Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg

maurice might have a legit case since the ref was Francois St Laurent and we all know his work

This is just another excuse from Maurice if he is referring to St. Laurent. The Little/Stralman hit happened on Feb 25 2016, and I know the optics were bad. Every Jets fan wanted to strangle St.Laurent, but I feel he only laughed at the face-off because Buff was probably cracking wise to St.Laurent about how mad Maurice was at him.

The Jets record when St.Laurent reffed their game:
15/16 - 1-3 * season the hit happened.
16-17 - 3-2
17/18 - 5-0
18/19 - 4-0
19-20 - 3-2
20-21 - 4-0
21-22 - 2-2

If anything, folks should be questioning St.Laurent's bias towards the Jets.

What this doesn't show is if St.Laurent called more penalties against the Jets in any given game and the Jets just overcame the odds to win anyway, but one can't complain about the results.

Images copied from Scouting The Refs
T8Be3In.png

u9Phceg.png
rR30bmk.png

The 19/20 is shown as 2 different records on 2 different images. The first one is from half way through the season, the 2nd is for the whole season. So, in 19/20 the Jets had a record of 3-2 for the season when St. Laurent reffed our game.

Geez, I hope I got all these numbers right.:crossfing

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This is just another excuse from Maurice if he is referring to St. Laurent. The Little/Stralman hit happened on Feb 25 2016, and I know the optics were bad. Every Jets fan wanted to strangle St.Laurent, but I feel he only laughed at the face-off because Buff was probably cracking wise to St.Laurent about how mad Maurice was at him.

The Jets record when St.Laurent reffed their game:
15/16 - 1-3 * season the hit happened.
16-17 - 3-2
17/18 - 5-0
18/19 - 4-0
19-20 - 3-2
20-21 - 4-0
21-22 - 2-2

If anything, folks should be questioning St.Laurent's bias towards the Jets.

What this doesn't show is if St.Laurent called more penalties against the Jets in any given game and the Jets just overcame the odds to win anyway, but one can't complain about the results.

Images copied from Scouting The Refs
T8Be3In.png

u9Phceg.png
rR30bmk.png

The 19/20 is shown as 2 different records on 2 different images. The first one is from half way through the season, the 2nd is for the whole season. So, in 19/20 the Jets had a record of 3-2 for the season when St. Laurent reffed our game.

Geez, I hope I got all these numbers right.:crossfing

I think it's an excuse too but I can see a world where Maurice says something about the calls and St Laurent decides to be extra tight on the Panthers. They did get 3 penalties in the 1st 12-13 minutes so I can definitely imagine Maurice saying something.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
His actual profession is about presenting whatever management deems best to appeal to advertisers and fans. His refusal to participate was bad for the business. The professional thing to do would have been to put his personal beliefs aside and do what management decided was best for the organization.

I say this as a conservatively minded individual who hates these "virtue signaling" events.

I disagree that someone should put aside their personal beliefs to satisfy a virtue signalling event. Is that what the LQBTQ+ community wants? Window dressing from people participating due to pressure from advertisers?

Provorov did the appropriate thing. He simply did not participate and didn’t make a stink about it.

If my employers told me I had to march in a Gay Pride event and wear a rainbow t-shirt, I wouldn’t. It doesn’t make me a homophobe.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I disagree that someone should put aside their personal beliefs to satisfy a virtue signalling event. Is that what the LQBTQ+ community wants? Window dressing from people participating due to pressure from advertisers?

Provorov did the appropriate thing. He simply did not participate and didn’t make a stink about it.

If my employers told me I had to march in a Gay Pride event and wear a rainbow t-shirt, I wouldn’t. It doesn’t make me a homophobe.

If they were paying me 7 million a year I would happily march in a parade and wear a shirt and shut my homophobe ass up

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Judging by the context on twitter, it seems Ivan Provorov decided not to participate in the pregame skate with the team issued LGBT jersey because it goes against his beliefs. There goes any interest I had in the player whatsoever.
What's worse is the way that the team and league have handled it.

Just goes to show that the NHL could care less about diversity. Example after example of how actions speak louder than words.

I would have NEVER thought the NFL would have an openly gay player before the NHL but you can see by toxic hockey culture why this is.

Well, though Provorov is entitled to his thoughts and beliefs, they don’t align to that of the Jets. Which means I can’t see the Jets pursuing him at all now.

So I’ll turn my attention to wanting the Jets to add Chychrun. Likely a better option and player anyway.
I wonder if we could use Heinola as a centerpiece around a Chychrun deal?

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Punishing someone for their religious beliefs ... wow you guys are tough.
I see Provorov played the most minutes tonight ... good on Torts.
imo I would rather have a leader than a follower.
If I believed for one f***ing second it had anything to do with Provorov's religion I'd give you that. Russians have a long history of homophobia. Does Provorov drink, gamble, had extramarital sex?

If you believe he is a saint who's following his religion religiously then ok but I doubt you really believe that.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Obivously I have skin in the game with this whole Provorov thing but as a gay male growing up I did not participate in high level hockey as a kid because that wasn't something gays did. I was subjected to homophobia time and time again playing (not directed at me because I would kick the shit out of someone) but nonetheless on the ice and in my own dressing room.

It's a f***ing shame because I think I could have been a good hockey player if I was accepted.

This is about kids feeling like they can play hockey and be an NHLer.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Obivously I have skin in the game with this whole Provorov thing but as a gay male growing up I did not participate in high level hockey as a kid because that wasn't something gays did. I was subjected to homophobia time and time again playing (not directed at me because I would kick the shit out of someone) but nonetheless on the ice and in my own dressing room.

It's a f***ing shame because I think I could have been a good hockey player if I was accepted.

This is about kids feeling like they can play hockey and be an NHLer.

I think posts like this highlight the fact that things like rainbow warm up jerseys and showing LGBTQ+ acceptance are not political stances no matter how much people try to spin it as some "political statement" or some pick and choose religious reasons.

Making groups of people feel excluded because of who they are isn't just a political disagreement.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think posts like this highlight the fact that things like rainbow warm up jerseys and showing LGBTQ+ acceptance are not political stances no matter how much people try to spin it as some "political statement" or some pick and choose religious reasons.

Making groups of people feel excluded because of who they are isn't just a political disagreement.
Exactly - I don't want to get political but there is a group that pushes the 'woke is bad' agenda - and trust me, I get really tired of ultra radical talk be it left or right.

However, when people say things like "The Jets should get rid of the dine peoples acknowledgement" at the beginning of the game, it's just such an ignorant stance. Something like that isn't going to fix things, but it is an important step and acknowledgement and a small way to try and get to where we want to be as a society.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Pro Bullshitter Paul Maurice.

Who saw Florida sucking this year? I did

To be fair, Paul isn't the only reason. Their D and goaltending mixed with Paul tho....

Their GM certainly didn't help him tho
Their GM looked like a genius for a hot minute. Now he looks to have scuttled the franchise. That 1st rounder to Montreal - unprotected - for Ben Chairot is brutal.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

Just goes to show that the NHL could care less about diversity. Example after example of how actions speak louder than words.

What does diversity even mean? Clearly diversity doesn't mean toleration of beliefs that differ from your own. How is that diversity? That's just enforced ideological conformity not diversity.

All the player did was quietly decine to show support for something he doesn't believe in. He didn't go on some homophobic rant. If declining to participate is now considered homophobia we have the exact opposite of diversity. Everyone must conform or you're evil.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
If that's because Christians believe being gay is a sin and makes people lesser than, sure. I'm also quite sure that "Christian discrimination" can't hold a candle to LGBT discrimination anyway.

You don't see the inconsistency of your position? It's okay to think that anyone who disagrees with you on LGBT is a lesser person, but it's not okay to think LGBT people are lesser people?

Basically what you are saying is that only those who agree with you deserve rights. I mean if that's you position, you're entitled to it, but don't pretend that's diversity or inclusivity. It's the opposite.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What does diversity even mean? Clearly diversity doesn't mean toleration of beliefs that differ from your own. How is that diversity? That's just enforced ideological conformity not diversity.

All the player did was quietly decine to show support for something he doesn't believe in. He didn't go on some homophobic rant. If declining to participate is now considered homophobia we have the exact opposite of diversity. Everyone must conform or you're evil.
You really don't get it. I'm assuming you are in a group that is accepted as normal or desired in society.

What he did is in his own way say that gay people are wrong, and he doesn't support gay people playing hockey - which is why the team was wearing rainbow jerseys.

Diversity means understanding people that differ from you and being an advocate for inclusion even if you don't subscribe to their beliefs.

You are welcome to your beliefs - but when you have a stage that influences kids and society, you have a duty to send the correct message.

Are you saying that gay people are lesser?

You don't see the inconsistency of your position? It's okay to think that anyone who disagrees with you on LGBT is a lesser person, but it's not okay to think LGBT people are lesser people?

Basically what you are saying is that only those who agree with you deserve rights. I mean if that's you position, you're entitled to it, but don't pretend that's diversity or inclusivity. It's the opposite.
Ahhh ok I get it now. You think that oppression of people is ok if its your belief.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't think people who disagree with me are lesser people. I think their belief that others are lesser people is what I'm against.

Provorov isn't losing any rights here. He's entitled to not wear the jersey, sure. He's not immune to the social consequences of that action. We don't have to respect his position.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I would have NEVER thought the NFL would have an openly gay player before the NHL but you can see by toxic hockey culture why this is.

I wonder if we could use Heinola as a centerpiece around a Chychrun deal?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If they were paying me 7 million a year I would happily march in a parade and wear a shirt and shut my homophobe ass up

I’m sure a poverty striken person from a third world country would say the same thing to a waitress in Canada.

Forcing someone to participate is wrong regardless of your compensation.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and ERYX

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Would any of that change if the homophobes you played with/against wore a rainbow jersey once a year in a warm-up?

Wouldn’t you view those players as hypocrites?

I don’t think you further your community acceptance by being militant and demonizing Provorov over that.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
If an employer asked an employee that identifies as being a member of the LGBTQ community to wear a "I stand With Ukraine" T-Shirt and they said, "No Thank-You." It would be understandable and wouldn't offend me as a Ukrainian Canadian.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Well he wasn't forced to participate and now he and his team is dealing with the PR fallout of that.

Some media peeps think he shouldn’t have been allowed to play in that game. Thoughts?

If an employer asked an employee that identifies as being a member of the LGBTQ community to wear a "I stand With Ukraine" T-Shirt and they said, "No Thank-You." It would be understandable...

But what if the employee made a lot of money and the employer would incur embarrassment with its advertisers?

Should that understanding be abolished in that case?

Rhetorical… of course not.

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
Some media peeps think he shouldn’t have been allowed to play in that game. Thoughts?

But what if the employee made a lot of money and the employer would incur embarrassment with its advertisers?

Should that understanding be abolished in that case?

Rhetorical… of course not.

The amount of $ Is irrelevant and a moot point.

Reactions: Guffman

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

That's their opinion. I think scratching him would've sent a positive message, especially in this case since Torts once said he would bench players who knelt during the anthem and Provorov used his religion to explain why he didn't wear it while he ignores other things his church is against, such as cohabitation before marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad