Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, as much as I loved the physical nature of hockey I care more about player health and am a strong proponent of safety.

My issue is that they've got hockey in a middle ground now where they allow dangerous things to happen and things that show the game down and allow less skilled players to cheat to equalize.

If they called something to a standard and adequately held their officials to it, they could remove it from the game but there never seems to be the dedication to do it.
When I was a kid I was the same way - knew every player on every team, etc. There were 21 teams then, and that means about 250 less players in the league.

Basically each team's worst 4 forwards and 2 defense wouldn't have jobs. It would make for a much less watered down product, and each team would have more good players.

Yes there were big hits and fights back then but the obstruction was WAY worse. I remember guys "water skiing" behind each other and outright clutching and grabbing.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Who ever was in charge of the camera angles for the “Tendy Tandem” (terrible name) was an idiot. The goalie would fire the puck down the ice and the main image would be a super close up of the goalie’s head who shot the puck. Then in a tiny inset window they had a really small and tight angle on the net. For many of the shots you never even saw the puck because it was wide of the shot. I’m no director but how does this guy have a job. Show the F’n puck going down the ice at the net. That is the drama. Not a close up
Of a f’n goalie mask.

The break away relay where teams got points for scoring goals was a 1000 times better than this pathetic attempt at Hollywood scenes/comedy bits. Trick dekes are cool but the guys for the most part aren’t even trying to score. I think each player used to get 2 shots. They could do round 1 - goal = 1 point. Round 2 - trick goal = 2 points but if you don’t score you get zero.

Lastly I’m not sure how a guy who goes 8 for 8 on accuracy target shots doesn’t win. There should be a time penalty for each miss tacked on to the total. Several players had gone 4 for 4 before. I don’t think anyone has ever done it twice at the same event (players never shot more than one round). The way they ran this event would be like if the hardest shot only counted your last shot.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I find the NHL Brand challenge interesting structurally.

I am between commitments today and need to run here right away but when I get a chance I might do a TLDR Jerry Maguire letter and maybe we can open source this project and riff a bit.

We are a group that enjoys second guessing and micro managing the Jets……why not take our group expertise to the next level. :laugh:

Reactions: Jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the all-star game...... you get a collection of individuals who are reserved, or showcase 0 personality in one arena. in an event ran by a league with the absolute most brilliant or creative minds who makes the easy things look difficult. Finally, headlined by perennial & current sensation......Fall Out Boy.

then everyone complains how it sucks after

geez who would've thunk it? lol

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I find this very inconvenient. :thumbd:
I think it's ass backwards. Right now there is no NFL to compete with, absolutely nothing stopping the NHL from grabbing the spotlight, but this self imposed break that every team gets during the year.

For me start the season a week earlier than Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. October is hockey season. You can condense roughly 35 games up until the Christmas break, then take a one week pause from Christmas Eve until the 30th, league wide, give players some time with their families while all families are home. Let fans watch World Juniors, NFL gets exciting at this time too. Then go back to work New Year's Eve, have your annual outdoor New Year's game, on both sides of the border! and then go for it to the stretch maybe finish the season a week earlier or keep it the same but have a few more practice days down the stretch. Playoffs should be over before the onset of summer. Have the All Star game after the season, like the Pro Bowl. It's a meaningless game, and stopping the season right in the heart of it just takes away from the excitement that the playoff races are generating.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Anyone else hate seeing Hellebuyck at the Allstar game?

Its too risky for our only chance in hell to be making saves in a 3on3 Allstar game!

Too Risky i tell you!!!

Reactions: Stumbledore

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Ppl actually paid money. This isn't showcasing the nhl at all. It's making them look like they don't give a f***. If new fans are tuning in, they are turning the channel quickly

Reactions: Jets 31

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think I'm done with watching the All Star games.
I fully support the no contact/don't take risks mind set for the game.
But there's no reason they can't try harder.
Guys literally let up to allow break aways and odd man rushes to happen.
I can't imagine paying money to travel as a fan to see your "players" representing your team and get this for that investment. The unspoked rule of let the offense go without any kind of defending doesn't make it more exciting, it makes it suck.

The first several minutes of the final game (Central vs Atlantic) looked like our team was trying to throw the game. The Atlantic wasn't trying any harder but their opponents just kept handing them the puck over and over despite the complete lack of any defensive pressure. What was there about 5 goals in the last 2 minutes of the game? It feels like they are trying to simulate hockey (ala wrestling to fighting).

Aside from finding out what players are named to the team I have no use for this event anymore.
May as well just have the players be represented by kids. Period 1 could be U8, period 2 U10 & period 3 U13 or something. They'd definitely try harder then the NHL'ers.

Rant over.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think I'm done with watching the All Star games.
I fully support the no contact/don't take risks mind set for the game.
But there's no reason they can't try harder.
Guys literally let up to allow break aways and odd man rushes to happen.
I can't imagine paying money to travel as a fan to see your "players" representing your team and get this for that investment. The unspoked rule of let the offense go without any kind of defending doesn't make it more exciting, it makes it suck.

The first several minutes of the final game (Central vs Atlantic) looked like our team was trying to throw the game. The Atlantic wasn't trying any harder but their opponents just kept handing them the puck over and over despite the complete lack of any defensive pressure. What was there about 5 goals in the last 2 minutes of the game? It feels like they are trying to simulate hockey (ala wrestling to fighting).

Aside from finding out what players are named to the team I have no use for this event anymore.
May as well just have the players be represented by kids. Period 1 could be U8, period 2 U10 & period 3 U13 or something. They'd definitely try harder then the NHL'ers.

Rant over.
Don't forget the players don't want to play the allstar game in cold climates too. Thank god we live in Winnipeg because then that joke of a game will never be played here.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Don't forget the players don't want to play the allstar game in cold climates too. Thank god we live in Winnipeg because then that joke of a game will never be played here.

It's in Toronto next year and it was -28 there the other day. I think next year we might see even more players get a slight injury a couple of days before the weekend if the weather is similar.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The 1.0 Jets were supposed to host the draft before the decision to sell and relocate the team happened. I wonder if True North would ever get that?

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it's ass backwards. Right now there is no NFL to compete with, absolutely nothing stopping the NHL from grabbing the spotlight, but this self imposed break that every team gets during the year.

For me start the season a week earlier than Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. October is hockey season. You can condense roughly 35 games up until the Christmas break, then take a one week pause from Christmas Eve until the 30th, league wide, give players some time with their families while all families are home. Let fans watch World Juniors, NFL gets exciting at this time too. Then go back to work New Year's Eve, have your annual outdoor New Year's game, on both sides of the border! and then go for it to the stretch maybe finish the season a week earlier or keep it the same but have a few more practice days down the stretch. Playoffs should be over before the onset of summer. Have the All Star game after the season, like the Pro Bowl. It's a meaningless game, and stopping the season right in the heart of it just takes away from the excitement that the playoff races are generating.

Better yet, don't play an All-Star game. It will never be a good event.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So we play the Blues on Monday January 30th and our next game is Saturday Feb 11th (12 f***ing days later). All for some putrid non hockey event because the NHL has no idea what entertainment is. How does zero Jets hockey for 12 days in the coldest part of our winter make any sense from a business perspective??

Brain dead leadership.

:rant:

:wally

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Better yet, don't play an All-Star game. It will never be a good event.
I wonder if there's a correlation between allstar games and free agent signings the next summer haha

So we play the Blues on Monday January 30th and our next game is Saturday Feb 11th (12 f***ing days later). All for some putrid non hockey event because the NHL has no idea what entertainment is. How does zero Jets hockey for 12 days in the coldest part of our winter make any sense from a business perspective??

Brain dead leadership.

:rant:

:wally
Makes a lot of sense forbthe players to skip it and party in Florida...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder if there's a correlation between allstar games and free agent signings the next summer haha

Makes a lot of sense forbthe players to skip it and party in Florida...

I get the attraction of a family holiday for the NHL players mid season but they do get 3 to 5 months off every spring summer to catch up for the lost time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad