Around the NHL – Part XL - Mod post page 249

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm kind of curious if next season is a "reset" year where a lot of teams who emptied the cupboard for trades, and don't have ELC-ready players, end up missing the playoffs.

Guys like Cullye/Edstrom/Othmann adapting to the NHL game right away is going to be pivotal to next season's success.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If you would've asked me in 2018, who will play more NHL games in 2022-23 if both players are healthy, Lias Andersson or Dylan Mcilrath, I think I would've put $100 to win $10 on Andersson

Whoops.
I was a Gordie Clark fan for his work that led to the success of the Black and Blueshirts and AV teams, but it's clearly evident his "let's pick guys who elevate their games in the playoffs" strategy with subpar or decent regular season production was not a good strategy.

Both players listed above and Kravstov could have all been avoided.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The Rangers rebuilt the right way. The longer these teams let themselves be ok with losing, the harder it is to get out of it. Larkin has played in 5 career playoff games, and none since he was a rookie in 2017
Yeah. I wouldn't say the rangers did everything right - and I'm sure you're agree with that - but the basic premise: break it down violently for a year or two, collect as many lottery tickets as possible, then start building back up fast. That's probably the best way. Particularly for an O6 team. The leafs, until recently, and now Detroit and even Chicago, have been too timid. Boston gets a chefs kiss. Montreal still TBD.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly stuff like this is pushing me away from the sport. If it's more of the same lopsided calls that do the Rangers in during the playoffs, i'll be taking a break 100%
I wouldn't say it's team specific. The league and the players association are both run poorly. There is no imagination. They hired from a tiny pool of average to dim witted candidates. Zero vision. It's depressing to think of how the NHL is so misguided. It could be so so so much better.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Lmao that is such a dumb rule
I'd think there's a valid or at least plausible appeal out there. 'We thought the Lindgren injury was minor. Then - following day after the Kane trade we found the injury was more serious'.

That said, probably not worth the hassle.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If you are serious about taking concussions out of the game, its a lot more than open ice hits to the head.

To me, this is a perfect example of a play that didn't need to happen.

You have a scrum on a wall and even though Watson wasn't skating full speed into that area, he sure came in there with intent to inflict some damage. He could've pulled up instead of destroying a guy who's in a prone position, standing still, with no momentum, who's trapped against the wall. It doesnt always have to be from behind or an unsuspecting skater in open ice.

So you can say it isnt a charge (I think it is and thats how it was called on the ice, and after the crew has a chance to look at it), but it was unnecessary to follow through with such force. He drove him really hard to inflict some hurt, to send a message or just to blast a guy.

He also left his feet. The principle point of contact was the head. Im sorry. You can say Motte is shorter and that is why, but Watsons trajectory is upwards. If it was a straight check his head wouldnt have hit the glass with such force. You are essentially saying that this is a good play and has its place in todays game. If this were Crosby or McDavid, you are cool with that NHL? Ok. Sure.

And im not going to play favorites. If that was Trouba, i'd want him suspended for that. Many of his other hits were open ice bombs that players have skated into. Thats part of the game and its bang bang. Watson has time to make a decision here. Plenty. Its not all about the head-contact. Its about protecting a player who cant protect himself.

This isnt the first time Watson has left his feet and hit a guy facing him, in a prone position on the wall. He got two games for this hit. While it's worse than the Motte hit, it shows he has a pattern of this behavior targeting players in a position to be rocked, whether you want to determine Motte's hit away from the play or not.

Im not going to get all butthurt about it from the Rangers standpoint, it is what it is. But what drives me nuts is the hypocrisy. You want to protect players in this league, these are the hits/players where you start.

If they really want to get rid of head injuries (riiight...) they could take away cap space or even draft choices. Though the league refusing (obtusely, in my opinion) to label the hit illegal, to begin with, kind of nips that in the bud...

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yeah. I wouldn't say the rangers did everything right - and I'm sure you're agree with that - but the basic premise: break it down violently for a year or two, collect as many lottery tickets as possible, then start building back up fast. That's probably the best way. Particularly for an O6 team. The leafs, until recently, and now Detroit and even Chicago, have been too timid. Boston gets a chefs kiss. Montreal still TBD.

Totally agree that it wasn’t always smooth sailing, but the team went from tear down to Patty Kane’s #1 destination (and Vlad Tarasenko’s) in 5 years flat

Reactions: Greg02 and egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Dryden Hunt on the move again. Poor guy should just leave his suitcase packed at all times.

Greenway for a 2nd and 5th?

Does anyone know what Minnesota is doing? I sure don't.
Minnesota organization is the definition of fake hustle. They have no plan.

We've been playing short for a while now. As usual league changes rules when it comes to nyr. WWE has been more legit than the NHL for many years now. I take NHL games with a grain of salt .
Yep. One word: game management.

Reactions: gabevh3 and CLW

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So a few trade deadline observations:

-Hextall got both guys I went to bat for all season (Kulikov and Bonino)....what does this say about me? LOL
I think about stuff like this pretty often. It’s one thing to blindly fall in love with a team when you are a kid, but when you become an adult and start to understand the management aspect of the game, wouldn’t it make more sense to align yourself with a manager that makes the moves you would make in their shoes?

I know that’s easier said than done, and no one is going to be completely aligned with your own plan, but there are definitely teams that prioritize players types, in game strategies, etc. that are more in line with my preferences.

That’s how I became a Ranger fan in the first place. I should be a Devils fan, but watching Jacques Lemaire trap his way to victory in a swamp was way less appealing than watching Alex Kovalev embarrass people with his skill on Broadway.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think about stuff like this pretty often. It’s one thing to blindly fall in love with a team when you are a kid, but when you become an adult and start to understand the management aspect of the game, wouldn’t it make more sense to align yourself with a manager that makes the moves you would make in their shoes?

I know that’s easier said than done, and no one is going to be completely aligned with your own plan, but there are definitely teams that prioritize players types, in game strategies, etc. that are more in line with my preferences.

That’s how I became a Ranger fan in the first place. I should be a Devils fan, but watching Jacques Lemaire trap his way to victory in a swamp was way less appealing than watching Alex Kovalev embarrass people with his skill on Broadway.
Haha and as a kid was never a Hextall guy...and I'm still not.

This is a… take.

Trickle effect. I'm really hoping Kane leads the Rangers to some unstoppable three scoring line attack and a dream playoffs, but we've seen this song and dance before.

I'm more than happy to come on here in late June, eat crow, and retire from posting forever if the Rangers run house this postseason and go all the way. You can quote me on that too ;)

Reactions: leetch99

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Can someone explain to me like I’m 5 why we didn’t just put Motte/Lindgren on LTIR and made some moves to fully milk this thing like other teams have the past couple of years? Everyone else used it, now we’re trying to play by the rules?

Funny how it’s the opposite now in terms of the more appealing on ice watch… no ragrets

Reactions: egelband

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Carolina also playing a borderline exhibition game at Mullett Arena.

I can't remember as much of a bloodbath in our conference as this season.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Maybe if we still had a superstar like Kravtsov you’d still have pride in your team
I think I made this when we just drafted him, don’t confuse me for some Kravsucker (cough Edjovo).

And I truly lost hope in the way this organization does things ever since the game the Kings won the Cup. Seeing Henrik on the ice like that, and the organization never winning a cup for him with how he basically carries the team for 10 years, I’ll never forgive this franchise or fully trust whatever it is they try to do. Just about a full century of ineptitude with almost nothing to show for it.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think I made this when we just drafted him, don’t confuse me for some Kravsucker (cough Edjovo).

And I truly lost hope in the way this organization does things ever since the game the Kings won the Cup. Seeing Henrik on the ice like that, and the organization never winning a cup for him with how he basically carries the team for 10 years, I’ll never forgive this franchise or fully trust whatever it is they try to do. Just about a full century of ineptitude with almost nothing to show for it.

That was 10 years ago and there’s 1 player left from that team, not sure how it’s relevant. This one has a much better chance this year next year and the year after. But you and many others are worried about Jack Hughes and his 0 career playoff games. He’s no Crosby, let’s see how the Devils look with Mika & Trouba on his ass all series.

We have a good f***ing team with a ton of good players. In the playoffs the regular season standings mean less than shit. I’m rooting for the devils to win the division, because they will be lucky to get by an experienced team like the Isles or Penguins, let a alone the slow soft shitty Rangers

Last edited:

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011

This is very much how I feel, and I've been watching since the 87-88 season when I was 5 years old. We need more as fans than what this team has given us, especially compared to some of our biggest rivals, but if you don't support the team unconditionally around here, you have to be able to handle getting ripped for it.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I dont know why everyone is worried about the devils, we're comparable up front and we have edge in d and goalie imo. Games change in playoffs, the whistle goes away and Hughes will likely turn into Johnny Gaudreau in playoffs. Not saying we'll beat them but i dont think its a guaranteed loss for us.

Reactions: McRanger92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad