Around the NHL – Part XL - Mod post page 249

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Let me know the percentage of players drafted 26th overall (or lower) go on to play 871 games (and 124 playoff games) in the National Hockey League.

We acquired him at 25-years-old for a 3rd round pick and he gave us 5 very good seasons, considering his role. Our 4th line was dominant in '14 and a major reason we went to the finals.

Maybe we just weren't watching the same player.

Are we seriously having this conversation? If Boyle was anything but a first-round pick he wouldn't have been tagged a first-round bust. You don't draft players in the first round with the hope that they develop into a 4th liner on a bad team. The expectations are considerably higher.

I asked Chatgdp to describe Brian Boyle's NHL career. Here was its response.

Brian Boyle was a failed first round draft pick who went on to survive cancer while playing on the fourth line for the entirety of his career.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I asked Chatgdp to describe Brian Boyle's NHL career. Here was its response.

Brian Boyle was a failed first round draft pick who went on to survive cancer while playing on the fourth line for the entirety of his career.

Sounds like something fledgling AI might say.

A very late (26th) 1st round pick that plays nearly 900 NHL games isn't a "failure". He went to consecutive Cup finals on two different teams.

Chatgdp. :P

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Sounds like something fledgling AI might say.

A very late (26th) 1st round pick that plays nearly 900 NHL games isn't a "failure". He went to consecutive Cup finals on two different teams.

Chatgdp. :P
I never said he was a failure. I said as a first-round pick he was nothing short of a bust. He had a nice career
as 4th line center.

Read through that thread and the consensus was that he was a bust. The Kings gave up on him. He came to the Rangers and Torts saved his career. Torts got the very best out of Boyle. Had Torts not gotten out of him what he could (which by the way wasn't first-round draft numbers) Boyle would have been out of the NHL 12 years ago.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Famous quote from Nash and I may be off a little..

“If you want to skill it up, be prepared to get punched in the face”
That was in response to Zegras embarassing the Yotes shitty D last year. He's such an ass clown.

That Buffalo roster is stacked and they still somehow suck.
Yes but the future is bright. They need a solid #1 goalie & a couple of more steady D men. They have a crazy prospect pool.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
I never said he was a failure. I said as a first-round pick he was nothing short of a bust. He had a nice career
as 4th line center.

Read through that thread and the consensus was that he was a bust. The Kings gave up on him. He came to the Rangers and Torts saved his career. Torts got the very best out of Boyle. Had Torts not gotten out of him what he could (which by the way wasn't first-round draft numbers) Boyle would have been out of the NHL 12 years ago.

You obviously have a very different definition of the word bust and insane expectations of "first-round draft numbers" than everybody else.

Go poll 32 NHL GMs and ask them if they'd be over the moon with 900 NHL games from a 26th overall pick.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
You obviously have a very different definition of the word bust and insane expectations of "first-round draft numbers" than everybody else.

Go poll 32 NHL GMs and ask them if they'd be over the moon with 900 NHL games from a 26th overall pick.
For the third and final time, Boyle had a nice career in terms of longevity and the role he wound up playing. In terms of his draft position, he was a bust. For example, Vincent Trochek was drafted in the 3rd round pick and has played in 672 games with 435 points. Those are AMAZING numbers for a third-round pick. Most players picked in the third round don't make the NHL. Brian Boyle, first-round pick 871 games and 252 points. Those are disappointing numbers for a first-round pick. Boyle averaged 18 points per season.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Don't know why I put the devil's game on. Just ruined my good mood watching them fly all over the ice. Bing, bing, bing two quick ones. f*** that team

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
For the third and final time, Boyle had a nice career in terms of longevity and the role he wound up playing. In terms of his draft position, he was a bust. For example, Vincent Trochek was drafted in the 3rd round pick and has played in 672 games with 435 points. Those are AMAZING numbers for a third-round pick. Most players picked in the third round don't make the NHL. Brian Boyle, first-round pick 871 games and 252 points. Those are disappointing numbers for a first-round pick. Boyle averaged 18 points per season.
You say this so definitively. Do you have any idea what the average games played and points scored stats for players picked in the bottom third of the first round is?

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Don't know why I put the devil's game on. Just ruined my good mood watching them fly all over the ice. Bing, bing, bing two quick ones. f*** that team
Who cares. I hope they win every one of their games and finish first so we play the Canes. I also don't think if we do face them that home ice is going to matter one bit in the series.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Who cares. I hope they win every one of their games and finish first so we play the Canes. I also don't think if we do face them that home ice is going to matter one bit in the series.
idk even though unlikely still gotta root for them and the canes to lose as much as possible on the off chance we can pass them both

tlk

hARry kane comeS homE
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
Lol Goat just fumbled a grade A+ to put the Sens ahead

And the debbies score almost right after. Goat is the man jeez.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

I do agree with home ice probably not mattering but after being so far behind them, it would really be nice to catch them.

And I want them. I want to knock them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad