Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I mean, he was on a golf cart. People have been pulled over for driving ride on lawn mowers down the street whilst drunk. It's still a motorised vehicle. Apparently that was in a Beach area as well? It's not a golf course.
Yes… golf courses. The places where driving a cart drunk is 100% legal even if it includes crossing the highway. Manitoba’s liquor laws are pretty antiquated compared to other provinces and the hypocrisy of the golf course exemption is beyond dumb.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It might be a contender for worst period by the Jets this season, but it's not close to the worst Jets game/period since 2011, and definitely not the worst period by "any team, anywhere, ever" just this season alone.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

I will amend my worst ever, any team, anywhere. I once watched a pro old-timers team play a bunch of beer league guys in a charity fundraiser. The old pros could do anything they wanted, as you would expect.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Two in fact

The funny thing is at the All Star Events he can only be referred to as “Moose”. I guess Mick E Moose is to close to a certain mouse.

They should let Benny in the game.
Who ever True North sends in the Moose suit is a pretty good player. Some of the mascots can barely move which is hilarious in its own right.
Wait… you’re telling me there’s someone IN the Moose suit?!

All this time and I thought it was just a real moose

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015

Tell me you have never watched Tyler Myers play hockey without telling me you have never watched Tyler Myers play hockey.

Indeed.

Teams who like TM's "nastiness" are going to have to wait longer than the summer. They're gonna have to wait for a player who isn't Tyler Myers.

OTOH, we could sell them the real deal in our very own oak Tree.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Mark Stone needing surgery again on his back which is never a good thing for a guy that turns 31 in May. I don’t like Vegas but I am a huge Stone fan and IMO he is the straw that stirs the drink for that team.
How is Stone already almost 31? We’re getting old, man.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How is Stone already almost 31? We’re getting old, man.

That ship has sailed for ps (hey Boomer) a long time ago :laugh:.

I do find the passage of time facinating.

Little bright eyes the kid we drafted when we got our team back will be 30 in 6 weeks.

Jets 2.0 are in our 12th season (wow)

WHA Jets only played for 7 seasons `

Jets 1.0 started in the NHL as the 80’s dawned and they played 16 seasons before heading to Phoenix.

4 seasons from now Jets 2.0 will have been around as long as NHL 1.0

Its all star week and this useless info is what happens to my brain without hockey.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
That's what happens in baseball. Home advantage for Nat'l vs American in the World Series. It gives some meaning to it.
Again though that's a non contact sport so you can get away with a decent game. The NFL pro bowl at the end of the season is still a joke to watch because nobody wants to get hurt. The NHL should just name the players at the end of the season like the CFL and that's it.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I mean, he was on a golf cart. People have been pulled over for driving ride on lawn mowers down the street whilst drunk. It's still a motorised vehicle. Apparently that was in a Beach area as well? It's not a golf course.
Go to Carman on Men's night. LOL. It's been a while since I worked in that town but men's night golf was notorious as many owned their own golf carts and their solution to drinking and driving was to leave the automobile at home and use the cart to go to and from. In one sense they were being responsible but the local RCMP detachment was less than amused. Ah, Carman...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am surprised the don’t give half the teams a week off at a time. Have some games going on through the week.

You could have two divisions, playing each other instead of the conferences

That would be too smart
I think they do some version of this. Teams played games up until Wednesday February 1 and the league starts up again Monday February 6. So 1 day off prior to the NHL Skills Competition and 1 day off following the ALL Star 3-3 Tournament. Not all teams are on a 1 week break like the Jets this week.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Feels like some insider trading BS on Wallstreet.
67B1D859-0E6F-4B6C-AA75-39E5A41EA0BD.jpeg

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Is it just me but does the “skills“ competition, which used to be super cool presentation in my opinion, just get more and more idiotic and unentertaining each and every season?

I could not even get through the second event it was so boring plus stupidly designed. The NHL knows how to waste my time!:thumbd:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is it just me but does the “skills“ competition, which used to be super cool presentation in my opinion, just get more and more idiotic and unentertaining each and every season?

I could not even get through the second event it was so boring plus stupidly designed. The NHL knows how to waste my time!:thumbd:

The NHL all star week is brand damaging IMO but the NHL struggles with managing Brand.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Just the most terribly run pro sports league. Could be so much better
So when does Bettman step down? He's been there for 30 years, longest serving head of any league anywhere, he's over 70. Isn't it time he rode off into the sunset?

And would the league just internally promote someone who would continue Bettman's half-assed ideas?

Or would the owners make things worse with Bettman's grip removed?

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So when does Bettman step down? He's been there for 30 years, longest serving head of any league anywhere, he's over 70. Isn't it time he rode off into the sunset?

And would the league just internally promote someone who would continue Bettman's half-assed ideas?

Or would the owners make things worse with Bettman's grip removed?
Yes please. Bring in someone forward thinking. The best leagues don't sacrifice their hard core fans to try and get new ones, that's folly. They keep their product strong and build from that fanbase.

Your best advertising for something is your loyal customers, the parents that bring kids up with hockey, and pay for their participation. Your best friends who get you into it, not some razzle dazzle.

I was talking to a buddy while playing yesterday and we were both talking about how growing up we lived hockey, watching any game or show about it. Now, he doesnt watch the nhl hardly at all because they've taken hitting and fighting out of it, and many games are boring as shit. If they would have actually went all in and actually encouraged skill play by taking interference and stick fouls out of the game they might have done something good but now the game is in this terrible middle ground.

Reactions: Fairview

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yes please. Bring in someone forward thinking. The best leagues don't sacrifice their hard core fans to try and get new ones, that's folly. They keep their product strong and build from that fanbase.

Your best advertising for something is your loyal customers, the parents that bring kids up with hockey, and pay for their participation. Your best friends who get you into it, not some razzle dazzle.

I was talking to a buddy while playing yesterday and we were both talking about how growing up we lived hockey, watching any game or show about it. Now, he doesnt watch the nhl hardly at all because they've taken hitting and fighting out of it, and many games are boring as shit. If they would have actually went all in and actually encouraged skill play by taking interference and stick fouls out of the game they might have done something good but now the game is in this terrible middle ground.

The climate is shifting though. There's no way reintroducing things like fighting and hitting as spectacles is going to make the sport more popular given what we know about CTE.

As for taking interference and stick fouls out of the game entirely, one, that's more of a reffing issue than a rules issue since they are already penalties, and two, it's ironic given the constant complaints about the All-Star Game, because imagine a full season of that.

There are lots of reasons why hockey is struggling to pull in new audiences but none of those reasons are going to be things fans of the Jets like and/or some HF posters will like either.

Reactions: Jet and Jack7222

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hockey is losing the young generation because its too expensive for kids to play now. Parents need bank loans just to keep their kid in hockey. I can't remember the last time i saw kids playing street hockey, we used to play all day and night when i was a young kid.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The climate is shifting though. There's no way reintroducing things like fighting and hitting as spectacles is going to make the sport more popular given what we know about CTE.

As for taking interference and stick fouls out of the game entirely, one, that's more of a reffing issue than a rules issue since they are already penalties, and two, it's ironic given the constant complaints about the All-Star Game, because imagine a full season of that.

There are lots of reasons why hockey is struggling to pull in new audiences but none of those reasons are going to be things fans of the Jets like and/or some HF posters will like either.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong, as much as I loved the physical nature of hockey I care more about player health and am a strong proponent of safety.

My issue is that they've got hockey in a middle ground now where they allow dangerous things to happen and things that show the game down and allow less skilled players to cheat to equalize.

If they called something to a standard and adequately held their officials to it, they could remove it from the game but there never seems to be the dedication to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad