Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Question, does St Laurent ref us better now without Maurice?

Only 4 games refereed by St Laurent since Maurice resigned, 3 of which were with Dave Lowry and only 1 with Bowness.

DateVsScore/ResultPenalties AgainstPenalties ForNotes
Lowry
Jan. 22, 2022Boston3-2 Loss24+2 Fighting majors
Mar. 20, 2022Chicago6-4 Win23
Apr. 21, 2022Carolina4-2 Loss63Failed challenge bench minor
Bowness
Oct. 20, 2022Vegas5-2 Loss31

I think it's just game to game variance and I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same with Maurice behind the bench. I can see the argument that St. Laurent might've made calls a lot tighter after tossing Maurice but I'd be skeptical of calling it bias.

Reactions: flyingkiwi

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
That's their opinion. I think scratching him would've sent a positive message, especially in this case since Torts once said he would bench players who knelt during the anthem and Provorov used his religion to explain why he didn't wear it while he ignores other things his church is against, such as cohabitation before marriage.

With Colin Kapernick, he made a public protest by kneeling. If he did what Provorov did (stayed in the locker room), I don’t think it would have been such a big issue… but that was the whole point about why Kap did it... to make it into a big discussion.

If Provorov did his warm-up in a regular Philly jersey, that would have been more like what Kap did.

For whatever reason, Provorov was not comfortable wearing the rainbow jersey (whether religion or otherwise).

I don’t think sitting him out for the game would have been a positive move. It’s demonizing a player because he didn’t give lip service to the event.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Would any of that change if the homophobes you played with/against wore a rainbow jersey once a year in a warm-up?

Wouldn’t you view those players as hypocrites?

I don’t think you further your community acceptance by being militant and demonizing Provorov over that.
Right, because some kid wearing a rainbow jersey is equal to an nhler doing it.

You don't see that the nhl promoting lbgtq+ inclusion trickles down to all levels?

As i said before, if I believed that Provorov was a dedicated religious person I'd give him a pass. However, far too many people use religion as a shield to be bigots.

Provorovs hill to die on is a rainbow jersey? I'm guessing he doesn't play hockey in Sundays or Friday nights, right?

None

Feb 22, 2012
You really don't get it. I'm assuming you are in a group that is accepted as normal or desired in society.

What he did is in his own way say that gay people are wrong, and he doesn't support gay people playing hockey - which is why the team was wearing rainbow jerseys.

Diversity means understanding people that differ from you and being an advocate for inclusion even if you don't subscribe to their beliefs.

You are welcome to your beliefs - but when you have a stage that influences kids and society, you have a duty to send the correct message.

Are you saying that gay people are lesser?

I think the crux of the Provorov issue is that he's taking a stand against something that people don't choose. It's furthering the opinion that it's okay to further marginalize already marginalized people for parts of their life they don't control. It's a bit of a slippery slope if you let people believe they can dismiss someone for something they have zero control over. It's the same argument towards allowing hate groups like the KKK to exist and I think the vast majority of people can understand why racism is bad.

Ask a straight person when they chose to be straight. As a straight person I couldn't tell you, because I didn't choose who I was attracted to when puberty hit. I think there's a misconception on here that it's a lifestyle choice to be LGBTQ+; that it's just a belief.

It's about right to exist and Provorov's actions showed he'd prefer if you don't, I don't even think that's debatable.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With Colin Kapernick, he made a public protest by kneeling. If he did what Provorov did (stayed in the locker room), I don’t think it would have been such a big issue… but that was the whole point about why Kap did it... to make it into a big discussion.

If Provorov did his warm-up in a regular Philly jersey, that would have been more like what Kap did.

For whatever reason, Provorov was not comfortable wearing the rainbow jersey (whether religion or otherwise).

I don’t think sitting him out for the game would have been a positive move. It’s demonizing a player because he didn’t give lip service to the event.

I think where this kind of argument fails is that it assumes that the league and advertisers etc etc don't really want to do this kind of thing, they just do because of some fringe, loud groups. Tells for this kind of assumption include using terms like "woke" and "virtue signalling". Your use of "lip service" makes me think you subscribe to this way of thinking.

What Kap did started the discussion. Teams en masse, afterwards, DID stay inside the locker room until the national anthem was over. That was a big story.

Here's the thing: to me, it's unbelievable in 2023 that anyone wouldn't know that by not coming out in the jersey, it's going to be a discussion point. Also, I'm sure any professional sports team has competent PR staff (though that might be giving the Flyers a bit too much credit, they seem to be a bit of a mess), that would know that the message being sent by not coming out is being against LGBTQ+ rights and would tell the team that beforehand. Wearing his regular jersey or not coming out for warmies at all sends the same message, especially today.

The whole lip service argument also fails on his explanation after the game - not that he thought that we need to keep these social issues out of hockey, but that his religious beliefs prevent him from supporting LGBTQ+ messages.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
I like these Brackets

1674066829350.jpeg

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Right, because some kid wearing a rainbow jersey is equal to an nhler doing it.

You don't see that the nhl promoting lbgtq+ inclusion trickles down to all levels?

As i said before, if I believed that Provorov was a dedicated religious person I'd give him a pass. However, far too many people use religion as a shield to be bigots.

Provorovs hill to die on is a rainbow jersey? I'm guessing he doesn't play hockey in Sundays or Friday nights, right?

You think all NHL players wearing a rainbow jersey support the LBGTQ community? There are players that do it because they don’t want to deal with any fallout like Provorov. It’s a virtue signalling event with some of the participants that aren’t actually supporters.

You’re quick to throw out words like “bigot”. Not wearing a rainbow shirt or not marching in a pride event doesn’t make someone a bigot.

Provorov didn’t have to give a reason for not participating. Labelling and demonizing him over that is very aggressive and does more harm to your community.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think the crux of the Provorov issue is that he's taking a stand against something that people don't choose. It's furthering the opinion that it's okay to further marginalize already marginalized people for parts of their life they don't control. It's a bit of a slippery slope if you let people believe they can dismiss someone for something they have zero control over. It's the same argument towards allowing hate groups like the KKK to exist and I think the vast majority of people can understand why racism is bad.

Ask a straight person when they chose to be straight. As a straight person I couldn't tell you, because I didn't choose who I was attracted to when puberty hit. I think there's a misconception on here that it's a lifestyle choice to be LGBTQ+; that it's just a belief.

It's about right to exist and Provorov's actions showed he'd prefer if you don't, I don't even think that's debatable.

This should be obvious in today's world but it isn't. I hate that he used the religious argument as well as it just reeks of hypocrisy. The Bible says its ok to have slaves but we know today that it isn't and it is accepted that that part of the bible is wrong. But when people pick and choose out of a 2000 year old book as a hill to die on is just so weak

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I do apologize if I've stoked a while thing on a hockey board that is generally supposed to be fun.

What triggered me was his use of religion as a shield to hide his bigotry. Picking and choosing which rules and teachings in a religion that align with your own feelings is a sham.

Again, I go back to extramarital sex, use of contraception, working on Friday nights and Sunday, eating meat on Friday and on and on. Why is a rainbow jersey his stand up moment?

It's fairly obvious. I would have much rather had him come out and say he was a homophobe.

And with that, I'll stfu about it.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
It seems like a lot of people have issues understanding a simple concept. Exclusion, inequality, discrimination, and hate towards any segment of the population for something out of their control (skin colour/race, orientation, gender, physical condition, etc.) is wrong and should not be tolerated. If your beliefs are intolerant of any being who falls under this category, your beliefs are shit and should not be respected. Pretty simple.

The lack of empathy that some posters display isn't surprising; however, it is extremely sad.

I do apologize if I've stoked a while thing on a hockey board that is generally supposed to be fun.

What triggered me was his use of religion as a shield to hide his bigotry. Picking and choosing which rules and teachings in a religion that align with your own feelings is a sham.

Again, I go back to extramarital sex, use of contraception, working on Friday nights and Sunday, eating meat on Friday and on and on. Why is a rainbow jersey his stand up moment?

It's fairly obvious. I would have much rather had him come out and say he was a homophobe.

And with that, I'll stfu about it.

Bigots love to hide behind religion, it's one of the main attractions.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Funny to see people who have barely posted this season on HFJets come out of the woodworks to have takes defending Provorov.

The Jets are in first place. What divisive Jets topic is there to discuss to make the forums entertaining?

Everyone is happy. Echo chambers are booooring!

Reactions: Buffdog

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Who the f*** honestly cares? Prov can do what he wants but it is nothing but hypocrisy using religion to hide behind. Honestly the only people that tend to care about these events being “virtue signaling” are people that don’t accept others that are different from them when it’s really none of your dam business. It truly has no impact on you. Wearing a jersey during warmups is such a small and petty hill to die on. It’s extremely closed minded.

Haywire

Oct 9, 2019
Don't pretend that since the war started, people havent been piling on hate for anyone who's Russian. They want them all kicked out of the NHL. Putin's an asshole, don't lump everyone into the same group.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think posts like this highlight the fact that things like rainbow warm up jerseys and showing LGBTQ+ acceptance are not political stances no matter how much people try to spin it as some "political statement" or some pick and choose religious reasons.

Making groups of people feel excluded because of who they are isn't just a political disagreement.

People's rights shouldn't be a political statement, but here we are.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

maurice might have a legit case since the ref was Francois St Laurent and we all know his work

Good on Maurice to call out that POS ref … that’s total BS and the ref should be fired.
I noticed TSN/SN talking about a jersey instead of the real story that effects the league.
I have also noticed a few times where the Leafs get the benefit of poor officiating and win games especially during their long winning streak but heaven forbid if the leafs lose on a bad call the media goes on for days about the call.
In a 7 game series they don’t get all PPs maybe that’s why they never advance past the first round.
Well we will see tomorrow how many calls or non calls happen.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
All for the fans being upset, but the hypocritical "big" NHL/sports media can f*** off with this after Qatar. Sure didn't care about LGTBQ when billions were being thrown around.

That is FIFA which is corrupt as hell. Doesn't mean I have to accept that shit here. The more we allow facism to come in, the more they are going to slide back into things like banning alternative lifestyles or abortions or being a different color/race/religion

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
All for the fans being upset, but the hypocritical "big" NHL/sports media can f*** off with this after Qatar. Sure didn't care about LGTBQ when billions were being thrown around.

Agreed. I gave them 0 of my time and energy because FIFA is corrupt, and Qatar is somwhow worse.

Don't pretend that since the war started, people havent been piling on hate for anyone who's Russian. They want them all kicked out of the NHL. Putin's an asshole, don't lump everyone into the same group.

I got in trouble the last time I touched on this subject, but all I'll say is the most famous Russian in the NHL is also on team Putin.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Honestly I have no f***ing idea where you are going with this. I don't speak for all people. To me this has f*** all to do with Provorov's birth origin, though there is something to be learned about how Russia treats LGBTQ+ people. That doesn't mean ALL Russians feel that way - many Russians are against the war, too.

However, when someone uses religion to basically say gay people shouldn't exist because my religion forbids it whilst conveniently ignoring any of that religions rules that forbids him for doing things he likes, it doesn't take a scholar to figure out where his real motivations lie.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
That is FIFA which is corrupt as hell. Doesn't mean I have to accept that shit here. The more we allow facism to come in, the more they are going to slide back into things like banning alternative lifestyles or abortions or being a different color/race/religion

It wasn't just FIFA. FIFA defended it the whole time because they're garbage. Sports media made a show of caring for a day then ignored it because they don't care enough to upset their income streams.

Are you big NHL/Sports media? You're a hockey forum moderator, I wasn't calling out you or anyone on the board :laugh:

Again I'm all for fans and people on here being upset. They should be, same with the few sports media who were hammering Qatar the whole world cup. But for sports journalists who were screeching about how great the world cup was going on the literal bodies of migrant workers worked to death and as fans were being forced to remove any rainbow colored clothing and players were threatened with suspensions for wearing rainbow colored arm bands? Nah. f*** em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad