Around the NHL 10 - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Vancouver board has a bunch of very recent quotes that paint Tocchet as hilariously out of touch. Rutherford might be speedrunning a complete team exodus, seemingly worse than Benning somehow, and in the realm of recent catastrophic managements like Paul Fenton and Peter Chiarelli.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Vancouver board has a bunch of very recent quotes that paint Tocchet as hilariously out of touch. Rutherford might be speedrunning a complete team exodus, seemingly worse than Benning somehow, and in the realm of recent catastrophic managements like Paul Fenton and Peter Chiarelli.
My goodness gravy, I’m just at work right now, what am I missing?!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Paul Fenton. What a terrible hire that was lol. Luckily for Minnesota, they moved on pretty swiftly, and Guerin has been pretty solid id say.

Reactions: None

None

Feb 22, 2012
Paul Fenton. What a terrible hire that was lol. Luckily for Minnesota, they moved on pretty swiftly, and Guerin has been pretty solid id say.

Rutherford has come across as resentful that Boudreau was kept when he was brought in and now that he gets to bring in his own guys it kind of reinforces the comparison to Fenton. Tocchet was hired as Arizona's head coach after joining the Penguins as an assistant in 14-15, which was also not so coincidentally the same season that Jim Rutherford joined the Pens. Adding to that they're also bringing in Sergei Gonchar who was a defensive development coach during Rutherford's tenure in Pittsburgh.

As a player how do you get comfortable in a situation like that? An entirely avoidable situation if you found a GM that had even an ounce of respect for the guy who took a .360 Pts% team under Travis Green and turned them into a .650 Pts% team. Rutherford confirmed that they've been looking for a replacement for "months" :laugh:. The lack of professionalism is astounding.
The chaos that Rutherford has brought is clearly affecting the on ice product, was the dysfunction worth it to get his guys a few seasons of salary?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Rutherford has come across as resentful that Boudreau was kept when he was brought in and now that he gets to bring in his own guys it kind of reinforces the comparison to Fenton. Tocchet was hired as Arizona's head coach after joining the Penguins as an assistant in 14-15, which was also not so coincidentally the same season that Jim Rutherford joined the Pens. Adding to that they're also bringing in Sergei Gonchar who was a defensive development coach during Rutherford's tenure in Pittsburgh.

As a player how do you get comfortable in a situation like that? An entirely avoidable situation if you found a GM that had even an ounce of respect for the guy who took a .360 Pts% team under Travis Green and turned them into a .650 Pts% team. Rutherford confirmed that they've been looking for a replacement for "months" :laugh:. The lack of professionalism is astounding.
The chaos that Rutherford has brought is clearly affecting the on ice product, was the dysfunction worth it to get his guys a few seasons of salary?

Yeah that org is just horribly run right now. I might think that TNSE is too loyal at times but they treat their employees with respect and dignity and I think that goes along ways.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My goodness gravy, I’m just at work right now, what am I missing?!

Short version:

1) Tochett is probably already hired but has to give 4 weeks notice so Bruce is essentially a fired coach coaching for another few weeks. Rutherford today admitted to talking to coaching candidates for the last month.

2) Had the Dr. Out trying explain the Hughes Pearson comments.

3) Blasted all the bad contracts on the team, except the one he signed Miller to.

4) Said he wasn't happy with his job and underestimated what was needed

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yeah that org is just horribly run right now. I might think that TNSE is too loyal at times but they treat their employees with respect and dignity and I think that goes along ways.

It's not even a secret anymore, every big talking head is saying that Tocchet has already essentially been hired, his assistants chosen and the talk now is that they're going to drag Bruce Boudreau along for another week or two before firing him because they don't have their ducks in a row.

What an embarrassing organization, the fans deserve far better.

None

Feb 22, 2012
3) Blasted all the bad contracts on the team, except the one he signed Miller to.

Emphasis on the fair market offer to Horvat that's apparently in the ~6.5-7 million AAV range :laugh:

And given that they offered 5.125*8 in the summer according to Frank Seravalli, Rutherford just comes across looking like a buffoon. It was actually less than what he was previously signed to.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Emphasis on the fair market offer to Horvat that's apparently in the ~6.5-7 million AAV range :laugh:

And given that they offered 5.125*8 in the summer according to Frank Seravalli, Rutherford just comes across looking like a buffoon. It was actually less than what he was previously signed to.

Yeah there is a reason Bo's leaving at the end of the year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

JR must be stuck in 2010 with that kind of offer. horvat is playing at a 57 goal/91 pt pace. he is going to to handily eclipse that offer.

None

Feb 22, 2012

Is the implication there that Rutherford is suggesting that the paying ticket holders aren't upset with the team, but that they're friends or family of fired employees?

Everything makes sense if that's the case. Rutherford lives in an echo chamber.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
You don't pay a guy full market based on one career year, says the GM who just paid JT Miller full market based on his career year... :laugh:
i agree. at the same time, JT Miller did have 118 pts in 122 gp prior to last season as a Canuck, or 79 pt/82 gp player. i think players in that range roughly would go for 8M 🤷‍♂️.

None

Feb 22, 2012
i agree. at the same time, JT Miller did have 118 pts in 122 gp prior to last season as a Canuck, or 79 pt/82 gp player. i think players in that range roughly would go for 8M 🤷‍♂️.

Biggest issue is that he still had a year remaining on his previous deal. They absolutely should have waited.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Biggest issue is that he still had a year remaining on his previous deal. They absolutely should have waited.
the issue that i see is that they shouldn't have signed him in the first place. they should've traded him at the end of the last year. i get that Bruce came in had them playing at a high-level, however, it seems like they haven't really instilled confidence or been on the same page as him. he got that team to overperform imo.

as for JT Miller let's say he's unsigned. he's currently playing at a 72 pt pace, 255 pts in 245 gp or 85 pts/82 gp player in 4 seasons in VAN. goals/points are usual drivers of salary. what does that production get you on the open market? i'm gonna guess it still in the 8's. i definitely would not have done 7-years though.

None

Feb 22, 2012
the issue that i see is that they shouldn't have signed him in the first place. they should've traded him at the end of the last year. i get that Bruce came in had them playing at a high-level, however, it seems like they haven't really instilled confidence or been on the same page as him. he got that team to overperform imo.

as for JT Miller let's say he's unsigned. he's currently playing at a 72 pt pace, 255 pts in 245 gp or 85 pts/82 gp player in 4 seasons in VAN. goals/points are usual drivers of salary. what does that production get you on the open market? i'm gonna guess it still in the 8's. i definitely would not have done 7-years though.

Yeah, my point in waiting is that you'd get a better gauge of what JT Miller actually is as a player and probably come to the right conclusion that it doesn't make sense to keep him.

Edit: I think his closest production comparison was Sean Monahan's current contract which was 8.73 CH% in 2016 or like 7.2 million AAV. But Monahan was also a 22 year old RFA when he signed that.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, my point in waiting is that you'd get a better gauge of what JT Miller actually is as a player and probably come to the right conclusion that it doesn't make sense to keep him.

Edit: I think his closest production comparison was Sean Monahan's current contract which was 8.73 CH% in 2016 or like 7.2 million AAV. But Monahan was also a 22 year old RFA when he signed that.
right, im just saying i think he gets 8M or v close to on the open market based on his recent production. i just dont think VAN should've been the ones signing him to that.

Like you said, UFA vs RFA years, and JT Miller has been a higher producer in recent years and overall career-to-date PPG than what Monahan did prior to signing that deal. even then, 7.2 vs 8M, not a big difference really. Filip Forsberg and Landeskog's recent deals might be better comparisons? edit: Zibanejad as well.

Reactions: None

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I like the fact that we are getting more recognition because most of our conference rivals will play us harder to keep pace or gain ground and conversely our players will be going harder to stay on top.
This is a perfect scenario
I certainly don’t see the team backing away from the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad