Around the NHL – Part XL - Mod post page 249

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If he's getting healthy scratched in Vancouver it's hard for me to believe he's going to want to stick it out, but who knows.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
just got off the phone with a source in Vancouver...

he told me, they didn't want to risk injury to Kravtsov considering the season was lost.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Curious is anyone knows. Kravtsov was a failed draft pick. Andersson was a failed draft pick. These were significant assets that were squandered.

Do NHL teams do “root cause analysis” or some other type of process improvement in response to failures like this? I’m trying to come up with a good analogue in the business world. When a pattern like this emerges, large businesses certainly my don’t just ignore it, and will devote significant resources to ensuring it doesn’t happen again.

I understand the draft is a crapshoot, but it’s much less so in the top 10. Why did these kids fail? What has the team done (other than firing the guys that made the picks) to achieve more success in the future?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Curious is anyone knows. Kravtsov was a failed draft pick. Andersson was a failed draft pick. These were significant assets that were squandered.

Do NHL teams do “root cause analysis” or some other type of process improvement in response to failures like this? I’m trying to come up with a good analogue in the business world. When a pattern like this emerges, large businesses certainly my don’t just ignore it, and will devote significant resources to ensuring it doesn’t happen again.

I understand the draft is a crapshoot, but it’s much less so in the top 10. Why did these kids fail? What has the team done (other than firing the guys that made the picks) to achieve more success in the future?
In business, these failures usually require a post mortem.

But sports are weird, most of the actors involved in the decision making for Andersson and Kravtsov are already gone.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that when the decision makers aren't around for the post mortem, the blame just get heaved on them. And that's that.

Reactions: Synergy27

effen

Feb 3, 2018

But sports are weird, most of the actors involved in the decision making for Andersson and Kravtsov are already gone.

Unfortunately, it's been my experience that when the decision makers aren't around for the post mortem, the blame just get heaved on them. And that's that.
I don't think there's anything to learn. Andersson was a 'safe' pick in the mold of an ornery Western Canadian captain who hated to lose. If that works out, that's a 10 year piece There's no way to predict he'd literally never improve at skating and have an entitlement complex since he'd always been successful. Think Jamie Benn.

Krav, well, there's similarly no reason to expect him to be a creampuff weakling in his D-4 year. You're looking at a generic skill package in a 6-4 filled out frame which is a unicorn. People claim to love boom/bust picks till they brick on em. Happens.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Nik Bobrov.

That’s your root cause.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

The night Anderson was drafted both my dad and I said doesn't it sound like Chytil has much more upside? We tried hard to move up. They said we had number 7 in a 5 player draft or something like that. When Anderson was drafted they compared him to Jesper Fast. My dad loved Fast but I was like Fast at #7? Bottom line is some drafts you can hardly miss and other drafts are really hard to hit.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
2017 was a shit draft. The Rangers desperately tried to move up to 3 to get Petterson but it takes two to make a deal.

I get the approach in 2017. Andersson was the safe pick and Chytil was the home run swing. The fact that Lias’ busted is just how it goes sometimes.

2018 was very much Gordie Clark and the rest of they scouting staff thinking they are the smartest in the room. No reason they should have went off board and not taken a guy like Wahlstrom, Dobson, Farabee etc

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I don't think there's anything to learn. Andersson was a 'safe' pick in the mold of an ornery Western Canadian captain who hated to lose. If that works out, that's a 10 year piece There's no way to predict he'd literally never improve at skating and have an entitlement complex since he'd always been successful. Think Jamie Benn.

Krav, well, there's similarly no reason to expect him to be a creampuff weakling in his D-4 year. You're looking at a generic skill package in a 6-4 filled out frame which is a unicorn. People claim to love boom/bust picks till they brick on em. Happens.
You say there is nothing to learn... But just going off what you're saying, I'm hearing there is a systematic failure in psychological profiling. Either that, or it simply doesn't exist.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

This is what I assume happens. The turnover in sports orgs is fast. It’s still weird to see these massive businesses care so little about innovation and process improvement.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs and CLW

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
2017 was a shit draft. The Rangers desperately tried to move up to 3 to get Petterson but it takes two to make a deal.

I get the approach in 2017. Andersson was the safe pick and Chytil was the home run swing. The fact that Lias’ busted is just how it goes sometimes.

2018 was very much Gordie Clark and the rest of they scouting staff thinking they are the smartest in the room. No reason they should have went off board and not taken a guy like Wahlstrom, Dobson, Farabee etc
2017 wasn't a great draft but there are plenty of players drafted later, some way later, that carved out some decent to good careers so far. Back to back top 10 busts really hurt with only Cuylle to show for it.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
2017 wasn't a great draft but there are plenty of players drafted later, some way later, that carved out some decent to good careers so far. Back to back top 10 busts really hurt with only Cuylle to show for it.
If there are some good players drafted in later rounds that indicates all the teams in the NHL passed on them multiple times so it wasn't about us. We also have had our share of good players that other teams passed on. Happens to everyone.

Reactions: Nickmo82

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The night Anderson was drafted both my dad and I said doesn't it sound like Chytil has much more upside? We tried hard to move up. They said we had number 7 in a 5 player draft or something like that. When Anderson was drafted they compared him to Jesper Fast. My dad loved Fast but I was like Fast at #7? Bottom line is some drafts you can hardly miss and other drafts are really hard to hit.
It was a six man draft. Cody glass was made of glass and has done nothing, Nolan Patrick before the concussions looked like the forward version of Laf/Kakko, total ham and egger. Nothing special to his game at all.

It was a bad draft. The next 10 guys after Andersson only Necas is anything special. Suzuki is fine? Not a 1C by any stretch. Vilardi had back problems and made it as a winger. Tippet is a looter in a riot. Valinaki got waived this year. Sometimes it really do be like that.

You say there is nothing to learn... But just going off what you're saying, I'm hearing there is a systematic failure in psychological profiling. Either that, or it simply doesn't exist.
Theres basically no way the Rangers or anyone else has an edge in psychologically profiling 17 year olds. Think about what you're saying.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
If there are some good players drafted in later rounds that indicates all the teams in the NHL passed on them multiple times so it wasn't about us. We also have had our share of good players that other teams passed on. Happens to everyone.
I was talking about the first round after we picked 7th. 10-15 guys picked later that we wish we had instead of the bust Andersson. There is no excuse for back to back top 10 busts.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I was talking about the first round after we picked 7th. 10-15 guys picked later that we wish we had instead of the bust Andersson. There is no excuse for back to back top 10 busts.
No excuse always makes me laugh. Is there an excuse for a top 20 bust? What are allowable excuses for teams to miss on high draftpicks because they all do including Edmonton who also drafted McDavid and Leo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad