Around the NHL – Part XL - Mod post page 249

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
No excuse always makes me laugh. Is there an excuse for a top 20 bust? What are allowable excuses for teams to miss on high draftpicks because they all do including Edmonton who also drafted McDavid and Leo.
What is so hard to understand? There are no excuses for missing on BACK TO BACK TOP 10 PICKS and having only Will Cuylle to show for it. Go look at the players that were drafted in both years after the Rangers picked. When you miss on high picks like that it sets the organization back big time. Management is paid to know what they are doing and at the very least not to have a number 7 and a number 9 pick be so utterly useless. That's why they get fired.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
What is so hard to understand? There are no excuses for missing on BACK TO BACK TOP 10 PICKS and having only Will Cuylle to show for it. Go look at the players that were drafted in both years after the Rangers picked. When you miss on high picks like that it sets the organization back big time. Management is paid to know what they are doing and at the very least not to have a number 7 and a number 9 pick be so utterly useless. That's why they get f

Except Gorton didn't get fired for that so you are rewriting history. Maybe you should volunteer to give your expertise to our future drafts?

Reactions: leetch99

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
What is so hard to understand? There are no excuses for missing on BACK TO BACK TOP 10 PICKS and having only Will Cuylle to show for it. Go look at the players that were drafted in both years after the Rangers picked. When you miss on high picks like that it sets the organization back big time. Management is paid to know what they are doing and at the very least not to have a number 7 and a number 9 pick be so utterly useless. That's why they get fired.
It's over and everyone from those scouting teams is essentially gone and replaced.

There is nothing else left. What are we going to do, put Clark, Gorton, and Bobrov in a public dunking booth?

As @Synergy27 said, the root cause analysis was all psychology based. The Rangers should employ a top psychologist to test these kids and figure out their emotional intelligence.

When Dolan fired Gorton and Davidson, there was outrage, confusion, and a lot of people here shocked thinking he went full impulsive man-child. However Gorton had all those headcases he drafted or signed in the org that quit on the team (Anderson, Kravstov, Gropp, Day, Stromwall, Zborovsky), or just were plain headcases (Kovacs, and even though he was traded I'd throw Saarela into that mix).

That's a major issue,

Except Gorton didn't get fired for that so you are rewriting history. Maybe you should volunteer to give your expertise to our future drafts?
See my post above. Part of the reason Gorton was fired was because of all the chaos and lack of....general management of the org going on behind the scenes.

It also didn't help that he had to basically beg Quinn with an exuberant amount of cash to coach here and he was terrible.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It's over and everyone from those scouting teams is essentially gone and replaced.

There is nothing else left. What are we going to do, put Clark, Gorton, and Bobrov in a public dunking booth?

As @Synergy27 said, the root cause analysis was all psychology based. The Rangers should employ a top psychologist to test these kids and figure out their emotional intelligence.

When Dolan fired Gorton and Davidson, there was outrage, confusion, and a lot of people here shocked thinking he went full impulsive man-child. However Gorton had all those headcases he drafted or signed in the org that quit on the team (Anderson, Kravstov, Gropp, Day, Stromwall, Zborovsky), or just were plain headcases (Kovacs, and even though he was traded I'd throw Saarela into that mix).

That's a major issue,

See my post above. Part of the reason Gorton was fired was because of all the chaos and lack of....general management of the org going on behind the scenes.

It also didn't help that he had to basically beg Quinn with an exuberant amount of cash to coach here and he was terrible.
Yup, it sure was a major issue and I'm glad they were fired. I found myself having to repeat why it was really bad to miss on back to back top 10 picks. I thought that would be pretty obvious.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Yup, it sure was a major issue and I'm glad they were fired. I found myself having to repeat why it was really bad to miss on back to back top 10 picks. I thought that would be pretty obvious.
Drury's drafting really starts being judged on a preliminary basis this fall with Othmann. Edstrom and Cullye are picks from the previous regime, but in the mold of players he likes.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Drury's drafting really starts being judged on a preliminary basis this fall with Othmann. Edstrom and Cullye are picks from the previous regime, but in the mold of players he likes.
I honestly like a lot of his picks so far including Othmann, BMB, Sykora, Grubbe, Barbashev, among others.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Bruins rested Bergeron, Marchand and Lindholm yesterday. Boston is getting ready for a long playoff run. Must be nice to have cap space to rest players for when the real season starts. They still beat a Carolina team trying to win their division. Carolina is vulnerable. Toronto was the better team on Saturday. The Rangers probably should have won the game last week in NY. The Bruins don't have three scoring lines. Hall played with Coyle prior to Hall getting hurt. Coyle hasn't been a top two center in the NHL. TB didn't have three scoring lines when they won back to back Cups. Goodrow, Gourde, Coleman and Maroon were huge contributors. The Blues didn't have three scoring lines. Colorado didn't have three scoring lines. They had a well balanced lineup. The Rangers are trying to win with three scoring lines. The template is there for them to follow.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
The Bruins rested Bergeron, Marchand and Lindholm yesterday. Boston is getting ready for a long playoff run. Must be nice to have cap space to rest players for when the real season starts. They still beat a Carolina team trying to win their division. Carolina is vulnerable. Toronto was the better team on Saturday. The Rangers probably should have won the game last week in NY. The Bruins don't have three scoring lines. Hall played with Coyle prior to Hall getting hurt. Coyle hasn't been a top two center in the NHL. TB didn't have three scoring lines when they won back to back Cups. Goodrow, Gourde, Coleman and Maroon were huge contributors. The Blues didn't have three scoring lines. Colorado didn't have three scoring lines. They had a well balanced lineup. The Rangers are trying to win with three scoring lines. The template is there for them to follow.
Rangers are at the top of the league in terms of GA. Middle of the pack in terms of GF. I don't think we can be considered to have 3 scoring lines, or at least they aren't doing their job of scoring like one. Also, the team being pretty good in regards to team defense points to the kids not being too much of a detriment. Cost shouldnt be a concern, but I think it will be, if that is what you are getting at. If they weren't 1 and 2 overall, who would even know their names?

What remains to be seen is if we can continue the stinginess in the playoffs. I don't hate the makeup of the team, but having 3 "scoring" lines is far from our problem. The problem is they don't score enough.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, but the Rangers will clinch a playoff spot tonight

IF

the Buffalo Sabres lose to the Montreal Canadiens in any fashion

AND

the Florida Panthers lose to the Ottawa Senators in regulation.

Last edited:

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
2017 was a shit draft. The Rangers desperately tried to move up to 3 to get Petterson but it takes two to make a deal.

I get the approach in 2017. Andersson was the safe pick and Chytil was the home run swing. The fact that Lias’ busted is just how it goes sometimes.

2018 was very much Gordie Clark and the rest of they scouting staff thinking they are the smartest in the room. No reason they should have went off board and not taken a guy like Wahlstrom, Dobson, Farabee etc
Arrogance comes back to bite you more often than not.

Reactions: gabevh3

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Not sure if it was mentioned elsewhere, but the Rangers will clinch a playoff spot tonight

IF

the Buffalo Sabres lose to the Montreal Canadiens in any fashion

AND

the Florida Panthers lose to the Ottawa Senators in regulation.
Pseudocoding, I love it.

69 saves is impressive. Kid's has .932 save % in 34 games played.

Reactions: egelband

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Teams like the Boston Bruins and New York Rangers may be feeling great about their goaltending heading into April, but they are more of an outlier than the typical team right now. The typical team, whether they are working on their scouting boards or preparing for the post season, is dealing with distress in net.

Reactions: gabevh3

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Some very interesting things here, as I think Carolina will win the division (their April is remarkably easy), so this would be something that we'd be looking at for a potential Round 2. I think this is one of the times where the advanced stats and the eye test tend to mesh on a team.

Get the puck in deep, funnel shots to the net. This formula is very playoff minded, since the time and space does get less and less, but playing that way for 82 games and then however many in the postseason, I don't think translates very well since most teams by then are employing these tactics more and more. Carolina can't shift their style of play and once you figure it out, it's over for them (case in point, the Rangers won 4 of 5 to win that series). This is a prime regular season team, and their style is why they tend to overperform year over year.

They would wreck Florida and Pittsburgh. If they manage to get a healthy Islanders team, it would not shock me that it goes 7. Clear edge in net for the Islanders. Sorokin can goalie the Canes right on out. I believe whoever they play in Round 2 will beat them.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We don't have three scoring lines either so I don't know what this is all about.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We don't have three scoring lines either so I don't know what this is all about.
its his new shtick

we should trade Laffy Chytil and Kakko for plugs

There's a reason teams dont have '3 scoring lines'... because it's hard to roster '3 scoring lines'.

We barely could roster 1 scoring player, for the past decade... let a lone a scoring line.... now we're complaining we have too many... three lines that can score, that's too much.

I get the balance view. Kane was over the top... I truly get it. Did we really need him? no.... Nevertheless, we have the deepest roster in the history of the organization... in a capped era. Any shortcomings will come from coaching or piss poor game play

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gloaming

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Big test for Devils tonight. Friedman and Marek talked about how teams think they can bully them. Isles are desperate, experienced and at home. Honestly pretty excited for this one as an interested 3rd party. Biggest game between these two in many years.

Reactions: egelband

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Big test for Devils tonight. Friedman and Marek talked about how teams think they can bully them. Isles are desperate, experienced and at home. Honestly pretty excited for this one as an interested 3rd party. Biggest game between these two in many years.
I'd REALLY love to watch Piles vs Swamp Rats 1st round... dont think it's possible anymore though, do not see Carolina falling off

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'd REALLY love to watch Piles vs Swamp Rats 1st round... dont think it's possible anymore though, do not see Carolina falling off

The book is out on the canes. We have an easier path to the ECF than any of the Atlantic teams. We should be playing against a damaged Bruins or Leafs with a chance at the Final. Thats my expectation at least.

Reactions: duhmetreE

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Funny that they think that because NO ONE has tried to with the exception of Florida and that wasn't so much bullying them as much as it was not missing an opportunity to throw a body on someone.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Panthers pretty much cooked. Lundell who has been below average this year takes one of the dumbest penalties with 4 min left in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad