This long break will be recompressing Jets sched. Instead of spending days resting between games, or practicing, they are spending them now on the beach in Florida.

PLD will biggest ufa hitting market in years.

$10 mill minimum if we sign him over the summer.

He will hit UFA within a week of his 26th B'day. How many top UFA's are that young?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad