Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
the issue that i see is that they shouldn't have signed him in the first place. they should've traded him at the end of the last year. i get that Bruce came in had them playing at a high-level, however, it seems like they haven't really instilled confidence or been on the same page as him. he got that team to overperform imo.

as for JT Miller let's say he's unsigned. he's currently playing at a 72 pt pace, 255 pts in 245 gp or 85 pts/82 gp player in 4 seasons in VAN. goals/points are usual drivers of salary. what does that production get you on the open market? i'm gonna guess it still in the 8's. i definitely would not have done 7-years though.
Oh yeah, they paid him fair market value based on his numbers - but Rutherford is arguing against doing that for Horvat...I think they offered $5M x 8 over the summer? That dog ain't gonna hunt!

Reactions: surixon and DRW204

None

Feb 22, 2012
right, im just saying i think he gets 8M or v close to on the open market based on his recent production. i just dont think VAN should've been the ones signing him to that.

Like you said, UFA vs RFA years, and JT Miller has been a higher producer in recent years and overall career-to-date PPG than what Monahan did prior to signing that deal. even then, 7.2 vs 8M, not a big difference really. Filip Forsberg and Landeskog's recent deals might be better comparisons? edit: Zibanejad as well.

Just reinforces that it's nigh impossible to add to a core if you get involved in open market contract negotiations.

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I like the fact that we are getting more recognition because most of our conference rivals will play us harder to keep pace or gain ground and conversely our players will be going harder to stay on top.
This is a perfect scenario
JKi.gif

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just reinforces that it's nigh impossible to add to a core if you get involved in open market contract negotiations.
idk about impossible. id say TBL and COL have done fairly well in recent years.

None

Feb 22, 2012
idk about impossible. id say TBL and COL have done fairly well in recent years.

I did preface impossible with nigh, so while it is possible there's going to be teams that beat the odds and succeed while maneuvering the open market. I think being a destination market like Tampa probably helps in Tampa's case, it took a long time to build that team up to where it is though and that was primarily through the draft.
Both teams have also been willing to move on from players that maybe haven't been the right fit.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I did preface impossible with nigh, so while it is possible there's going to be teams that beat the odds and succeed while maneuvering the open market. I think being a destination market like Tampa probably helps in Tampa's case, it took a long time to build that team up to where it is though and that was primarily through the draft.
Both teams have also been willing to move on from players that maybe haven't been the right fit.
Oh sorry. Missed that.

Yes, I'd say most teams atleast cup contenders are not yearly big players through ufa. Simply can't do it there's not enough money. That's why I get a bit of a kick out of the whole jets are a "draft and develop" team as if it's something unique that they're doing. Going back to COL and TBL it's draft, or trade for unheralded players (often analytic darlings) , and perhaps sign off the scrap heap (nichushkin, gourde, johnson for example)

Reactions: surixon and None

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Short version:

1) Tochett is probably already hired but has to give 4 weeks notice so Bruce is essentially a fired coach coaching for another few weeks. Rutherford today admitted to talking to coaching candidates for the last month.

2) Had the Dr. Out trying explain the Hughes Pearson comments.

3) Blasted all the bad contracts on the team, except the one he signed Miller to.

4) Said he wasn't happy with his job and underestimated what was needed
Hilarious.

Boudreau is getting a raw deal.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hadn't realized how good of a year Vince Dunn was having. Once upon a time, wanted him on the Jets when STL was looking at moving him. 8 goals and 32 pts good for 11th in dmen scoring in 23 mins a night and a +29 at 5v5.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hadn't realized how good of a year Vince Dunn was having. Once upon a time, wanted him on the Jets when STL was looking at moving him. 8 goals and 32 pts good for 11th in dmen scoring in 23 mins a night and a +29 at 5v5.

He's going to be expensive for them this summer. Good young player, I also was interested in him.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I understand that Boudreau is getting huge money. He always has, but under better circumstances he was also able to field decent teams. In this case his hands are tied. As competitive as he is (thinking of the famous "darn" gif when he was with Minny in the Jets playoff series in 2018), and money notwithstanding, this has got to hurt. No one who is worth a pinch of coonshit wants to go out this way.

None

Feb 22, 2012
You've heard about quiet quitting, but now the Canucks are proud to present Quiet firing!

If only they were quiet about it, Rutherford's one step from getting on his soapbox and telling the world Boudreau hates puppies.

I understand that Boudreau is getting huge money. He always has, but under better circumstances he was also able to field decent teams. In this case his hands are tied. As competitive as he is (thinking of the famous "darn" gif when he was with Minny in the Jets playoff series in 2018), and money notwithstanding, this has got to hurt. No one who is worth a pinch of coonshit wants to go out this way.

He's not even making a ton as far as current coaching salaries go.

Coach (Team)Average value (Million USD)Term (Years)Total (Millions)
Todd McClellan (LAK)5525
Peter Laviolette (WSH)4.9314.7
Bruce Cassidy (VGK)4.5522.5
Pete DeBoer (DAL)4.25417
John Tortorella (PHI)4416
Paul Maurice (FLA)3.9415.6
Gerrard Gallant (NYR)3.5414
Craig Berube (STL)3.5310.5
Martin St. Louis (MTL)339
Rick Bowness (WPG)2.66738
Bruce Boudreau (VAN)2.52 (1+1 Coach & Club option year)5
Jared Bednar (COL)2.2524.5
Jim Montgomery (BOS)236
Jay Woodcroft (EDM)236
Luke Richardson (CHI)1.546
(Source: Capfriendly, whose sources are mostly tweets from insiders)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If only they were quiet about it, Rutherford's one step from getting on his soapbox and telling the world Boudreau hates puppies.

He's not even making a ton as far as current coaching salaries go.

Coach (Team)Average value (Million USD)Term (Years)Total (Millions)
Todd McClellan (LAK)5525
Peter Laviolette (WSH)4.9314.7
Bruce Cassidy (VGK)4.5522.5
Pete DeBoer (DAL)4.25417
John Tortorella (PHI)4416
Paul Maurice (FLA)3.9415.6
Gerrard Gallant (NYR)3.5414
Craig Berube (STL)3.5310.5
Martin St. Louis (MTL)339
Rick Bowness (WPG)2.66738
Bruce Boudreau (VAN)2.52 (1+1 Coach & Club option year)5
Jared Bednar (COL)2.2524.5
Jim Montgomery (BOS)236
Jay Woodcroft (EDM)236
Luke Richardson (CHI)1.546
(Source: Capfriendly, whose sources are mostly tweets from insiders)
Bones is a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad